Moderators - Page 296 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Feedback > About the forum

About the forum Drop in, give us some feedback and talk to the team

Old 12-19-12, 17:13

Moderators, read the Ferrari thread. How many times are you going to let this guy change his mind on what the facts really are. You have ruined this forum yourselves by allowing this sh*t show to continue. First it was Reynolds collected money, he was proven wrong and told to move on by a mod. He admits he made it up, and is now he is back to insisting that Reynolds collected "huge sums" in an effort to reply to another post.

THIS FORUM BLOWS BECAUSE OF THE MODS

And don't tell me to report it, because I have more than once.
Old 12-19-12, 17:36
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by spetsa View Post
Moderators, read the Ferrari thread. How many times are you going to let this guy change his mind on what the facts really are. You have ruined this forum yourselves by allowing this sh*t show to continue. First it was Reynolds collected money, he was proven wrong and told to move on by a mod. He admits he made it up, and is now he is back to insisting that Reynolds collected "huge sums" in an effort to reply to another post.

THIS FORUM BLOWS BECAUSE OF THE MODS

And don't tell me to report it, because I have more than once.
Can you read? I did not say "recieved" I said "won" "was awarded" - that is it was the outcome of a defamation case - and he did win before being overturned on jurisdiction.

The question is whether Ferrari might be able to launch a defamation or similar court action against USADA in which clearly the jurisdiction is US so the reason Reynolds did not collect is irrelevant in the context of the subject of the thread. Whether he was able to launch an action matters. And he did. So my answer was relevant and correct

Spetsa tries to make trouble where there is none.
If the "forum blows" it is because of posters trying to make trouble rather than discuss the issues.

Last edited by mountainrman; 12-19-12 at 17:38.
Old 12-19-12, 17:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrman View Post
Can you read? I did not say "recieved" I said "won" "was awarded" - that is it was the outcome of a defamation case - and he did win before being overturned on jurisdiction.

The question is whether Ferrari might be able to launch a defamation or similar court action against USADA in which clearly the jurisdiction is US so the reason Reynolds did not collect is irrelevant in the context of the subject of the thread. Whether he was able to launch an action matters. And he did. So my answer was relevant and correct

Spetsa tries to make trouble where there is none.
If the "forum blows" it is because of posters trying to make trouble rather than discuss the issues.
By your use of semantics, coupled with your skewed logic, our prisons are full of individuals who "won" hteir case.
Old 12-19-12, 17:56

Quite enough, please stop.

Some general thoughts. If we banned everyone here who ignored a moderator warning, most of the regulars in this forum would be banned. Without question. I for one don't get too worked up when warnings are ignored, if I did I'd go nuts around here. Consider that when you're screaming for a ban for another member, and ask if you'd want us to be as hard core about everyone as you want us to be about a particular person. We're not going to, it's rhetorical.

We're certainly willing to let a lot slide rather than react too quickly, and we're certainly not in the business of banning people because someone asks us to.

Also consider that you have no idea what we're doing behind the scenes, and it's by definition private communication with users.

Most of all, and most importantly, it would be great if some members didn't take all this SO seriously. It's just a forum. It's supposed to be fun, informative and interesting. It's not really any of those things when people get incredibly emotional about what goes on here.
Old 12-19-12, 19:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_flanders View Post
Most of all, and most importantly, it would be great if some members didn't take all this SO seriously. It's just a forum. It's supposed to be fun, informative and interesting. It's not really any of those things when people get incredibly emotional about what goes on here.
I agree with what you have said, but you do realise what happens when one individual is allowed to have "fun" by continually posting mis"information". It quickly becomes un"interesting".

Just a thought.
Old 12-19-12, 19:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_flanders View Post

Also consider that you have no idea what we're doing behind the scenes, and it's by definition private communication with users.
Neither do you (collectively) it would seem.

I was awarded a fine of 10 points by Susan on Tuesday for a denigrating personal reference towards another poster. I communicated with Susan about this by PM, and marveled at the little red blob in the lower right corner of the post because I had never seen this before.

Imagine my surprise when, some time later, the post in question disappeared! I wrote to Alpe, another admin, asking for an explanation, who had deleted the post, and why. Alpe reported that he did not know who had deleted the post.

I then re-posted (with some changes,) making the point about the deletion, and giving the mod in question the opportunity to either PM me, or post his reasoning. Nothing (so far).

[Old fart mode] - I have been regularly using all kinds of forums, and in every capacity, since 1999. There is simply NO excuse for any mod ever deleting posts without explanation, or at the very least informing the poster concerned. NO excuse at all, especially when the deleted post runs to many hundreds of words and the object causing offense is one word.

[/Old fart mode]
Old 12-19-12, 19:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amsterhammer View Post

I was awarded a fine of 10 points by Susan on Tuesday for a denigrating personal reference towards another poster. I communicated with Susan about this by PM, and marveled at the little red blob in the lower right corner of the post because I had never seen this before.

Imagine my surprise when, some time later, the post in question disappeared! I wrote to Alpe, another admin, asking for an explanation, who had deleted the post, and why. Alpe reported that he did not know who had deleted the post.

I then re-posted (with some changes,) making the point about the deletion, and giving the mod in question the opportunity to either PM me, or post his reasoning. Nothing (so far).

[Old fart mode] - I have been regularly using all kinds of forums, and in every capacity, since 1999. There is simply NO excuse for any mod ever deleting posts without explanation, or at the very least informing the poster concerned. NO excuse at all, especially when the deleted post runs to many hundreds of words and the object causing offense is one word.

[/Old fart mode]
maybe if you kept it short and sweet it wouldn't be so painful when they delete your stuff
Old 12-19-12, 19:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by patricknd View Post
maybe if you kept it short and sweet it wouldn't be so painful when they delete your stuff
patricknd haha you need to leave the Amsterhammer alone. Remember we know what it is like to have a moderator delete without explanation. Of course I have not really had that happen on this forum but you know where I am talking about.

Not that it matters but I thought the second edition or Rev A edition of Amsterhammer's post was not a problem. That is why I'm not a mod.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to everyone.
Old 12-19-12, 20:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amsterhammer View Post

[/Old fart mode]
You're making the assumption we all read all the forums and the mod in question (might well have been me) came back to the thread to see this change. We don't. Nor do we feel the need to personally address every deletion or discuss it.

Mods have to have leeway in making judgement calls on such items, there is logistically no way for us to synch on all such matters, so your expectation should reflect this reality.

For important matter such as bans, we do often (but not always) consult one another for feedback and histories.

Personally, I delete offending posts liberally instead of closing threads or banning people for repeat rule violations. One way to avoid all this is to stop violating the forum rules and police yourself.

For all members, please do take some responsibility for how this forum operates and I guarantee you'll find that it's a better forum. This is your forum, and ultimately you all all creating the content. Don't be a member who liberally insults others and expect that we'll clean it up perfectly to your satisfaction.

We really do try to do the right thing here. It would be much easier if you all did as well. If you are, this doesn't apply to you. Thanks.
Old 12-19-12, 21:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn_Wilson View Post
patricknd haha you need to leave the Amsterhammer alone. Remember we know what it is like to have a moderator delete without explanation. Of course I have not really had that happen on this forum but you know where I am talking about.

Not that it matters but I thought the second edition or Rev A edition of Amsterhammer's post was not a problem. That is why I'm not a mod.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to everyone.
amsterhammer isn't a bad sort for a ganja smoking hippie freak, but i like yankin his chain.

unless i misssed something on the first version of his post i'm not too sure why it was deleted. i didn't see anything that wasn't in the same vein as the post he was responding to in the first place