The importance of crank length to the cyclist. - Page 175 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Form & Fitness > General

Closed Thread

Old 12-24-12, 19:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachFergie View Post
Ha ha most of my coaching is technique.

It's your technique that doesn't matter.

The techniques I coach have a biomechanical and physiological basis to them.

You never answer questions, instead you try to wriggle your way out with a vague reply. You say Obree explained it, how does it differ from natural pedaling.
Old 12-24-12, 20:00
Banned

There is a 7.5mm difference between the cranks on my track bikes, and those on my race bikes.

I haven't noticed a huge difference, in all honesty. Probably would if I upped the length the same amount.
Old 12-24-12, 22:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by coapman View Post
You never answer questions, instead you try to wriggle your way out with a vague reply. You say Obree explained it, how does it differ from natural pedaling.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Obree-Wa.../dp/B0094382WC

Power Meters like Powercranks don't improve performance one bit. But at least with a Power Meter you can see yourself not improving because of it
Old 12-24-12, 22:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by coapman View Post
How vague is saying neither way of explaining application of power across the top of the stroke improving performance is unsupported by the data?

Very sad seeing the technology to test the hypothesis has been available for 30 years. Why have you not put your money where your mouth is?

Power Meters like Powercranks don't improve performance one bit. But at least with a Power Meter you can see yourself not improving because of it
Old 02-06-13, 15:29

New anecdote to report. User just reported he has been experimenting with crank length on his basic PowerCranks that will go as short as 145mm. He is a triathlete and used to racing on 175mm cranks. He was having trouble adapting to the PowerCranks at the 175mm length (even when he went "short" to 165) and I suggested that he go as short as possible (145). He agreed after he heard my rational. After just a few weeks of on the 145mm PowerCranks he is reporting he is definitely faster on the 145mm PowerCranks than he is on his 175mm regular cranks. Now his dilemma is to figure out if the improvement is the crank length or the PowerCranks or both. That should be easy to do by simply getting some 145 mm regular cranks and comparing again. My guess is it is a little of both.
Old 02-06-13, 22:27

Another anecdote I heard today. A bike fitter I know just told me he did two things for someone having a lot of back pain, he shortened his cranks to 150 (he wanted to go a little shorter but the rider couldn't find compatible cranks shorter) and he widened his stance. Not only did his back pain go away he improved his time up a local climb by 18 minutes. PowerCranks not involved in this one.
Old 02-06-13, 22:55

Ok, I'm jumping in rather late on this one.

I can see power cranks being used by exercise physiologists to test work outputs at various crank lengths.

...and that is all.

Just like rpm there is an optimal crank length for each athlete with the latter being related to femur and foot length.

On a sarcastic note, just imagine how fast Usain Bolt would be if he limited his training stride by tying his ankles together.
Old 02-06-13, 23:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by FitSsikS View Post
…there is an optimal crank length for each athlete with the latter being related to femur and foot length.
Would you have any science to support that statement? In your opinion, exactly how is optimum crank length related to femur and foot length and what is your formula and where did it come from? Thanks for your participation.
Old 02-07-13, 01:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankDay View Post
Would you have any science to support that statement? In your opinion, exactly how is optimum crank length related to femur and foot length and what is your formula and where did it come from? Thanks for your participation.
That's a good question, one you might want to answer yourself in fact. Since you are the one telling us that our 170 - 172.5 mm cranks are the wrong length and all
Old 02-07-13, 07:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankDay View Post
New anecdote to report. User just reported he has been experimenting with crank length on his basic PowerCranks that will go as short as 145mm. He is a triathlete and used to racing on 175mm cranks. He was having trouble adapting to the PowerCranks at the 175mm length (even when he went "short" to 165) and I suggested that he go as short as possible (145). He agreed after he heard my rational. After just a few weeks of on the 145mm PowerCranks he is reporting he is definitely faster on the 145mm PowerCranks than he is on his 175mm regular cranks. Now his dilemma is to figure out if the improvement is the crank length or the PowerCranks or both. That should be easy to do by simply getting some 145 mm regular cranks and comparing again. My guess is it is a little of both.
Without power meter data it is just a guess.

Closed Thread