U.S. Politics - Page 587 - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Cafe > General

General Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #5861  
Old 12-21-12, 15:13
ChrisE's Avatar
ChrisE ChrisE is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 3,248
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn_Wilson View Post
Man that first sentence alone is going to bring the heat.

I see how the gun issue will play out. Just more of the same.

Constitutional issues really frustrate the f out of me sometimes. No room for interpretations .....like it is the King James version of the Holy Bible. WTF.
It's not gonna "play out" at all.

Coward in Chief appointed a "commission". This is code for ****ing around for awhile until all of this emotion calms down, then out of sight out of mind. Whatever neutered **** comes out of that commission will not go anywhere. Don't want to upset those "values" voters that the dems are on the verge of getting.

If Coward in Chief was a leader, he would be banging congress for new laws right now, press conferences every day raising hell on the subject. He would be callingout the nutjobs running to walmart to buy guns, when I am sure they already have a closet full of them. That's called leadership. **** a commission.

Of course, trying to figure out what to sacrifice to appease wingnuts in the fiscal negotiations is probably taking all of his energy. Maybe I am being too hard on him; it must take alot of effort to be so spineless in so many areas.

I doubt he shows much emotion over the innocents he kills daily in ****ed up wars and with drones, ensuring a never-ending supply of evil doers to continue the military industrial complex in this country. I am sure there are some young innocent kids being killed in our fight for freedom, but that is ok. We are the good guys.
__________________
"He called me a baboon, he thinks I'm his wife." - Al Czervik
Reply With Quote
  #5862  
Old 12-21-12, 15:26
rhubroma's Avatar
rhubroma rhubroma is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 5,502
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by patricknd View Post
spoken like a man who likes to take a drink


organized crime likes to supply what the customer wants, i'd expect the same to happen
Well if it has anything to do with fine wine that is a fair assessment.

As to the later point, well that depends on mass psychology which is influenced by certain constraints.
Reply With Quote
  #5863  
Old 12-21-12, 15:43
VeloCity's Avatar
VeloCity VeloCity is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 3,096
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott SoCal View Post
And they are almost always linked to some mental illness and jumpers usually befuddle mental health professionals because it's deemed the most impulsive.
And that gun in their dad's closet makes it a hell of a lot easier to act.

Quote:
So now we have to bann tall buildings and bridges.
It's pretty amazing to me how cavalier you "pro-lifers" are about the avoidable damage and destruction wrought by guns (but then again, they don't really affect zygotes and fetuses, do they). There is actually a lot that we can do to substantially lower the death-by-gun rate but you guys don't seem in the least bit interested. Personally, I wonder more about the mental health of people who value guns over people.
Reply With Quote
  #5864  
Old 12-21-12, 15:54
patricknd's Avatar
patricknd patricknd is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: houston texas
Posts: 1,660
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeloCity View Post
And that gun in their dad's closet makes it a hell of a lot easier to act.

It's pretty amazing to me how cavalier you "pro-lifers" are about the avoidable damage and destruction wrought by guns (but then again, they don't really affect zygotes and fetuses, do they). There is actually a lot that we can do to substantially lower the death-by-gun rate but you guys don't seem in the least bit interested. Personally, I wonder more about the mental health of people who value guns over people.
the gun that should have a trigger lock installed when not in use, or be secured in a gun safe.
Reply With Quote
  #5865  
Old 12-21-12, 17:15
Scott SoCal's Avatar
Scott SoCal Scott SoCal is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Southern California
Posts: 4,191
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeloCity View Post
And that gun in their dad's closet makes it a hell of a lot easier to act.

It's pretty amazing to me how cavalier you "pro-lifers" are about the avoidable damage and destruction wrought by guns (but then again, they don't really affect zygotes and fetuses, do they). There is actually a lot that we can do to substantially lower the death-by-gun rate but you guys don't seem in the least bit interested. Personally, I wonder more about the mental health of people who value guns over people.

And you pro choicers are anything but.

