The Better Overall Rider: Evans or Contador - Page 25 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

View Poll Results: Better overall rider
Cadel Evans 34 22.08%
Alberto Contador 120 77.92%
Voters: 154. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-20-12, 19:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post

What do you call a rider who is on holiday from August to January?
A spring classics rider- your favorite.
If there's a 1% suspicion or doubt that a team is working with certain doctors, then they shouldn't be invited to the Tour de France - as simple as that.
journalist with integrity.

Last edited by The Hitch; 12-20-12 at 20:28.
Old 12-20-12, 20:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hitch View Post
A spring classics rider
2005 Madrid
Tom Boonen (BEL) Alejandro Valverde (ESP) Anthony Geslin (FRA)

2006 Salzburg
Paolo Bettini (ITA) Erik Zabel (GER) Alejandro Valverde (ESP)

2007 Stuttgart
Paolo Bettini (ITA) Alexandr Kolobnev (RUS) Stefan Schumacher (GER)

2008 Varese
Alessandro Ballan (ITA) Damiano Cunego (ITA) Matti Breschel (DEN)

2009 Mendrisio
Cadel Evans (AUS) Alexandr Kolobnev (RUS) Joaquim Rodríguez (ESP)

2010 Geelong
Thor Hushovd (NOR) Matti Breschel (DEN) Allan Davis (AUS)

2011 Copenhagen
Mark Cavendish (GBR) Matthew Goss (AUS) André Greipel (GER)

2012 Valkenburg
Philippe Gilbert (BEL) Edvald Boasson Hagen (NOR) Alejandro Valverde (ESP)

You sure about that?
horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hitch
Goss will woop boonens candy ass in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week
Old 12-20-12, 23:51

Quote:
A rider that you're apparently quite envious of. Teachers in the US get the summer's off. Are they lazy too?
Old 12-21-12, 02:41

Quote:

I call him a Dual Vuelta winner

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Alberto Contador of Pinto: "And yes, it is true that for me it's the same to finish second or 10th."

Vincezo Nibali makes history and joins Anquetil, Gimondi, Merckx, Hinault and Contador as only the 6th winner of all Three Grand Tours! Bravo Lo Squalo!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Old 12-21-12, 02:49

Evans for sure, if we are basing the vote on natural talent.

Contador for sure, if we forget everything and just look at results.
Old 12-21-12, 18:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hitch View Post
A spring classics rider- your favorite.
If you're talking about Fabian Cancellara who is not necessarily my favourite, I'll just remind you that he was not on holiday, he was laying on a hospital cot ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angliru
A rider that you're apparently quite envious of. Teachers in the US get the summer's off. Are they lazy too?
I'm not envious of anybody. I'm just thinking of the future of my favourite sport, the most beautiful sport of the world. And with such riders, I see it very gloomy.

The second part of your quote is simply beyond the limits of indecency...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carols
I call him a Dual Vuelta winner
Those Contadortards are really boring ... Always have to repeat myself. He's not interested in the Vuelta, he only races it when he's kept from Bore de France. If he's allowed to race Bore de France, he would never be interested in anything else.

And even when he's racing those other races, which are still only GT's, it's still not more than 68 days of racing overall, as has been shown earlier on this thread.

Always repeating oneself, boring ...
Old 12-21-12, 18:51

Evans wouldn't have been interested in the Vuelta either if he won the Tour. The only reason he rode it was because he always failed in the Tour until 2011. Do you think Eddy Merckx gave a **** about the Vuelta? He didn't. Neither did Freddy Maertens who viewed it as a prep race for the Giro.

Contador is the only rider in the peloton to have won 2 GTs in a season and he did great in 2011 as well. And before you try and show off Evans starting in the Tour Down Under, remember that a victory in the Tour Down Under is what Contador considers his most beautiful victory.

Contador is racing to win in every single one of those 68 days. I can't say the same about Evans.

7 GTs versus 1. Case closed.
horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato
Quote:
Goss will woop boonens candy ass in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week

Last edited by El Pistolero; 12-21-12 at 18:58.
Old 12-21-12, 19:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody22 View Post
Evans for sure, if we are basing the vote on natural talent.

Contador for sure, if we forget everything and just look at results.
What Define natural talent
Old 12-22-12, 09:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pistolero View Post
Evans wouldn't have been interested in the Vuelta either if he won the Tour. The only reason he rode it was because he always failed in the Tour until 2011. Do you think Eddy Merckx gave a **** about the Vuelta? He didn't. Neither did Freddy Maertens who viewed it as a prep race for the Giro.

Contador is the only rider in the peloton to have won 2 GTs in a season and he did great in 2011 as well. And before you try and show off Evans starting in the Tour Down Under, remember that a victory in the Tour Down Under is what Contador considers his most beautiful victory.

Contador is racing to win in every single one of those 68 days. I can't say the same about Evans.

7 GTs versus 1. Case closed.
Contador only said that because he was returning to racing after his brain operation. Contador gifting stages and not going all out when he raced in races like the Dauphine shows that. If you substituted Merckx for Contador I would agree. He even wanted to win every kermesse or criterium he rode in. Evans never gives the impression he is racing to train for another race as other GT riders do. He always tries unlike the brothers Schleck, Menchov and many others. I think you are confusing success with effort. Look at Evan's wins and podiums in smaller stage races plus four podiums at the Dauphine, plenty of top tens in the classics plus the Fleche win. Not the record of someone who sets himself to only win certain races every year.
Old 12-22-12, 12:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtarget View Post
Contador only said that because he was returning to racing after his brain operation. Contador gifting stages and not going all out when he raced in races like the Dauphine shows that. If you substituted Merckx for Contador I would agree. He even wanted to win every kermesse or criterium he rode in. Evans never gives the impression he is racing to train for another race as other GT riders do. He always tries unlike the brothers Schleck, Menchov and many others. I think you are confusing success with effort. Look at Evan's wins and podiums in smaller stage races plus four podiums at the Dauphine, plenty of top tens in the classics plus the Fleche win. Not the record of someone who sets himself to only win certain races every year.
I think you confuse gifting stages with not wanting to win. He wants to win the overall GC. He is less concerned with stage wins.

Gifting out stages makes you a lot of friends in the peloton. That can come in handy for other races as we've seen now already. Take for example the Fuente De stage at the Vuelta this year...
Quote: