Jenkins Speaks - Page 9 - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Road > The Clinic

The Clinic The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Old 12-19-12, 01:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Page Mill Masochist View Post
Here is Sally Jenkins lecturing Barry Bonds.

And then here is Jenkins siding with Roger Clemens.

So let's sum up. Jenkins blasts Tiger Woods and Barry Bonds. But she goes easy on Joe Paterno and Clemens, and she celebrates Armstrong.

Does Jenkins adjust her standards by race? Gotta ask.
Interesting, never noticed that before. Sure seems like she has a double standard that aligns with skin color. Maybe she's never gone black?

Gods don't kill people, people with Gods kill people.
Old 12-19-12, 02:19

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Page Mill Masochist View Post
Here is Sally Jenkins lecturing Barry Bonds.

And then here is Jenkins siding with Roger Clemens.

So let's sum up. Jenkins blasts Tiger Woods and Barry Bonds. But she goes easy on Joe Paterno and Clemens, and she celebrates Armstrong.

Does Jenkins adjust her standards by race? Gotta ask.
Jenkins is a tool and an embarrassment. However, I found an instance of her supporting Marion Jones and reversing her assesment of Bonds. So it may not be fair to paint her as a racist.

"WADA is not working. Drug use has not been curbed, much less cured, at the elite level, while at the high school level upwards of 10 percent of boys may be using steroids, according to some estimates. Instead of solutions, we have showboat trials and vicious public condemnations of athletes such as Marion Jones. These are saddening, and they aren't getting us anywhere, except deeper into a vortex of bad law and science, black markets and failed social policy. During the home run chase, I excoriated Barry Bonds for everything from his collar size to his surliness, and I was wrong. What's needed is not sweeping judgment, but freer and more sympathetic discussion of the alternatives.

Basically, she's pro performance enhancing drugs. http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...101102285.html Still, I wonder how she feels about Armstrong taking PEDs with impunity while bringing down the heat on Hamilton? Even for Jenkins, you'd think this crosses an ethically boundary. I know, I know, it's not murder.. but still?

Last edited by Pazuzu; 12-19-12 at 02:23.
Old 12-19-12, 03:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pazuzu View Post
Jenkins is a tool and an embarrassment. However, I found an instance of her supporting Marion Jones and her assesment of Bonds. So it may not be fair to paint her as a racist.
Agreed evidence is a bit sketchy to say the least - to make quite such a sweeping accusation as yet...

Quote:
Basically, she's pro performance enhancing drugs.
Hilarious - wonder what made her change her mind? Lancey baby? Book deals baby? , not wanting to look like the biggest kretin in journalism since A. K. Nobhead of the Times covered Chemical Ali's pronouncement s of the war in Iraq as the truth.

Quote:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...101102285.html Still, I wonder how she feels about Armstrong taking PEDs with impunity while bringing down the heat on Hamilton? Even for Jenkins, you'd think this crosses an ethically boundary. I know, I know, it's not murder.. but still?
Hmm gotta feeling she's got no problem crossing ethical boundaries - just like Lance didn't..
Old 12-19-12, 03:36

Quote:
Jenkins is a tool and an embarrassment. However, I found an instance of her supporting Marion Jones and reversing her assesment of Bonds. So it may not be fair to paint her as a racist.

"WADA is not working. Drug use has not been curbed, much less cured, at the elite level, while at the high school level upwards of 10 percent of boys may be using steroids, according to some estimates. Instead of solutions, we have showboat trials and vicious public condemnations of athletes such as Marion Jones. These are saddening, and they aren't getting us anywhere, except deeper into a vortex of bad law and science, black markets and failed social policy. During the home run chase, I excoriated Barry Bonds for everything from his collar size to his surliness, and I was wrong. What's needed is not sweeping judgment, but freer and more sympathetic discussion of the alternatives.

