Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Cafe > General

General Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Old 12-23-12, 11:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphabet View Post
Calcutta is the worst place for it, with those disgraceful riots in 1996. What do they hope to achieve? All they're doing is destroying their own public property over sport.

What happened in 2007? The standard treatment (i.e. burning effigies of the players)?
Dhoni's house, which was being built was burned down.

In 1996 also as far as I know, some players' houses were burnt down.
Old 12-23-12, 12:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by auscyclefan94 View Post
I believe that Clarke won't play on Boxing Day. Anyone else have any thoughts on this issue?
As long as Australia are able to take 20 wickets I think they'll win, even if Clarke isn't playing. Without Malinga, SL don't have a very strong bowling attack when it comes to pace.

Now to something completly different, I hope that the board listens to Sanga on this
Old 12-23-12, 12:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoerpi View Post
As long as Australia are able to take 20 wickets I think they'll win, even if Clarke isn't playing. Without Malinga, SL don't have a very strong bowling attack when it comes to pace.
Herath more than makes up for the toothlessness of the pace attack. He's a real talent, a shame that Murali's presence robbed him of what could have been a great career.

Also a Melbourne test will be very interesting. Considering the huge Sri Lankan population in Melbourne, the place will be almost like a home test for them. I'm predicting a 60-40 split in the crowd in favour of the visitors.
Old 12-23-12, 12:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoerpi View Post

Now to something completly different, I hope that the board listens to Sanga on this
Nonsense, the senior players are quite happy that tests are culled because they get to play in the IPL. They just say the opposite to the media to look good.

Back when Arjuna Ranathunga was our Cricket board chairman, he arranged a test series with England in England to replace the Windies, but our players including Sanga and Mahela vehemently refused because they would miss the IPL.

As I said before, I wouldn't be surprised if we become a non factor in Test cricket in ten years' time, like Zimbabwe have become.
Old 12-23-12, 20:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphabet View Post
Herath more than makes up for the toothlessness of the pace attack. He's a real talent, a shame that Murali's presence robbed him of what could have been a great career.

Also a Melbourne test will be very interesting. Considering the huge Sri Lankan population in Melbourne, the place will be almost like a home test for them. I'm predicting a 60-40 split in the crowd in favour of the visitors.
Herath does not at all make up for the 'toothlessness' in teh Sri Lankan attack. He only slightly improves it. I do agree that there will be a very big crowd on Boxing Day this year with the large Sri Lankan community in Melbourne. That should contribute to a great atmosphere at the ground although unfortunately I will not be going this year.
second post ever after reading the forum for the last few years and one thing i must say, ACF94 is probably the most intelligent poster here, never biased to BMC or Cadel, and never gets worked up over anything.
Old 12-24-12, 05:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by auscyclefan94 View Post
Herath does not at all make up for the 'toothlessness' in teh Sri Lankan attack. He only slightly improves it. I do agree that there will be a very big crowd on Boxing Day this year with the large Sri Lankan community in Melbourne. That should contribute to a great atmosphere at the ground although unfortunately I will not be going this year.
I think he does. If he can guarantee 8 wickets a match, then the rest of them only need to scrap around for the remaining 12. Which they can eventually get by bowling defensively.

The one drawback Herath has is that he's not a matchwinner in the same sense that Warne and Muralitharan were. He can take 10 wickets a match, but it'll take him 40-50 overs or so and will cost about 200 runs. He can't replicate those two's regular "5/15 in 10 overs" performances.
Old 12-24-12, 12:12

Mitchell Johnson is playing so anything could happen. He will either take three wickets in his first over or go for 24 runs after a 10 ball over.
Old 12-24-12, 21:55

Hopefully Shaminda Eranga can improve in the 2nd test.

He impressed me in the series against the Kiwis and is a seam bowler rather than a swing bowler, so should do well.
We can't rely solely on Herath to take wickets and Eranga if he gets it right, will be our most dangerous fast bowler.
Old 12-26-12, 06:10

If Sri Lanka had held those two catches, we'd be in a lot of trouble.
Old 12-26-12, 06:37

Was Watson dropped too?

Humiliating first few hours for us. At least grabbing 3 wickets near the would have brought some satisfaction to our supporters who seem to have turned up in decent numbers.