Who will win the 2013 GIRO? (Second round) - Page 8 - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

View Poll Results: Who will win the 2013 GIRO?
Wiggins 52 30.41%
Nibali 51 29.82%
Rodriguez 11 6.43%
Hesjedal 10 5.85%
Gesink 21 12.28%
Sanchez 5 2.92%
Basso 6 3.51%
Scarponi 2 1.17%
A colombian 4 2.34%
Other/Vino 9 5.26%
Voters: 171. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 12-19-12, 09:28

Send a message via MSN to Dekker_Tifosi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18-Valve. (pithy) View Post
Of course he has a way bigger chance than Gesink, who needs to improve a sh!t ton over his 2012 level to be considered a podium contender. To just expect that that will happen is nothing more than wishful thinking, IMO. I think Nibali is generally more consistent than Hesjedal, though, although both have their bad days.
Don't be blinded by the Vuelta where he had virtually no preparation.
But yeah Gesink needs a combination of his 2010 climbing level with his 2011/2012 time trial level to be able to stand a chance. Remains to be seen..but if he has a flawless preparation for once...
Old 12-19-12, 09:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekker_Tifosi View Post
But yeah Gesink needs a combination of his 2010 climbing level with his 2011/2012 time trial level to be able to stand a chance. Remains to be seen..but if he has a flawless preparation for once...
Delahaye is still his trainer, so I'm not holding my breath
Old 12-19-12, 10:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekker_Tifosi View Post
you keep saying that for every race in the past 2 years of gesink his vuelta prep was fine. he even did the tour. this is just his level now. pathetic I know. when he was 22 he was already at his peak and the crashes and lack of mentality have only made it worse
Old 12-19-12, 10:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryo Hazuki View Post
you keep saying that for every race in the past 2 years of gesink his vuelta prep was fine. he even did the tour. this is just his level now. pathetic I know. when he was 22 he was already at his peak and the crashes and lack of mentality have only made it worse
You keep saying that for all of his career

BTW he was arguably at his strongest in the 2010... he was 24 then. And no, his Vuelta prep wasn't good at all. Remember Burgos?
Old 12-19-12, 13:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by theyoungest View Post
You keep saying that for all of his career

BTW he was arguably at his strongest in the 2010... he was 24 then. And no, his Vuelta prep wasn't good at all. Remember Burgos?
burgos? he crashed again there? don't remember. the vuelta in which he crashed was the best he ever was(2009?). the tour 2010 he also got dropped and lucky a few times that the peloton stopped. like in that final mountainstage. gesink looks and sounds in his 30s. he has only gotten less explosive since turning pro and he isn't improving for years now.
Old 12-19-12, 14:03

Quote:
burgos? he crashed again there? don't remember.
No, he didn't crash. He just wasn't as strong as Rabobank hoped for.
Old 12-20-12, 04:48

Quote:
burgos? he crashed again there? don't remember. the vuelta in which he crashed was the best he ever was(2009?). the tour 2010 he also got dropped and lucky a few times that the peloton stopped. like in that final mountainstage. gesink looks and sounds in his 30s. he has only gotten less explosive since turning pro and he isn't improving for years now.
agreed he was better in 2009 vuelta, at that point he looked super good. But he was pretty good at the 10' tour also, and had to help menchov also. He looked to be in the form of his life heading into lombardy in 10' though... then his father died which pretty much screwed his 2011 up along with injuries.

No way he had ideal prep for vuelta, that is failure to understand how the human body works. His injury was they type of injury that can destroy careers. I have my doubts on gesink now though, with that acceleration he will struggle to ever make a difference in the mountains. He will probably struggle to reach the heights he had potential to reach at this point, but to ignore the difficult two years he has had (and again the broken femur is serious business, I can only assume you've never broken a bone, let alone one that is so important for a cyclist) is simply ignorant.
Old 12-20-12, 06:42

voted gesink to win the Giro for purely sentimental reasons. Wish the guy all the best now that he is focusing on something else than the TdF, hopefully he doesn't crash.
Old 12-20-12, 08:59

Basso, Nibali is his waterboy.

I didn't want to start a thread for a single question, but can anyone point me to where/when details of the 2013 Giro Bio course may be published. I'm going to be half way around the world for a wedding in Italy next year which I will follow up with some riding, looking to do some of the big Giro climbs (Stelvio etc) so thought if the GiroBio is in the area at the same time and doing similar climbs to last year I might as well ride up beforehand and watch the future stars go by.

Cheers
Old 12-20-12, 09:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCutter View Post
Basso, Nibali is his waterboy.

I didn't want to start a thread for a single question, but can anyone point me to where/when details of the 2013 Giro Bio course may be published. I'm going to be half way around the world for a wedding in Italy next year which I will follow up with some riding, looking to do some of the big Giro climbs (Stelvio etc) so thought if the GiroBio is in the area at the same time and doing similar climbs to last year I might as well ride up beforehand and watch the future stars go by.

Cheers
Even Robo-basso would struggle to win the Giro with the mountain domestics Cannondale have...Caruso, Wurf, Salerno, and Sarmiento if he's lucky...perhaps Agostini might step up this year as well and fulfill his talents. Certainly that's not enough though to help a rider through the mountains of the Giro though
Closed Thread