Make sure you put form over substance whenever possible, eh Velo?
__________________
Instigating profanity laced tirades since 2009
Reply With Quote
  #5866  
Old 12-21-12, 17:29
Amsterhammer's Avatar
Amsterhammer Amsterhammer is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Amsterdam
Posts: 3,326
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisE View Post
Perhaps someobody told Brodeal that LA was for gun control, and that has caused him to bust a spring.
You could be onto something there. My casual inquiry about the apparent major inconsistencies between BD's known politics, and his sudden gung-ho support for guns and the holy words of the Second Amendment was what started a whole kerfuffle pages back, so maybe it's best not to go there. Hitch thinks that BD's inconsistency is just proof of his independent thought, as opposed to the rest of us lemmings who follow a party line on everything.

People grow up very differently. The first and only time in my life that I held a gun in my hand and shot it was in Wyoming, a very long time ago. I was aiming at an old engine block inside a run down shed, shooting through the wooden walls. It was different, and a little frightening. I didn't get any kind of macho hard on from it. I also got taken on a deer hunt (without gun). I thought the guys I was with were all very responsible and I felt safe, dropping back and hiding behind trees.

That's it, the sum total of my contact with guns. I have never even seen a gun up close in all my years in Europe (not counting police with holstered weapons). I decided long ago that I had absolutely no interest or desire to have anything to do with guns. As a rational man though, I can understand how the history of the US has had a great deal to do with how and why so many Americans view guns in a different way to Europeans, who do not share the same frontier heritage, or the widespread tradition of hunting.

So, while I might wish - in theory - that all guns were illegal for private citizens, I totally accept - in practice, that ain't gonna happen in the US, ever. What should be possible however, is to tighten up existing regulations substantially, initiate comprehensive, nationwide, federal legislation for background checks, waiting periods, and ongoing fitness to own a gun checks after purchase. Further, ban certain categories of weapons and extras like the extended clips, silencers and so on, as you suggested in your post that concluded that your position made you both a gun nut and a pinko liberal.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisE View Post
It's not gonna "play out" at all.

Coward in Chief appointed a "commission". This is code for ****ing around for awhile until all of this emotion calms down, then out of sight out of mind. Whatever neutered **** comes out of that commission will not go anywhere. Don't want to upset those "values" voters that the dems are on the verge of getting.

If Coward in Chief was a leader, he would be banging congress for new laws right now, press conferences every day raising hell on the subject. He would be callingout the nutjobs running to walmart to buy guns, when I am sure they already have a closet full of them. That's called leadership. **** a commission.

Of course, trying to figure out what to sacrifice to appease wingnuts in the fiscal negotiations is probably taking all of his energy. Maybe I am being too hard on him; it must take alot of effort to be so spineless in so many areas.

I doubt he shows much emotion over the innocents he kills daily in ****ed up wars and with drones, ensuring a never-ending supply of evil doers to continue the military industrial complex in this country. I am sure there are some young innocent kids being killed in our fight for freedom, but that is ok. We are the good guys.
I can't help but agree with virtually all of this. My only comment would be that I heard him say that Biden's 'report' had to be in by the end of January, which is soon enough to ensure that the subject won't have fallen off the table yet. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt till then, though like you, I expect to be disappointed by whatever the final package will be.

I also wish he'd show more cojones with the Congress and kick some serious *** up there. Looks like Boehner shot himself in the foot big time yesterday, which apparently increases the chances of some pre-cliff compromise being reached..
__________________
The LOTE has won, all hail the LOTE.
Reply With Quote
  #5867  
Old 12-21-12, 17:52
aphronesis aphronesis is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,737
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amsterhammer View Post
You could be onto something there. My casual inquiry about the apparent major inconsistencies between BD's known politics, and his sudden gung-ho support for guns and the holy words of the Second Amendment was what started a whole kerfuffle pages back, so maybe it's best not to go there. Hitch thinks that BD's inconsistency is just proof of his independent thought, as opposed to the rest of us lemmings who follow a party line on everything.