Basically, she's pro performance enhancing drugs. http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...101102285.html Still, I wonder how she feels about Armstrong taking PEDs with impunity while bringing down the heat on Hamilton? Even for Jenkins, you'd think this crosses an ethically boundary. I know, I know, it's not murder.. but still?
This is very interesting. So she's not as hypocritical as I thought. She came out for legalizing PEDs back in 2007, at a time when LA was retired and undergoing no investigations or under any kind of pressure suggesting he might be outed as a doper. I didn't realize this. It does make her support of LA's doping more consistent. She didn't become a born again PED supporter only after LA was sanctioned. And she retracted her earlier statements about Bonds. She apparently is capable of admitting mistakes.

OK, Sally looks better to me now. There's still a lot of problems about LA and her relationship to him that she's not acknowledging. She would have far more credibility if she admitted LA was not just another doper. But to argue for permitting PEDs is a valid position, even if unpopular.
Old 12-19-12, 03:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merckx index View Post
This is very interesting. So she's not as hypocritical as I thought. She came out for legalizing PEDs back in 2007, at a time when LA was retired and undergoing no investigations or under any kind of pressure suggesting he might be outed as a doper. I didn't realize this. It does make her support of LA's doping more consistent. She didn't become a born again PED supporter only after LA was sanctioned. And she retracted her earlier statements about Bonds. She apparently is capable of admitting mistakes.

OK, Sally looks better to me now. There's still a lot of problems about LA and her relationship to him that she's not acknowledging. She would have far more credibility if she admitted LA was not just another doper. But to argue for permitting PEDs is a valid position, even if unpopular.
I think you might be forgetting the two books she penned whereby the story was he was clean.

If your stance is the permitting of doping then good. But to flog two books under the guise of the opposite is not only hypocritical but sick. Especially when the theme is cancer survival.
Old 12-19-12, 04:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehog View Post
I think you might be forgetting the two books she penned whereby the story was he was clean.

If your stance is the permitting of doping then good. But to flog two books under the guise of the opposite is not only hypocritical but sick. Especially when the theme is cancer survival.
Those books were published several years before she reversed her views on doping. So I don't see anything hypocritical about that, unless she knew all along that he was doping, which is a possibility. But if she did know, hypocrisy is the least of her sins.

In 2007 apparently she reversed her stand on PED use in sports. She was no longer writing books about LA then, nor even, as far as I know, writing columns about him. After all, he was retired at that point, and somewhat out of the news. If she still believed that LA had been clean those earlier years, there still would be nothing hypocritical about reversing her opinion at that point. Just because you think PED use in sports should be permitted doesn't mean you can't admire someone who you believe wins clean.

I agree with you about the cancer survival theme, though. It does smack of hypocrisy to support use of substances that may promote cancer, which may possibly have even caused LA's cancer. It would be very interesting to see her response to that. If it could somehow be proven that PED use did cause or make more likely LA's cancer, I wonder how she would continue to support their use.
Old 12-19-12, 07:05

You are all thinking too much. A biographer for hire maintains their franchise, particularly if the subject is controversial. Lance has always about myth manufacture and maintenence so I'm thinking she's already working on the next story. He's still got enough money to pay her even if his tome of resurrection doesn't sell.

Last edited by Oldman; 12-19-12 at 07:05. Reason: grammar
Old 12-19-12, 07:15

I am sure that the next book would out sell the previous volumes.I would certainly buy it.Like watching a car crash.A terrible thing but you can't turn away.
Old 12-19-12, 11:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by simo1733 View Post
I am sure that the next book would out sell the previous volumes.I would certainly buy it.Like watching a car crash.A terrible thing but you can't turn away.
If there is another book, pease do not buy it. You would be contributing to the farce and is exactly what they want.
Old 12-19-12, 12:57

Quote:

interesting quotes from jenkins. this is a wonderful example of ignorance about an issue and emotional reasoning. it appears to be the only tools her feeble mind has to work with.