"The Secret Pro" on Katusha and doping - Page 6 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > The Clinic

The Clinic The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Old 12-21-12, 12:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphabet View Post
The Guardian run a similar column called The Secret Footballer. It's all rubbish. I'm certain that both the Secret Footballer and the Secret Pro are both journalists.
That's almost certainly Dave Kitson.
Old 12-21-12, 16:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn_Wilson View Post
It is great to know that Merikah is the best at doping. Well best at it until he got busted.
Thom Wiesel is your man behind the scenes! Every cycling team the guy was behind has had numerous doping allegations follow them. USPS was the only one that got busted, and he gets away Scot free!

The Secret Pro is another variation on the UCI's "cleanest peloton ever." Until the 2012 Sky scandal breaks open.
Old 12-21-12, 17:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by auscyclefan94 View Post
Could be Matt Lloyd. He is someone enigmatic enough to be the Secret Pro and roomed with Evans. Also is known to have associated with Wade Wallace.
You have got to be kidding me.

"You might think I sound like a fool, but [doping] just does not happen on my team."

Lampre. Lampre.
...[Walsh] thinks we're ahead of the curve. But think about it for a sec. We're building long-lasting, trusting relationships with people who are spending a lot of money - Coke, Nike, Subaru. If we're f***ing lying, we can kiss it all goodbye. And if we were lying we'd do some stupid stuff to try to cover it up, wouldn't we? Does anybody think for a second that a secret that big wouldn't come out? Bill Stapleton
Old 12-21-12, 18:08

Rather than speculate on the identity, I suggest far more fruitful to examine the original post.

Taken at face value I am prepared to accept that the thoughts are that of a current pro and I am grateful to receive some insight on the attitude of this pro. Such comments are also likely representative of a significant proportion of the peloton. As such...these thoughts are useful insights into some of the current attitudes prevalent in the peloton.

The post seems to reflect an attitude somewhat congruent with Horner and O'Grady. And we are left with the same old problem...How do we discern the outright honest rider from somewhat defensive rider from the head in the sand omerta upholder from the previous doper from the current doper?

As others have indicated previously, each "generation" repeats the mantra: cycling is cleaner/much cleaner/clean and is upset when confronted with contrary opinion/evidence. Even now we have riders testing positive for EPO etc, And I/we believe/know that testing, at least up to the immediate past, detects only a small fraction of those that are doping.

Therefore a reasonable conclusion is that current testing and "dobbing in" is still only revealing some of dopers. Maybe the peloton is "cleaner", my guess is yes, but we still have a way to go.

Measured against the above, the Secret Pro's thoughts are indeed informative...that the peloton has a way to go in developing a truly anti doping posture.

Edit: I advocate ceasing speculation on the who. Rather we welcome the continue dialogue and focus on what the thoughts/window on the peloton reveals.

Last edited by johnsiviour; 12-21-12 at 18:11.
Old 12-21-12, 18:27

Lampre clean? No chance!
Old 12-21-12, 19:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by will10 View Post
You have got to be kidding me.

"You might think I sound like a fool, but [doping] just does not happen on my team."

Lampre. Lampre.
So? No matter how dirty his team is, he'd say the same thing.
Old 12-21-12, 19:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrotha View Post
So? No matter how dirty his team is, he'd say the same thing.
Dunno about that, the Italian riders have kept pretty quiet while Mantova rumbles on.
...[Walsh] thinks we're ahead of the curve. But think about it for a sec. We're building long-lasting, trusting relationships with people who are spending a lot of money - Coke, Nike, Subaru. If we're f***ing lying, we can kiss it all goodbye. And if we were lying we'd do some stupid stuff to try to cover it up, wouldn't we? Does anybody think for a second that a secret that big wouldn't come out? Bill Stapleton
Old 12-21-12, 20:25

Quote:
i swear in Britain the first thing that comes.up is - contador doping
Quote:
Originally Posted by Netserk View Post
For.me.doping comes.first.
If there's a 1% suspicion or doubt that a team is working with certain doctors, then they shouldn't be invited to the Tour de France - as simple as that.
journalist with integrity.
Old 12-21-12, 20:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinvickers View Post
Could we quit with this silly reverse racism sh!te!

-It is patently obvious that the most notorious doper of recent vintage was an American, on an american team, with a western european DS.

We can all name Irish, British, american and Australia riders who have doped, and done so on a pretty serious level. Many have continued doubts.

But if you are seriously trying to avoid the reality of a serious and obvious cultural problem in, for example, cycling in Spain and Russia, you are kidding yourself.

So enough of this "anglos v slavs" or "anglos v latins" bullsh!t, and actually address some issues - i don't gick a fiddler's f*ck where a doper comes from; i just want them caught and thrown out. And if that means certain teams and certain countries take a bigger hit because there is worse historic problem, tough t*tty.

That goes for American Sprinters, Chinese Swimmers, Argentinian footballers, Greek athletes, Bulgarian and turkish weightlifters, Irish eventers, British rugby players..and yes, spanish and russian cyclists.

There. Now I'm racist against everybody, including myself, ok? now let's get on with it.
Bizzare post. You attack him as a racist for saying all riders dope regardless of nationality then disprove your own racism by saying you akanowledge all.riders dope regardless of nationality.

And you attack the Latins for what you call " latins vs anglos" i know your not in the habit of reading peoples posts before you flame them but parullo did actually give an example of the blogger in question promoting the idea that Latin riders are more.likely to be dopers than Anglo ones.

And as a latin poster parullo has a right to be offended by such comments.
If there's a 1% suspicion or doubt that a team is working with certain doctors, then they shouldn't be invited to the Tour de France - as simple as that.
journalist with integrity.
Old 12-21-12, 21:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hitch View Post
Bizzare post. You attack him as a racist for saying all riders dope regardless of nationality then disprove your own racism by saying you akanowledge all.riders dope regardless of nationality.

And you attack the Latins for what you call " latins vs anglos" i know your not in the habit of reading peoples posts before you flame them but parullo did actually give an example of the blogger in question promoting the idea that Latin riders are more.likely to be dopers than Anglo ones.

And as a latin poster parullo has a right to be offended by such comments.
In thre light of your response and after re-reading what the secret pro says and Pauraullo's posts, I find your interpretatio of events bizairre,

Firstly, there is no mention of southern europeans in the secret pro's article, just something about Katusha and why they failed for ethical reasons, no details, so this is stangely interpreted as anti Eastern Europeans and Southern Europeans by Paurullo, quite bizairre

Then I look at Paurulo's decision about the blogger (not the secret pro), and concludes because he has doubts about Contador's cleanliness in 2009 (a rider who has links tho Fuentes who somehow managed to escape this), rides with Armstong for Brunyeel, but was later to be found guilty of a doping offence, and this is turned into being anti-southern European / eastern European, (at this point I bang my head against the wall), oh and he hasn't decided wiggins is a doper then (because as a cllinic cynic you have to conlcude (despite the fact there is no evidence) that Brad dopes