U.S. Politics - Page 592 - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Cafe > General

General Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Old 12-21-12, 20:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeloCity View Post
Gun deaths since Newtown, not including suicides.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_a..._shooting.html
Yes but, some of those were undoubtedly crooks so it's all good.

Gods don't kill people, people with Gods kill people.
Old 12-21-12, 21:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Januss View Post
Yes but, some of those were undoubtedly crooks so it's all good.
Also doesn't count the three killed in Pennsylvania this afternoon by a gunman. Right in the middle of LaPierre's self-pity party, too.

But hey, this is interesting.

http://jama.jamanetwork.com/article....icleID=1487470

Quote:
The nation might be in a better position to act if medical and public health researchers had continued to study these issues as diligently as some of us did between 1985 and 1997. But in 1996, pro-gun members of Congress mounted an all-out effort to eliminate the National Center for Injury Prevention and Control at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Although they failed to defund the center....the following language was added to the final appropriation: “none of the funds made available for injury prevention and control at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention may be used to advocate or promote gun control.”

Precisely what was or was not permitted under the clause was unclear. But no federal employee was willing to risk his or her career or the agency's funding to find out....Even today, 17 years after this legislative action, the CDC's website lacks specific links to information about preventing firearm-related violence.

When other agencies funded high-quality research, similar action was taken. In 2009, Branas et al published the results of a case-control study that examined whether carrying a gun increases or decreases the risk of firearm assault. In contrast to earlier research, this particular study was funded by the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism. Two years later, Congress extended the restrictive language it had previously applied to the CDC to all Department of Health and Human Services agencies, including the National Institutes of Health.

These are not the only efforts to keep important health information from the public and patients. For example, in 1997, Cummings et al used state-level data from Washington to study the association between purchase of a handgun and the subsequent risk of homicide or suicide. Similar studies could not be conducted today because Washington State's firearm registration files are no longer accessible.
And now we know why there is a dearth of studies on some of the topics we've been discussing here - the gunfreaks in Congress, encouraged I'm sure by the NRA, are afraid they won't like the answer and they don't want you to know, either. As Kevin Drum puts it:

Quote:
The conservative war on reality continues apace. If you don't like what's happening in the real world, simply defund anyone who tries to report on it. Mission accomplished!
Old 12-21-12, 21:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by patricknd View Post
am i the only one disturbed by the fact that you're picturing hugh in his underwear?
I see your point, but it was just a metaphor for him being unarmed.

Speaking of underwear and 4 hour erections, by coincidence this story is causing me some difficulty for some reason.

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/documen...amilton-136952
Old 12-21-12, 21:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisE View Post

Speaking of underwear and 4 hour erections, by coincidence this story is causing me some difficulty for some reason.

can earning 600.00 per hour ever be a mistake?
Old 12-21-12, 21:14

Quote:

She lost her Disney gig over this. I guess we should bann Disney too.

She managed to get some smokin' reviews from her clients. One dude said he'd go bankrupt over her. At $600 an hour that probably could be arranged.
Old 12-21-12, 21:30

Quote:
No no. I'm all for people that want no discussion on gun control to take place to shoot their nads off. Stop the idiot gene from being passed on.
A while back a friend sent me a video clip that shows an older guy who is at some kind of celebration (wedding?) fire a gun into the air, then set it down. While he is looking elsewhere, a young kid picks up the gun and points it into the air imitating the old guy (father?) and ends up shooting the guy in the stomach. That's where the clip ends so we don't see the end result. It is difficult to feel sorry for the guy, as Chris says he was a victim of his idiot gene.
Old 12-21-12, 21:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchfry View Post
A while back a friend sent me a video clip that shows an older guy who is at some kind of celebration (wedding?) fire a gun into the air, then set it down. While he is looking elsewhere, a young kid picks up the gun and points it into the air imitating the old guy (father?) and ends up shooting the guy in the stomach. That's where the clip ends so we don't see the end result. It is difficult to feel sorry for the guy, as Chris says he was a victim of his idiot gene.
my sister-in-law is a surgeon and had trauma call new years day. one of her calls was for a guy shooting into the air at midnight, and yes, one came down and got him. he was okay but she gave him a huge ration of **** about it
Old 12-21-12, 22:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott SoCal View Post
She lost her Disney gig over this. I guess we should bann Disney too.

She managed to get some smokin' reviews from her clients. One dude said he'd go bankrupt over her. At $600 an hour that probably could be arranged.
Nope, the pseudo moral equivalency here is prostitution, not Disney. I assume you want prostitution to be legal? Should women feel ashamed, and it be against the law, if some guy is willing to give her $ for sex, and she obliges?
Old 12-21-12, 22:16

Quote:
Nope, the pseudo moral equivalency here is prostitution, not Disney. I assume you want prostitution to be legal? Should women feel ashamed, and it be against the law, if some guy is willing to give her $ for sex, and she obliges?
Only if her gun is bigger than his.
Old 12-21-12, 22:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Januss View Post
I agree with Chris. And that's rare, so he must be right.
I have found myself agreeing with Chris several times today. It really is rather worrying.....