Andy Schleck Discussion thread. - Page 271 - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Old 12-24-12, 03:51

you need to remember andys age , he was good in 2010/11 but still pretty young , riders dont peak early like they do in other sports , its a gradual process to become elite , if the year out has not damaged his progress there is still room for more improvement . and that goes for mentally as well . this guy should not be written off just because contador has finished in front of him a load of times .

all tho he is still the man to beat you have to think contador has already peaked as a rider where andy has still yet to if the injury does not hamper it .

the changing of the guard has to happen at some stage , contador cant dominate forever .
Old 12-24-12, 05:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hitch View Post
I dont know if Schleck should have won the 2010 Tour. Where?

In the Alpes he got his score in Morzine, and on Madeline he was never going to put time into Contador with a 20k descent and 10 k of flat.

On Les deux alpes he tried and failed. On Tourmalet he threw the kitchen sink at Contador and couldnt get a second.

All thats left is Port du Bailes. Schleck got karma back for stage 3. If you want to ignore stage 3, then you can say if Schleck didnt slip his chain on PDB he could have finished with Contador (or maybe even taken some time from him, though with a descent - 40 seconds would be unlikely) but then thats not - Schleck should have won the Tour by being mentally stronger. Its - Schleck would have won the Tour if Contador had lost time in a crash and Schleck lost time nowhere.

But then you can say the same for any gt where the winner wins by less than a minute.
Yeah it was obvious Contador was there for the taking in 2010 and once again Schleck's TT let him down. It only had to be a bit better as Contador was legless at the end of the final TT. All I'm saying is he could not beat Contador in 2010 when Contador was not 100 or even 90 percent. I just think Contador struggled in the 2010 Tour race plus the 2012 Vuelta but he still found a way to win. That's what I mean by mental strength.In 2011 Schleck mucked around too much in the mountains plus the Gap stage disaster and another ordinary final TT. I guess my question is if Schleck is ever going to win the Tour, where will he win ? Because his is still young, some people are assuming he will improve a lot. It does not always happen like that and unless he improves his TT, his descending and his tactics, it's difficult to see how he will win unless it comes down to luck and he would need a lot of luck to cancel out his deficiences. That said, I hope he can find some form and make the 2013 race more interesting. Other riders make the most of their talent. I always get the feeling, Schleck can do more. Maybe he can't. Time will tell.
Old 12-24-12, 08:36
Banned

It is rubbish. Who made Contador suffer in the Tour? Schleck. All the rest is irrelevant. I have no doubt both were stronger in 2009 than in 2010.
Old 12-24-12, 09:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by shades1 View Post
you need to remember andys age , he was good in 2010/11 but still pretty young , riders dont peak early like they do in other sports , its a gradual process to become elite , if the year out has not damaged his progress there is still room for more improvement . and that goes for mentally as well . this guy should not be written off just because contador has finished in front of him a load of times .
He is 27, will be 28 come July. (When Alberto turned 28, he had already won 3 Tours and 1 Giro and 1 Vuelta ). Andy can still improve but he hasn't really shown much improvement in the last few years. Especially in the discipline that in which he NEEDS to improve to win, TT.

Quote:
all tho he is still the man to beat you have to think contador has already peaked as a rider where andy has still yet to if the injury does not hamper it .
No. Alberto has just turned 30. A rider's peak years are usually from around 28-29 to 32. He has still two or three season left to completely dominate.

Quote:
the changing of the guard has to happen at some stage , contador cant dominate forever .
You're so right and at the same time so wrong. Alberto can't dominate forever. (imo he should start focusing on prestigious 1 week stage races like dauphiné and classics in 3-4 years time. Or maybe the least contested GT). And yes there will be a changing of guards. But it will not be Alberto out, Andy in. Pinot and Quintana are still babies compared to Andy, they will be ready to dominate the GTs in 2016-2017. Maybe Andy will win the Tour in 2016, kinda like 2006. One dominater gone, the other not quite ready yet. But he will never dominate like Alberto or big names like Merckx, Hinault, Indurain. I'm sorry.
Old 12-24-12, 09:57
Banned

Lol, even here Andy managed to get into an age-dependent collapsar. Anti time trialists Pinot and Quintana has a great perspective, Contador has perspective to completely dominate. Only Andy has no perspective. Poor guy. He should not have been born.
Old 12-24-12, 11:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by airstream View Post
It is rubbish. Who made Contador suffer in the Tour? Schleck. All the rest is irrelevant. I have no doubt both were stronger in 2009 than in 2010.
Yes he did make Contador suffer in 2010 which is what makes it frustrating watching Schleck race. I thought Contador looked vulnerable and really thought Schleck could have won the race and then last year he did not ride the TT course beforehand which kind of sums up Schleck's approach to the TT but he he would not have beaten Evan's that day anyway.
Old 12-24-12, 15:10

Andy doesn't want to improve. Take last year where the TT was the key and everyone knew it. Andy's response:
"I'll work on my climbing".

Think about that.

Any peaked already. 2010 was his peak. He might be just a little off in the mountains but Froome and Contador will be near him and will stomp him in the TT. JRod, who used to be very similar to Andy in weaknesses, improved and will beat him too. I'm telling you, Andy is most likely looking at a 5th place finish.
Old 12-24-12, 16:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by serfla View Post
Business as usual.
First to react on Schleck news are terrified convict's fans.
First to react to the reaction is the terrified Contador hater. You're as predictable as those that you vilify.
Old 12-24-12, 16:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by airstream View Post
Only Andy has no perspective. Poor guy. He should not have been born.
Andy was Born with incredible genetics and inherent talent. I just want to see him use it effectively!!! He seems to have the motivation this year so I hope he does use it, I want to see battles!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Alberto Contador of Pinto: "And yes, it is true that for me it's the same to finish second or 10th."

Vincezo Nibali makes history and joins Anquetil, Gimondi, Merckx, Hinault and Contador as only the 6th winner of all Three Grand Tours! Bravo Lo Squalo!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Old 12-24-12, 16:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angliru View Post
First to react to the reaction is the terrified Contador hater. You're as predictable as those that you vilify.
+1 ........