2013 Speculation (and confirmation) thread - rider schedules and parcours - Page 26 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Old 12-22-12, 16:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryo Hazuki View Post
no he does not. he only had one as an u23 and junior. never since.
I can't really imagine that, are there any vids of him doing this?
Old 12-22-12, 16:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentacycle View Post
Not from his U23 years, but this is definitely an acceleration in my book.

There's that video from his Settimana Lombarda win that Dekker_T posted somewhere...
Old 12-22-12, 16:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by theyoungest View Post

There's that video from his Settimana Lombarda win that Dekker_T posted somewhere...
Yeah, now you mention it I remember some video from his U23 years, but it's lost somewhere in the dark parts of the interwebs.
Also in the Vuelta he just went full throttle in the last 2 kms, a real accelleration is sprinting away on the big ring,
and then consolidating your gap on a smaller gear.

I've just been viewing a summary of the 2009 AGR, but there he follows Gilbert(who was dropped there apparently)
It's a complete mystery to me what happened there, probably because I've only started following cycling a few months after that race.
Still to me he's right in skipping the classics, even when he's got his 2008-9 form he's never going to win.
Old 12-22-12, 16:38

Quote:
Yeah Ivanov attacked 4 times or more that day, but over the last 3 years GIlbert has become better and better. The 2009 Gilbert is in no way comparable to the one from 2011 and later.

And GIlbert will probably be a factor in the Ronde as well if he's on form, with the hard course, only the Kwaremont doesn't perfectly suit him.
yes but that wasn't my point. I simply stated that the agr ivanov won, he was the strongets, only el calimero thinks differently. after that gilbert was the best yes, except this year
Old 12-22-12, 16:39

Quote:
yes, settimana lombarda he won in 2006 or 2007 I think. unfortunately the video got deleted from youtube.
Old 12-22-12, 16:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by theyoungest View Post

you call that accelerating? everyone can follow initial speed up. he just speeds up his own tempo as fast as he can and then keeps that tempo, which breaks danielson and others later on and that's, what makes the other suffer. tempo. not explosiveness. keep in mind until that moment already many rider were riding in or near red zone for themselves. good example of explosiveness is this:

check 25:56 and full headwind!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eURDnWAHur8

Last edited by Ryo Hazuki; 12-22-12 at 16:49.
Old 12-22-12, 16:50

Quote:
Yeah, now you mention it I remember some video from his U23 years, but it's lost somewhere in the dark parts of the interwebs.
Also in the Vuelta he just went full throttle in the last 2 kms, a real accelleration is sprinting away on the big ring,
and then consolidating your gap on a smaller gear.

I've just been viewing a summary of the 2009 AGR, but there he follows Gilbert(who was dropped there apparently)
It's a complete mystery to me what happened there, probably because I've only started following cycling a few months after that race.
Still to me he's right in skipping the classics, even when he's got his 2008-9 form he's never going to win.
Keutenberg, Amstel 2009. Gilbert wasn't dropped then, that was the front of the race.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryo Hazuki View Post
you call that accelerating? everyone can follow initial speed up. he just speeds up his own tempo as fast as he can and then keeps that tempo, which breaks danielson and others later on and that's, what makes the other suffer.
That climb wasn't suited for attacks at all, still he did it and he got away. If the gradient was a little steeper he'd have built more of a gap straightaway. It's not like someone like Contador jumps away and immediately has a 300 m gap.
Old 12-22-12, 16:51
Administrator

man, this thread sure went OT...

WARNING: Location says Germany, but I'm Italian...
Old 12-22-12, 17:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eshnar View Post
man, this thread sure went OT...
No way, it's a big discussion about Gesink's choice to skip the classics next year.
Old 12-22-12, 17:11

Is it? I thought it was about why Emilia isn't a hilly classic

Speaking of which, remember how Gerrans won on that very same climb in the Giro? And how he beat some unknown Kenyan rider in the process?