2013 Speculation (and confirmation) thread - rider schedules and parcours - Page 18 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Old 12-19-12, 15:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrulo View Post
will this be the year machado finally delivers?
Depends on what you expect of him, of course. He'll do well in Algarve, I predict
Old 12-19-12, 16:31

Quote:
Machado and oliveira will have similar schedules next year.

machado starts at the TDU and oliveira in qatar and after that they will race the same races:

Volta ao Algarve (13-17 febrero)
Driedaagse Van West-Vlaanderen (1-3 marzo)
Volta a Catalunya (18-24 marzo)
Tour de Romandía (23-28 abril)
Giro de Italia (4-26 mayo)
Tour de Luxemburgo (12-16 junio)

both are pre selected to ride the vuelta.

will this be the year machado finally delivers?
Delivers what?
I don't know, he'll probably work for some 40-years old in both Catalunya and Romandie. Then drag himself to an anonymous top20 in the Giro. And what the hell is he doing at Van West-Vlaanderen? Maybe he'll win it the Sergent way if he gets his TT form back. And that's all Perhaps he'll win Algarve without Contador.
Old 12-19-12, 19:03
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by theyoungest View Post
Depends on what you expect of him, of course. He'll do well in Algarve, I predict
oh ya he is always good in algarve but i would hope for a trully good result at the giro or one of the more important 1 week races.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevim View Post
Delivers what?
I don't know, he'll probably work for some 40-years old in both Catalunya and Romandie. Then drag himself to an anonymous top20 in the Giro. And what the hell is he doing at Van West-Vlaanderen? Maybe he'll win it the Sergent way if he gets his TT form back. And that's all Perhaps he'll win Algarve without Contador.
he already rode himself into a top 20 position in the giro while being very unlucky with crashes and illness. honestly if he gets his peak right and doesn't crash or ill i would be very disappointed if he didn't improve significantly his performance.
Old 12-19-12, 19:13
Administrator

also just saw a picture of nelson oliveira from their last training camp, i knew he said he wanted to slim down to improve his climbing, but i never thought he wanted to make wiggins look like a sumo wrestler
Old 12-19-12, 19:18

Quote:
also just saw a picture of nelson oliveira from their last training camp, i knew he said he wanted to slim down to improve his climbing, but i never thought he wanted to make wiggins look like a sumo wrestler
Akebono "Wiggins" Taro:

Old 12-19-12, 22:17

Quote:
Oh well my guess is that if he couldn't climb with the weight he had, he never will considering he's was a thin guy already. We shall see.
About Machado, I'm still to be convinced he can climb at a really high level on a GT.
Old 12-19-12, 22:24
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevim View Post
Oh well my guess is that if he couldn't climb with the weight he had, he never will considering he's was a thin guy already. We shall see.
About Machado, I'm still to be convinced he can climb at a really high level on a GT.
i agree with both, particularly the first part, oliveira was already only 67 or 68 kilos last year and he couldn't climb at all, being 65 won't make any difference.

machado always struggled in the mountains even at the volta (even tho he might have been on a lighter diet then many of the riders beating him back then) but one can hope, his performance in trentino back in 2011 was pretty good
Old 12-20-12, 09:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Froome19 View Post
Do not know but I would guess Cataldo would go considering his nationality..
Besides for that I can only guess and say that I hope Uran does it rather than the Tour. Henao as well, Pate very likely will go there I think as he is invaluable as a GT domestique, Kennaugh will go as well I think to give him more GT experience. I would like Siutsou to go, but I think he may focus on the Tour. Puccio may ride his first GT and I hope Dombrowski gets a first GT ride as well as he wont go to the Tour..

In short I really have no clue..
Porte, Knees and Kennaugh are (more or less) confirmed for the Giro. As you say Cataldo is very likely but beyond that I haven't read anything with regards to where the Colombians and the Belarusians are going.

I doubt Puccio and Dombrowski will go to the Giro with Wiggins targeting victory because they're too young.

I think you're looking at something like:

Wiggins
Porte
A Colombian or Belarusian
A Colombian or Belarusian
Cataldo
Kennaugh
Knees
Pate/Zandio
Eisel as road captain?
Old 12-20-12, 10:00

Ian Boswell (American neo pro at Sky)

Mallorca Challenge, Volta ao Algarve, Paris-Nice, Critérium International, Vuelta al País Vasco, the Ardennes classics and Tour de Suisse.

He also compares meeting Wiggins as the same as meeting Armstrong...

http://velonews.competitor.com/2012/...ca-nice_269491
Old 12-20-12, 12:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRanton View Post
Ian Boswell (American neo pro at Sky)

Mallorca Challenge, Volta ao Algarve, Paris-Nice, Critérium International, Vuelta al País Vasco, the Ardennes classics and Tour de Suisse.

He also compares meeting Wiggins as the same as meeting Armstrong...

http://velonews.competitor.com/2012/...ca-nice_269491
wow. so the clinic can now savely assume wiggo is a mentaly disordered liar who is doped to the moon. what an idiot