Moderators - Page 297 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Feedback > About the forum

About the forum Drop in, give us some feedback and talk to the team

Old 12-20-12, 00:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by spetsa View Post
I agree with what you have said, but you do realise what happens when one individual is allowed to have "fun" by continually posting mis"information". It quickly becomes un"interesting".

Just a thought.
sometimes it takes a while to figure out if they are trolling......or retarded.
Old 12-20-12, 12:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_flanders View Post
You're making the assumption we all read all the forums and the mod in question (might well have been me) came back to the thread to see this change. We don't. Nor do we feel the need to personally address every deletion or discuss it.
I have to say Red, this is an outrageous, laughable, and ultimately entirely unacceptable response.

You "might have" deleted my post? We're talking about the Cafe here, not the Clinic! How many posts get deleted in the Cafe? How many posts in the Cafe are dealt with by someone other than Alpe or Susan? You delete so many posts in the Cafe that you can't remember? I find that really, really hard to believe. Or, it wasn't you, but one of your colleagues who hasn't got the decency or guts to own up in public.

The point is, there was at most one word, or one phrase, in a very long post, a post that had already attracted a red mark from Susan, that might have conceivably been construed as being remotely offensive. It was, therefore, overkill of a gross and uncalled for nature to delete the entire post.

Quote:
Mods have to have leeway in making judgement calls on such items, there is logistically no way for us to synch on all such matters, so your expectation should reflect this reality.
In effect, you're admitting that the right hand has no idea what the left hand is doing behind the scenes. Once a post has been 'marked' or 'punished' by one mod, it surely should not be the business of another mod to then decide to delete the entire post - without comment, feedback, or informing the poster. This is a disgracefully sloppy state of affairs, and you should truly be ashamed to use this as any kind of excuse.

Quote:
For important matter such as bans, we do often (but not always) consult one another for feedback and histories.
I mod on a large forum that has existed since 1999. Like here, the mods/admins are all volunteers. No one has ever been banned there without prior consultation and some consensus of opinion amongst mods/admins. If CN intends for this forum to still exist in 2022, I would seriously suggest that you all start acting a little more 'professionally' so as to avoid situations where none of you claim to know who deleted a certain post, or why, and where the mod in question doesn't have the guts to justify his actions. It is no great shame to make a mistake, we're all human and mistakes can and do occur. Have the balls to admit to a mistake, or ****-up, instead of maintaining a mask of 'we're so busy' and 'we usually get it right'. Again, we're not talking about the Clinic!!!

Quote:
Personally, I delete offending posts liberally instead of closing threads or banning people for repeat rule violations. One way to avoid all this is to stop violating the forum rules and police yourself.
This comment in no way addresses my specific issue. As you know perfectly well, I'm talking about the Cafe in general, and the US politics topic in particular. I'm sure that not even you would claim that is a hotbed of unacceptable activity, one that requires more policing than Alpe gives it. Nor do I believe that you have ever had cause to "liberally" delete posts from the US topic. Ergo, IF you deleted my post, you know perfectly well that you did so - don't come with this "I might have" bs to suggest that there were so many deletions that you just can't remember.

Quote:
We really do try to do the right thing here. It would be much easier if you all did as well. If you are, this doesn't apply to you. Thanks.
Part of doing the right thing should be that you inform and explain about the occasional deletion that may take place in the usually laid back and trouble free Cafe. I can understand that you may not feel the need to explain a mass troll deletion in the Clinic, but this case is very different. I still want to see one of you stand up, take responsibility, admit to deleting my post, and explain why that was felt to be the right thing to do after it was clear that the post had already been 'punished' by a colleague.

Part of doing the right thing is also being honest, and not hiding behind 'it might have been me but I delete so much that I'm not sure'. Which, as I'm sure you must realize, sounds like utter bull when talking about the Cafe.
Old 12-20-12, 16:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebandit View Post
chill! 'tis only a forum..............write another post........................

besides................the world ends tomorrow................................

do you really expect that alien life will be able to extract your post from

tiny pieces of hard drive travelling through the cosmos?
I am heartened by the news that New Zealand is still there.

Chill? Almost like ice, me. I have re-posted, but that's not the point, is it?

