Sky - Page 1026 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > The Clinic

The Clinic The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Old 12-21-12, 08:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dear Wiggo View Post
Voted most exciting race for 2012, with 33% of the vote. I think last year the Tour won with 64% of the vote. But hey, a win is a win, right?
At times, I question whether I should come near this forum.
This, was one of those times:

Quote:
1 Tour de France 33.24%
2 Giro d'Italia 27.75%
3 Vuelta a Espaņa 23.14%
4 Amgen Tour of California 6.45%
5 USA Pro Cycling Challenge 6.27%
I mean, wtf?
Old 12-21-12, 09:30

2011 Reader's poll:

Quote:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/2011...est-stage-race
1 Tour de France 14,042 (64.9%)
2 Giro d'Italia 3,373 (15.6%)
3 Vuelta a España 1,182 (5.5%)
Marginal losses FTW!

Clearly, Evans > Wiggins.
Old 12-21-12, 09:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellow Velo View Post
+1
Horrible to watch.
THE preferred modern method.
The method that most teams aspire to.
We've seen it time and again and it is deadly DULL.
Lib Seguros-Caisse-Moviestar at La Vuelta.
Lampre-Liquigas at Il Giro. (usually only until a decent climb, hence Giro, numero uno)
HTC at Le Tour.

With the possible exception of the old LS, none so USPS-like as Sky.
If they ride at a terrifying pace then so be it. I'd much rather watch EBH/Rogers/Porte demolish the field for 100km than the bunch holding hands whilst some irrelevant rogues mess about up front. Even on final climbs, Sky on LPdBF was the better than all but the final two days of the Giro.

Problem is stage design and team size. It is too easy to control with the weak stages we have become accustomed to and 9 man squads. Even this up and it gives tactical options to other teams.
Old 12-21-12, 10:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by the sceptic View Post
What would you say is the difference between skys domination in the 2012 tour and Postals domination in the Lance years?
In the Postal years, USPS kept the pace high, dropped riders, then Armstring would attack and often win the stage.

In the Sky year, Sky kept the pace reasonably high, prevented people from attacking, and the breakaway won the stage
Old 12-21-12, 10:20
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dear Wiggo View Post
Voted most exciting race for 2012, with 33% of the vote. I think last year the Tour won with 64% of the vote. But hey, a win is a win, right?
I'm not sure of the relevance of this comment. Sky were there to win the Tour, not provide excitement.

I don't think even the most ardent Sky fan would claim this year's Tour was won excitingly, whereas even Evans' biggest detractor would happily admit that the stages where Schleck and Berto attacked from a long way out were very exciting.

The whole point of this thread is whether or not Sky were winning clean this year.
Old 12-21-12, 10:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferryman View Post
Not evidence or intuition. But I saw what I saw in the days of USPS domination and I saw what I saw this year. And I have to tell you I was F***** depressed to the extent that I was almost giving up on this sport. I really thought that those days had gone.
The problem here is not a team riding on the front and dominating, but that USPS did it through illegal performance enhancing drugs. If you look back through the history of the sport - and it IS a team sport - then the strongest teams have often done this to win races. From Rik Van Looy's Red guard (flat and classics), the Panasonic wall in the classics etc right the way through. Some teams aren't strong enough to manage it (ADR were particularly poor ).

As a tactic it may be boring, but if it works it works. If it is done illegally a la USPS it is a different matter. That one team sets the pace, with reasonable climbers, means it has a game plan but does not absolutely indicate doping
Old 12-21-12, 11:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine Seguros View Post
I think we can both agree on one thing, though. If Sky truly are a clean team, they have done a completely fricking horrible job of showcasing that. So far their policy of publicising clean cycling has consisted of the following plan:
1) win races
2) ?
3) say it was clean
So a million miles from all the other teams...
Old 12-21-12, 11:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyFingers View Post
Precisely what I thought when I saw that post.
That post could have fit into nearly any other team just as well.
What makes Sky stand out and what is the reason for all these haters is their dominance. It could be an indication of doping but only could be considered proof in alignment with other factors and in that, all teams actually have the same problem.

A similar example is with Katusha who have had their WT licence withheld due to their ethical aspects. What makes it such a farce is that Katusha seem to only be a scapegoat considering that their ethical aspects are certainly not much worse than teams like Astana or Lampre.
Old 12-21-12, 11:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyFingers View Post

Who said the other teams are clean. I certainly wouldn't accept anyone claiming euskaltel or lotto or lampre or bmc ( just random examples) are new breed anti.dopers any more than i accept sky when they claim that.
If there's a 1% suspicion or doubt that a team is working with certain doctors, then they shouldn't be invited to the Tour de France - as simple as that.
journalist with integrity.
Old 12-21-12, 11:44

^ fool me once...