Official lance armstrong thread, part 2 (from september 2012) - Page 285 - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Road > The Clinic

The Clinic The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Old 12-23-12, 21:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velodude View Post
Any judgment awarded to the Times in UK an be taken out and enforced against Armstrong's US assets within the state jurisdiction of the domicile of those assets.

The usual US exception is the question whether that judgment could have been taken out in the US with regard to any Constitutional grounds for defense.
Isn't it one thing to win the judgement, then completely another to collect on the judgement? Just basing that question on what I've seen.

Quote:
It is a civil action instigated by the Times but there could be a criminal action against Armstrong for perjury in the wind commenced by the Crown.
The gift that keeps giving! Lets hope the political will is there. Wonderboy certainly makes the threat of perjury seem hollow.
Old 12-23-12, 22:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyWorks View Post
Isn't it one thing to win the judgement, then completely another to collect on the judgement? Just basing that question on what I've seen.

The gift that keeps giving! Lets hope the political will is there. Wonderboy certainly makes the threat of perjury seem hollow.
I think the key is tying him up in knots as he can't testify. Just sending him 'unless orders' for the next 6 months and he'll break.

For the cost of postage stamps the Sunday Times will get 1.5m - easy.
Old 12-23-12, 22:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyWorks View Post

Not to have a judgment debt settled translates to Wonderboy now not having sufficient net assets to prevent the enforcement of a judgment.

From an estimated $125m to zero value of assets is not palatable.

The judgment creditor would commence bankruptcy action and leave it to that action to bring to account transactions that occurred to defeat creditors.

Centuries ago you went to jail if you were made bankrupt. Today jail time only awaits if you are found entering into fraudulent arrangements to defeat creditors.
Old 12-24-12, 02:27

Perjury charges in the UK are very unlikely in my opinion.

1) Prosecutions for perjury are usually not pursued.

2) Did Lance actually make false claims under oath. Remember the case was settled out of court.

3) He would not be tried in absentia.

4) UK would not bother to instigate extradition proceedings for perjury.

so I think we can forget about UK perjury charges relating to this Sunday Times case.
Old 12-24-12, 02:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by wirral View Post
Perjury charges in the UK are very unlikely in my opinion.

1) Prosecutions for perjury are usually not pursued.

2) Did Lance actually make false claims under oath. Remember the case was settled out of court.

3) He would not be tried in absentia.

4) UK would not bother to instigate extradition proceedings for perjury.

so I think we can forget about UK perjury charges relating to this Sunday Times case.
I've not read Walsh's new book 7DS but I was texted this today by an associate in relation to the SCA situ;

Bob Hamman of SCA Promtions wants his money back too. In David Walsh's new book, 'Seven Deadly Sins: My pursuit of Lance Armstrong', Walsh stated that Hamman--a professional bridge and poker player prior to starting SCA--read 'LA Confidentiel' and deliberately wanted, even though he knew he was going to lose his case before the three-person arbitration panel, to have the Armstrong accusers named in 'LA Confidetiel', including Armstrong himself, testify in depositions (under oath, penalty of perjury). He did this so he could see everyone's playing cards and know what they knew. Hamman intentionally ran out the legal bills, some 2.6 million to Armstrong's attorneys and 1.7 million to his own, 'cause he wanted Armstrong to refute the testimonies of his accusers, under oath, penalty of perjury. Walsh stated knowing Hamman's pit-bull take-no-prisoners reputation of a card player, Hamman wants ALL his money back plus the legal fees to get it.
Old 12-24-12, 03:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehog View Post
I've not read Walsh's new book 7DS but I was texted this today by an associate in relation to the SCA situ;

Bob Hamman of SCA Promtions wants his money back too. In David Walsh's new book, 'Seven Deadly Sins: My pursuit of Lance Armstrong', Walsh stated that Hamman--a professional bridge and poker player prior to starting SCA--read 'LA Confidentiel' and deliberately wanted, even though he knew he was going to lose his case before the three-person arbitration panel, to have the Armstrong accusers named in 'LA Confidetiel', including Armstrong himself, testify in depositions (under oath, penalty of perjury). He did this so he could see everyone's playing cards and know what they knew. Hamman intentionally ran out the legal bills, some 2.6 million to Armstrong's attorneys and 1.7 million to his own, 'cause he wanted Armstrong to refute the testimonies of his accusers, under oath, penalty of perjury. Walsh stated knowing Hamman's pit-bull take-no-prisoners reputation of a card player, Hamman wants ALL his money back plus the legal fees to get it.
wow
Old 12-24-12, 03:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehog View Post

It's like we've been saying...Lance is in a pinch either way. He'll settle to keep the lid on the facts but that only emboldens the next guy in line. It would be absolutely stellar if Mr. Hamman decided the price of truth needed to cost Lance more...
Old 12-24-12, 12:53

[QUOTE=thehog;1098686]I've not read Walsh's new book 7DS but I was texted this today by an associate in relation to the SCA situ;

Bob Hamman of SCA Promtions wants his money back too. In David Walsh's new book, 'Seven Deadly Sins: My pursuit of Lance Armstrong', Walsh stated that Hamman--a professional bridge and poker player prior to starting SCA--read 'LA Confidentiel' and deliberately wanted, even though he knew he was going to lose his case before the three-person arbitration panel, to have the Armstrong accusers named in 'LA Confidetiel', including Armstrong himself, testify in depositions (under oath, penalty of perjury). He did this so he could see everyone's playing cards and know what they knew. Hamman intentionally ran out the legal bills, some 2.6 million to Armstrong's attorneys and 1.7 million to his own, 'cause he wanted Armstrong to refute the testimonies of his accusers, under oath, penalty of perjury. Walsh stated knowing Hamman's pit-bull take-no-prisoners reputation of a card player, Hamman wants ALL his money back plus the legal fees to get it.[/QUOTE

At the end of it, those seeking money from Armstrong will have to be happy with negociating and settling out of court, iron clad non-disclosures, and 'no comment' talking points. There is simply no other way forward for LA to play.
He has surely been shielding some assets in other parts of the world but I am pretty sure he will not be able to live (publicly) like a wealthy guy.
Ironically, Herman's fees over the years probably add up to more tha LA will be left with ....
Old 12-24-12, 14:02

Quote:
Not to have a judgment debt settled translates to Today jail time only awaits if you are found entering into fraudulent arrangements to defeat creditors.
I have zero doubt this is going on. Zero. Lance is a professional criminal (con-man/grifter) and I would be willing to bet he is frantically shipping his assets to fiscal paradises and hiding them behind shell companies. He has known right from the beginning that he was engaged in a large-scale fraud, there's never been a moment in his career when he was straightforward and honest. As a professional criminal he has in all likelihood been laundering large amounts of money since his first big contracts with USPS. It would take a major international financial investigation to find that money, if the US feds didn't do it I don't think anyone else will.
Old 12-24-12, 17:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortyninefourteen View Post

At the end of it, those seeking money from Armstrong will have to be happy with negociating and settling out of court, iron clad non-disclosures, and 'no comment' talking points. There is simply no other way forward for LA to play.
He has surely been shielding some assets in other parts of the world but I am pretty sure he will not be able to live (publicly) like a wealthy guy.
Ironically, Herman's fees over the years probably add up to more tha LA will be left with ....
You are so right here. Herman (and others) have made their fortunes on the back of the scam, now they will suck the well dry on the way down.

Think what you may of Armstrong, what a waste of human energy gone into all the deception, legal harassment and battles, bullying (and the bullied defending themselves). One stupid little person can really cause a lot of damage.