Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

View Poll Results: So, can he do it?
No 133 72.68%
Yes 12 6.56%
Yes. And after, he will win Vuelta too 3 1.64%
Yes. And after the Vuelta win, he will bring the peace in Middle East 35 19.13%
Voters: 183. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #101  
Old 12-21-12, 19:42
Alpe d'Huez's Avatar
Alpe d'Huez Alpe d'Huez is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: New England
Posts: 7,331
Default

No options for him losing both?

Going with the masses, I see him winning the Giro, though not without some struggle, and doing well for half the Tour before falling back, and finishing 15 minutes or so back.
Reply With Quote
  #102  
Old 12-21-12, 22:43
Jelantik's Avatar
Jelantik Jelantik is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,366
Default

Even though I doubt that he will win both, but at least from his statement looks like he is setting up a big goal. The only thing that will bug me the most, if he won the giro and do the tour but ended up some where in the middle in the pack, he'll be start saying.."oh, I've won the giro, so i have accomplished my goal this season...Now I'm just enjoying the tour..bla.. bla.. bla". Well if you make that statement.. better backing it up. And if you fail, admit you fail. I hope nibali will have some stronger back up to make sky earn it if they want to win it. But hey who knows.. contador might decide to ride giro-tour double.. or not. Seems like he wants to be 100% at the tour so he can test froome's capability.
Reply With Quote
  #103  
Old 12-21-12, 22:53
trevim's Avatar
trevim trevim is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Portugal
Posts: 2,696
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelantik View Post
Even though I doubt that he will win both, but at least from his statement looks like he is setting up a big goal. The only thing that will bug me the most, if he won the giro and do the tour but ended up some where in the middle in the pack, he'll be start saying.."oh, I've won the giro, so i have accomplished my goal this season...Now I'm just enjoying the tour..bla.. bla.. bla". Well if you make that statement.. better backing it up. And if you fail, admit you fail. I hope nibali will have some stronger back up to make sky earn it if they want to win it. But hey who knows.. contador might decide to ride giro-tour double.. or not. Seems like he wants to be 100% at the tour so he can test froome's capability.
Tiralongo, Vannotti, Agnoli, Kess and Brajko are more or less confirmed so he will have a very good team. And he won't have to share it with Sagan,
Reply With Quote
  #104  
Old 12-22-12, 20:50
Joachim Joachim is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 531
Default

Agree on Giro, too tough. Agree on Tour, too many equal contenders including his team mate.

What about the Vuelta?
Reply With Quote
  #105  
Old 12-22-12, 21:36
MartinGT's Avatar
MartinGT MartinGT is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Leeds, UK
Posts: 1,209
Default

I was chatting with a mate this lunch time and he said that nobody can do a double GT in a season any more. Well, nobody "normal"

I think the Giro - Vuelta is do-able as there is sufficent recovery time inbetween no problems. I think the Giro - Tour is do-able, but only if one is TT heavy like this years Tour.

I just cant see Wiggo doing them both this year with an eye to winning both. I think his ego thinks he can do both, but IMO, next season he wont win any GT and tbh, I dont see Sky hitting the podium on any GT for reasons thats kept to the clinic, unless the Dawg breaks.
Reply With Quote
  #106  
Old 12-22-12, 21:36
serfla serfla is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 701
Default

I remember during entire last season people wondering: "Did he peak too early?", and at the end it turned out everything was perfectly timed and planned.
What I want to say is - I believe they (Sky) know how to engineer season and hit needed levels at the right moment.
My concern regarding double is Wiggo. I'm not sure he has the double in his legs. Especially against expected Tour field.
Reply With Quote
  #107  
Old 12-22-12, 21:51
Joachim Joachim is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 531
Default

My guess is that Wiggins's stars were aligned in 2012. Weaker competition in the Tour and a parcours that played to his strengths and didn't reveal his weaknesses.

Gut feeling, he won't ever win another GT.
Reply With Quote
  #108  
Old 12-22-12, 21:56
serfla serfla is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 701
Default

I think he can win another GT. Maybe 2.
Giro 2013 is very good opportunity, IMO. Wiggo-friendly Vuelta (obviously not in 2013) could be that second GT. And that's it. No more Tours, I think.
Reply With Quote
  #109  
Old 12-22-12, 22:00
Afrank's Avatar
Afrank Afrank is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Oregon
Posts: 6,304
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joachim View Post
Agree on Giro, too tough. Agree on Tour, too many equal contenders including his team mate.

What about the Vuelta?
Too many uphill sprint finishes, plus it will probably have lots of MTF's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joachim View Post
My guess is that Wiggins's stars were aligned in 2012. Weaker competition in the Tour and a parcours that played to his strengths and didn't reveal his weaknesses.

Gut feeling, he won't ever win another GT.
Yep, pretty much everything went exactly right and according to plan for Wiggo in 2012. I'm not convinced we will see a 2012 Wiggins again.
Reply With Quote
  #110  
Old 12-22-12, 22:19
The Hitch's Avatar
The Hitch The Hitch is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: London.
Posts: 21,361
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrank View Post
Too many uphill sprint finishes, plus it will probably have lots of MTF's.

.
He almost won it in 2011. If he went for it, he could do it.
__________________
The Hitch: Winner 2013 Vuelta cq game. Winner, Velorooms prediction game 2012, 2013 (still undefeated). Currently 2nd all time cq rankings.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pre 2009 wiggins
If there's a 1% suspicion or doubt that a team is working with certain doctors, then they shouldn't be invited to the Tour de France - as simple as that.
journalist with integrity.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 13:57.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2006 - 2009 Future Publishing Limited. All rights reserved. Future Publishing Limited is part of the Future plc group. Future Publishing Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with company registration number 2008885 whose registered office is at Beauford Court 30 Monmouth Street Bath, UK BA1 2BW England.