People grow up very differently. The first and only time in my life that I held a gun in my hand and shot it was in Wyoming, a very long time ago. I was aiming at an old engine block inside a run down shed, shooting through the wooden walls. It was different, and a little frightening. I didn't get any kind of macho hard on from it. I also got taken on a deer hunt (without gun). I thought the guys I was with were all very responsible and I felt safe, dropping back and hiding behind trees.

That's it, the sum total of my contact with guns. I have never even seen a gun up close in all my years in Europe (not counting police with holstered weapons). I decided long ago that I had absolutely no interest or desire to have anything to do with guns. As a rational man though, I can understand how the history of the US has had a great deal to do with how and why so many Americans view guns in a different way to Europeans, who do not share the same frontier heritage, or the widespread tradition of hunting.

So, while I might wish - in theory - that all guns were illegal for private citizens, I totally accept - in practice, that ain't gonna happen in the US, ever. What should be possible however, is to tighten up existing regulations substantially, initiate comprehensive, nationwide, federal legislation for background checks, waiting periods, and ongoing fitness to own a gun checks after purchase. Further, ban certain categories of weapons and extras like the extended clips, silencers and so on, as you suggested in your post that concluded that your position made you both a gun nut and a pinko liberal.




I can't help but agree with virtually all of this. My only comment would be that I heard him say that Biden's 'report' had to be in by the end of January, which is soon enough to ensure that the subject won't have fallen off the table yet. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt till then, though like you, I expect to be disappointed by whatever the final package will be.

I also wish he'd show more cojones with the Congress and kick some serious *** up there. Looks like Boehner shot himself in the foot big time yesterday, which apparently increases the chances of some pre-cliff compromise being reached..
You don't have to belong to political party to be able to debate certain issues--especially from all sides of the matter--and to take a more nuanced view than those on offer in the media. Patrick suggested as much above. I also have known (some years ago) many people who use guns strictly for hunting and defense of livestock. And that's perfectly fine as far as it goes. One thing that's inarguable though is the ascent of the gun lobbies as a political body in the late '70s and the transformation of the personal weapons industry into a polarizing political issue. What this really underscores is the absolute polticization of virtually all aspects and issues of everday life to the point that a lot of nothing gets said and very little of substance is achieved.
Reply With Quote
  #5868  
Old 12-21-12, 18:12
Hugh Januss's Avatar
Hugh Januss Hugh Januss is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: socal
Posts: 5,902
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by patricknd View Post
the gun that should have a trigger lock installed when not in use, or be secured in a gun safe.
Scott would never keep his gun in a safe, it must always be at the ready in case he has to blow away an intruder.
__________________
"Science flies us to the moon. Religion flies us into buildings."

Proud member of the Clinic 1200
Reply With Quote
  #5869  
Old 12-21-12, 18:30
Scott SoCal's Avatar
Scott SoCal Scott SoCal is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Southern California
Posts: 4,191
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Januss View Post
Scott would never keep his gun in a safe, it must always be at the ready in case he has to blow away an intruder.

I don't own a gun or a baseball bat. I live in a single story house so I can't even jump off the second floor. I do drink alcoholic beverages though.

I guess I'm the fool because my first response isn't blaming the inanimate object.
__________________
Instigating profanity laced tirades since 2009
Reply With Quote
  #5870  
Old 12-21-12, 18:39
aphronesis aphronesis is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,737
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott SoCal View Post
I don't own a gun or a baseball bat. I live in a single story house so I can't even jump off the second floor. I do drink alcoholic beverages though.

I guess I'm the fool because my first response isn't blaming the inanimate object.
I would definitely blame the person first. And the social deficiencies that allowed them to get to the point they were at. So let's say he had to use alternate means: strangles his mom and sets explosives all around the school. Assuming he had the wherewithal to do that undetected (which is not entirely clear) then it's true that the body count would be even higher. And then what would the terms of this discussion look like?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 23:42.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2006 - 2009 Future Publishing Limited. All rights reserved. Future Publishing Limited is part of the Future plc group. Future Publishing Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with company registration number 2008885 whose registered office is at Beauford Court 30 Monmouth Street Bath, UK BA1 2BW England.