Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

View Poll Results: So, can he do it?
No 133 72.68%
Yes 12 6.56%
Yes. And after, he will win Vuelta too 3 1.64%
Yes. And after the Vuelta win, he will bring the peace in Middle East 35 19.13%
Voters: 183. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-21-12, 19:42
Administrator

No options for him losing both?

Going with the masses, I see him winning the Giro, though not without some struggle, and doing well for half the Tour before falling back, and finishing 15 minutes or so back.
Old 12-21-12, 22:43

Even though I doubt that he will win both, but at least from his statement looks like he is setting up a big goal. The only thing that will bug me the most, if he won the giro and do the tour but ended up some where in the middle in the pack, he'll be start saying.."oh, I've won the giro, so i have accomplished my goal this season...Now I'm just enjoying the tour..bla.. bla.. bla". Well if you make that statement.. better backing it up. And if you fail, admit you fail. I hope nibali will have some stronger back up to make sky earn it if they want to win it. But hey who knows.. contador might decide to ride giro-tour double.. or not. Seems like he wants to be 100% at the tour so he can test froome's capability.
Old 12-21-12, 22:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelantik View Post
Even though I doubt that he will win both, but at least from his statement looks like he is setting up a big goal. The only thing that will bug me the most, if he won the giro and do the tour but ended up some where in the middle in the pack, he'll be start saying.."oh, I've won the giro, so i have accomplished my goal this season...Now I'm just enjoying the tour..bla.. bla.. bla". Well if you make that statement.. better backing it up. And if you fail, admit you fail. I hope nibali will have some stronger back up to make sky earn it if they want to win it. But hey who knows.. contador might decide to ride giro-tour double.. or not. Seems like he wants to be 100% at the tour so he can test froome's capability.
Tiralongo, Vannotti, Agnoli, Kess and Brajko are more or less confirmed so he will have a very good team. And he won't have to share it with Sagan,
Old 12-22-12, 20:50
Banned

Agree on Giro, too tough. Agree on Tour, too many equal contenders including his team mate.

What about the Vuelta?
Old 12-22-12, 21:36

I was chatting with a mate this lunch time and he said that nobody can do a double GT in a season any more. Well, nobody "normal"

I think the Giro - Vuelta is do-able as there is sufficent recovery time inbetween no problems. I think the Giro - Tour is do-able, but only if one is TT heavy like this years Tour.

I just cant see Wiggo doing them both this year with an eye to winning both. I think his ego thinks he can do both, but IMO, next season he wont win any GT and tbh, I dont see Sky hitting the podium on any GT for reasons thats kept to the clinic, unless the Dawg breaks.
Old 12-22-12, 21:36
Banned

I remember during entire last season people wondering: "Did he peak too early?", and at the end it turned out everything was perfectly timed and planned.
What I want to say is - I believe they (Sky) know how to engineer season and hit needed levels at the right moment.
My concern regarding double is Wiggo. I'm not sure he has the double in his legs. Especially against expected Tour field.
Old 12-22-12, 21:51
Banned

My guess is that Wiggins's stars were aligned in 2012. Weaker competition in the Tour and a parcours that played to his strengths and didn't reveal his weaknesses.

Gut feeling, he won't ever win another GT.
Old 12-22-12, 21:56
Banned

I think he can win another GT. Maybe 2.
Giro 2013 is very good opportunity, IMO. Wiggo-friendly Vuelta (obviously not in 2013) could be that second GT. And that's it. No more Tours, I think.
Old 12-22-12, 22:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joachim View Post
Agree on Giro, too tough. Agree on Tour, too many equal contenders including his team mate.

What about the Vuelta?
Too many uphill sprint finishes, plus it will probably have lots of MTF's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joachim View Post
My guess is that Wiggins's stars were aligned in 2012. Weaker competition in the Tour and a parcours that played to his strengths and didn't reveal his weaknesses.

Gut feeling, he won't ever win another GT.
Yep, pretty much everything went exactly right and according to plan for Wiggo in 2012. I'm not convinced we will see a 2012 Wiggins again.
Old 12-22-12, 22:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrank View Post
Too many uphill sprint finishes, plus it will probably have lots of MTF's.

He almost won it in 2011. If he went for it, he could do it.
If there's a 1% suspicion or doubt that a team is working with certain doctors, then they shouldn't be invited to the Tour de France - as simple as that.
journalist with integrity.