The World Ends Friday - Page 3 - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Cafe > General

General Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Old 12-19-12, 11:05

Old 12-19-12, 11:10

Sadly, I've only seen this hysterical schedule for Friday in German, but at least Susan and Foxxy will have a good laugh!

Old 12-20-12, 14:05

It's now past 1 am in Australia on the 21st.

I'm still alive.
Old 12-20-12, 17:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphabet View Post
It's now past 1 am in Australia on the 21st.

I'm still alive.
Hmm... That raises some interesting questions. Will the Mayan Apocalypse follow the rules of currently established time zones? Also, just how long does it take to destroy the earth anyway? The Mayans didn't know about time zones, so I'd be really surprised if the apocalypse acts in the spirit of fairness by obliterating everyone at say 6:35pm their local time.

To be safe, I'm not buying any lottery tickets for the weekend. It's a long shot with lotteries anyway of course, but if the world does end on Friday I don't want some of my final thoughts to be 'Why the hell did I buy some lottery tickets for Saturday, it was completely pointless!'
Old 12-20-12, 20:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by trompe le monde View Post
Hmm... That raises some interesting questions. Will the Mayan Apocalypse follow the rules of currently established time zones? Also, just how long does it take to destroy the earth anyway? The Mayans didn't know about time zones, so I'd be really surprised if the apocalypse acts in the spirit of fairness by obliterating everyone at say 6:35pm their local time.

To be safe, I'm not buying any lottery tickets for the weekend. It's a long shot with lotteries anyway of course, but if the world does end on Friday I don't want some of my final thoughts to be 'Why the hell did I buy some lottery tickets for Saturday, it was completely pointless!'
It seems I was mistaken. The nominated time is still 15 hours away, even though it's now the morning of the 21st over here.
Old 12-20-12, 22:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphabet View Post
It seems I was mistaken. The nominated time is still 15 hours away, even though it's now the morning of the 21st over here.
How you holding out? Is everyone out there - minus the natural deaths etc - in Australia still alive?

Truth be told, I don't know when it will happen. I figured sometime in the evening because then it will most likely be on the nightly news and many people will know. There's nothing worse than an apocalypse that catches people off guard. You'd think the powers that be that unleash such a hell storm would have at least a little bit of courtesy.

I have a mild threshold for pain. How many aspirins should I take to tolerate the heat of a thousand suns and molten rocks crashing into the earth? Also, with the heat, should I put on any sunscreen? Will it help?

By the way, anyone out their have an apocalypse clause in their home insurance? I would hate to survive the damn thing only to discover I wasn't covered.
Old 12-21-12, 01:10

I'll be drunk. And then again on saturday because i survived The End of The World.

Cheers mates.
Old 12-21-12, 01:25

I reckon the Mayas were on the equivalent of US CDT, though of course, it would have been CST for them, since they didn't have daylight saving time yet.
Old 12-21-12, 01:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Westemeyer View Post
But what I want to know is, when is this going to happen? What time of day? Central European Time or Mayan time? does my husband need to set his alarm clock as usual? Should we put the trash can out for pick up?

I do think though that I will leave enough catfood in Kitty's bowl overnight, otherwise my world really might end.....

susan
don't think you can have a specific time as such.
there was nothing predicted by the Mayan calendar's 'cycle' ending.
The way they worked their calendar, the cycle it follows finishes at the same time as the earth and our solar system aligns with the exact centre of the galaxy. Cool that this only occurs every 26,000 years, so it'll be something to tell the grand-kiddies.

Not sure that such an alignment can be timed to the exact hour, minute, etc... Sorry to disappoint on the alarm clock theory...
Old 12-21-12, 02:20

Still alive...you should be happy I am still here.
second post ever after reading the forum for the last few years and one thing i must say, ACF94 is probably the most intelligent poster here, never biased to BMC or Cadel, and never gets worked up over anything.