I just feel that when I (or anyone else who asks politely for that matter,) as a long-time poster, and one who is not exactly known for being a troll or 'trouble-maker', ask for clarification and explanation for something that (imo) should not have happened, I deserve a more honest reply than 'it could have been me but I delete so much that I can't remember'. To put it in British parliamentary terms, I feel that the honourable adminstrator is being economical with the truth.

But if it wasn't Red with his failing memory, and it wasn't Susan, and it wasn't Alpe, we've still got an 'unknown' mod going around deleting posts without having the common decency to explain, or own up to, his actions.

It would have taken the person concerned maybe three minutes to leave a post in the relevant topic, or to send me a short PM of explanation. Is that really asking or expecting too much?
Old 12-20-12, 16:20

Today this conversation took place in the Alberto Contador Discussion thread.

Parrulo posts this:
Quote:
indeed it's hilarious how irrational some1 can become when blindly supporting some1. if it didn't came from Laflorecita i would even think it was a trolling.
Which I found insulting especially because he is a mod. I am used to getting insulted quite a lot and I don't really care. But as a moderator there are certain things you can't do. One is insulting forum members, even if it wasn't meant that way.

Quote:
To me this is pretty insulting especially since it's coming from a mod. You should know better.
Instead of apologizing or just ignoring me he thinks it is a good idea to **** me off even more

Quote:
/care, just a couple of posts ago you admit to have been pretty much trolling last night so you should feel lucky you don't get a warning/ban for it.

i do warn you that from now on i will consider your little "jokes" trolling and not that thoughts of a fangirl like i used to think, it only seems fair.
Just fyi I didn't admit to trolling, I just said my posts weren't entirely serious.

Now I can no longer be myself on this forum because it will be seen as trolling and will get me banned. This bothers me.

What bothers me even more is that Parrulo apparently believes I am not really a fangirl but a troll.

I hope this won't be ignored.
Old 12-20-12, 16:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amsterhammer View Post
I have to say Red, this is an outrageous, laughable, and ultimately entirely unacceptable response.

You "might have" deleted my post? We're talking about the Cafe here, not the Clinic! How many posts get deleted in the Cafe? How many posts in the Cafe are dealt with by someone other than Alpe or Susan? You delete so many posts in the Cafe that you can't remember? I find that really, really hard to believe. Or, it wasn't you, but one of your colleagues who hasn't got the decency or guts to own up in public.
I went back and looked after reading your post here and I did in fact delete your post.

It was filled with insults to other members in every paragraph, and also contained an ethnic slur against another member. After it was carded, there were of course a series of follow on posts which of course quoted your insulting, offensive rant and rebuked it...of course. Those were deleted as well. My opinion upon seeing all that was to remove the insulting, offensive commentary or remove it and give you a ban for it. I chose not to ban you.

You're welcome to launch your long, morally outraged diatribe here about it, but don't expect any satisfaction–you're completely out of line.

You can't grossly violate the forum rules and expect that we'll handle your content with kid gloves. It doesn't work that way.
Old 12-20-12, 16:48
Administrator

you should look up the definition of trolling. your "not serious" posts were getting serious responses and instead of just say "hey i wasn't being serious" you continued posting the same stuff which makes it seem like you wanted to get that reaction from other posters.

that's trolling.

also you seem to be pretty fast at getting your offended face on, but when cineteq and airstream did similar things you(and other posters) were fast on saying they were trolling and should be banned. they eventually dropped it and airstream only got a small ban for his continued dopping related posts on the road racing forum.

so why should different rules be applied to you? intended or not what you did was a bit trollish so just take it as a lesson and be careful in future.
Old 12-20-12, 17:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrulo View Post
you should look up the definition of trolling. your "not serious" posts were getting serious responses and instead of just say "hey i wasn't being serious" you continued posting the same stuff which makes it seem like you wanted to get that reaction from other posters.

that's trolling.
I apologize because that was not my intention.
Old 12-20-12, 17:04
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaFlorecita View Post
I apologize because that was not my intention.
see, wasn't that hard.

now be careful in future.

also glad to see i made it into your signature, but remember, "context is everything"
Old 12-20-12, 17:17

Barrus still wants his account and all his posts deleted.
Old 12-20-12, 17:47
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaFlorecita View Post
Barrus still wants his account and all his posts deleted.
Barrus must make that request personally.

Susan