Who will better the other Contador vs Schleck in 2013! - Page 9 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

View Poll Results: Schleck vs Contador in 2013
Alberto Contador 71 77.17%
Andy Schleck 13 14.13%
Other, for those who never vote but like to click buttons. 8 8.70%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-24-12, 21:10

2013 is much more than the tour and unfortunately come the start of the year Andy will revert to the norm worrying about LBL and the Tour while Bertie wins from San Luis all the way through. It's a season, not one sodding race!

PS...Bertie will still stomp all over him

PPS.....Merry Christmas campers

www.justcycling.myfastforum.org
Old 12-24-12, 21:22
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pistolero View Post
Froome got second last year while working for Wiggins and losing time on one of the earlier stages. He can win the Tour as strange as it may sound for a rider that no one heard of in 2011.

Contador was a bit too worried with Froome during the Vuelta. But he'll be more confident for next year.
Lots of helpers have achieved nice results while working for their leaders. Just look at "most sophisticated" team.
It's different when they become leaders and subjects of attention on and off the road.
I'd say Contador was worried just until he saw him randomly attacking without thinking and observing the opposition.
Old 12-24-12, 21:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by serfla View Post
Lots of helpers have achieved nice results while working for their leaders. Just look at "most sophisticated" team.
It's different when they become leaders and subjects of attention on and off the road.
I'd say Contador was worried just until he saw him randomly attacking without thinking and observing the opposition.
He stopped worrying when Froome's shape went downhill.
horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hitch
Goss will woop boonens candy ass in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week
Old 12-24-12, 21:46
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pistolero View Post
He stopped worrying when Froome's shape went downhill.
I think it's been already on stage 4, when Froome attacked on Valdezcaray pulling with him Contador and Roche and getting back to the bunch realizing it was thoughtless and senseless.
That stage and the one where Froome was distanced and attacked immediately after he caught Spanish trio, are showing his racing sense.
Old 12-24-12, 23:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contadoraus Schlecks View Post
Whomever wins the tour will have the better season. That's likely the only real objective of both this year. It's the prestigious 100 edition and both, especially contador, know that they must defeat sky in order to demonstrate dominance. As airstream has stated many times Froome is really an unknown quantity whom they both fear
Airstream speaks of Froome as a "known" quantity. I agree that they respect Froome based on the skill he's displayed in the mountains, versus the clock, and are conscious of Sky's depth in talent for stage racing . I also agree with you that he is an "unknown" quantity but against Andy and Alberto.
Old 12-24-12, 23:12

Quote:
I think it's been already on stage 4, when Froome attacked on Valdezcaray pulling with him Contador and Roche and getting back to the bunch realizing it was thoughtless and senseless.
That stage and the one where Froome was distanced and attacked immediately after he caught Spanish trio, are showing his racing sense.
I think that last attack was one of those, "If I'm hurting, then they must be too". A last ditch attempt to separate himself from his rivals before he blew in hopes that they would blow up before he would. It was a strange choice at the wrong time, especially considering he had the Tour in his legs. I give him credit for sticking it out till the end the Vuelta though.
Old 12-24-12, 23:32
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angliru View Post
I think that last attack was one of those, "If I'm hurting, then they must be too". A last ditch attempt to separate himself from his rivals before he blew in hopes that they would blow up before he would. It was a strange choice at the wrong time, especially considering he had the Tour in his legs. I give him credit for sticking it out till the end the Vuelta though.
Very wrong assessment from Froome in that case, I think.
He was behind, labored to get himself back and didn't think even for a moment that it (catching Spaniards) was result of them slowing rather than him being stronger.
Watching the situation at the moment, I remember thinking: "Can't believe what's he doing. It's obvious they've slowed down in order to save themselves for the finish, realizing they can't shake off of each other."

Finishing Vuelta got to have something with team hierarchy for the 2013., IMO.
If I remember correctly, Vuelta was Sky's testing ground. At least that was the spirit after "controversial" Tour role.

Nevertheless, 4. place after second in the Tour and Olympics deserves respect.
Old 12-24-12, 23:47

Quote:
Very wrong assessment from Froome in that case, I think.
He was behind, labored to get himself back and didn't think even for a moment that it (catching Spaniards) was result of them slowing rather than him being stronger.
Watching the situation at the moment, I remember thinking: "Can't believe what's he doing. It's obvious they've slowed down in order to save themselves for the finish, realizing they can't shake off of each other."

Finishing Vuelta got to have something with team hierarchy for the 2013., IMO.
If I remember correctly, Vuelta was Sky's testing ground. At least that was the spirit after "controversial" Tour role.

Nevertheless, 4. place after second in the Tour and Olympics deserves respect.
Remember though that was his MO up to that point every time Contador attacked: he would lose contact and slowly reel them in. Only this time it was pretty obvious to us that he was put into difficulty but maybe from his perspective he couldn't see that circumstances had changed. He still brought them back and it's possible he believed all that was being said and written about him, feeling it was just a matter of time before his rivals would falter from his awesome feats of strength (A little Festivus humour! ). I would hope that it was a learning experience that he takes into 2013.
Old 12-25-12, 00:04
Banned

Quote:
Remember though that was his MO up to that point every time Contador attacked: he would lose contact and slowly reel them in. Only this time it was pretty obvious to us that he was put into difficulty but maybe from his perspective he couldn't see that circumstances had changed. He still brought them back and it's possible he believed all that was being said and written about him, feeling it was just a matter of time before his rivals would falter from his awesome feats of strength (A little Festivus humour! ). I would hope that it was a learning experience that he takes into 2013.
One more GT as a leader (against strong field, off course) and several week long races in same manner, and I think he'll get needed experience.
Giro is perfect opportunity, although I'm not sure he treats it that way (or if he's in position to call the shots, at all)

But there's a thing regarding him (I've mentioned in the clinic section) that keeps me restless.
Old 12-25-12, 07:42
Banned

Quote:
Airstream speaks of Froome as a "known" quantity. I agree that they respect Froome based on the skill he's displayed in the mountains, versus the clock, and are conscious of Sky's depth in talent for stage racing . I also agree with you that he is an "unknown" quantity but against Andy and Alberto.
Yeah, it is a healthy stance, unlike a stance 'I measure all by Contador'.