Official lance armstrong thread, part 2 (from september 2012) - Page 281 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > The Clinic

The Clinic The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Old 12-19-12, 11:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldman View Post
You must only get Black and White broadcasts on your TV. The world has a few shades of color if you look around.
If you're analogizing "pro cycling" to "the world," I'm not buying it. We've only got one world (with all it's hues), and we're obligated to make the best of that world.

We don't have to be stuck with the world of pro cycling--deprive it of financial support and it will die. That would be a good thing. Petitions and such are fine if they are presented to a receptive audience. McBruggen and the power structure that sustains it are demonstrably not receptive. Festina, Puerto, and Armstrong amply establish that.

There will and should always be bike races. There need not always be bike races sanctioned by the UCI.
Old 12-20-12, 11:24

Travis Tygart talks about the Armstrong case to The Guardian.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012...ance-armstrong
Old 12-20-12, 12:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert21 View Post

SO, I take from that article that TT feels like people don't like him and that he is a crusader for truth,justice and the American way.

Nope. He just wants sympathy. What a whiner.
Old 12-20-12, 12:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert21 View Post

It's difficult with interviews in text form to get a true sense of what they are really saying but some of the stuff in there seems a bit much.

For instance when he says the bit about how he despaired when he heard Lance wasn't going to come clean but refuse to fight the charges. I remember hearing him in a radio interview just after Lance decided not to fight and he sounded very excited.

He's done a good job but I find he comes across as a bit vain in that interview.
Old 12-20-12, 15:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briant_Gumble View Post
He's done a good job but I find he comes across as a bit vain in that interview.
He is vain. Tygart was never doing this for the sport, he was doing it for the attention. As was Novitzy for that matter. I bet Jeff is really ****ed about how much attention TT is getting.

Last edited by Aleajactaest; 12-20-12 at 15:23.
Old 12-20-12, 15:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleajactaest View Post
He is vain. Tygart was never doing this for the sport, he was doing it for the attention. As was Novitzy for that matter. I bet Jeff is really ****ed about how much attention TT is getting.
Attention from whom? Us here in the Clinic? Most people who watch ESPN 24/7 probably couldn't name those two guys even though they were mildly aware of the process taking place.
Old 12-20-12, 16:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleajactaest View Post
So anyone that purchases a product related to pro cycling is hypocritical and one of the few agency employees that have done anything to clean up pro cycling is "vain". Your view of the world is pretty concise and convenient from your cubicle.
Old 12-20-12, 17:17

Quote:
So anyone that purchases a product related to pro cycling is hypocritical and one of the few agency employees that have done anything to clean up pro cycling is "vain". Your view of the world is pretty concise and convenient from your cubicle.
He runs the organization, he does not do the work. There is no reason, save vanity, for him to end up being the public face of such as organization.

Now, to be perfectly honest, I'd be happy if USADA and WADA went away. Organizations like the UCI should police themselves. Relying on "outside" oversight is just giving up and admitting that you don't have the cojones to police yourself. Sadly true for the UCI.

I'm not clear where the purchases a product thing comes into play. Can you clarify that?
Old 12-20-12, 17:28

I have to disagree with Aleajacctaest here. UCI cannot and should not be the anti-drug enforcement agency for cycling. Their stated role is to further cycling. A positive test to a "name rider" is a detriment to cycling so thats an automatic conflict of interest. Think about it, when a star is out the interest in any event is reduced, sponsor interest is decreased, revenues are less. And therefore any sporting ban is a detriment to cycling, which is against UCI's stated purpose.
Old 12-20-12, 18:08

Quote:
If you want to strike a blow for change (albeit only a tiny blow), don't financially support the UCI or its sponsors. If you don't, don't.

It doesn't have to be a moral thing, or an all-or-nothing thing.