U.S. Politics - Page 601 - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Cafe > General

General Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Old 12-24-12, 21:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphronesis View Post
Wait, I thought the threat was internal.
Yes internal, as in within his own head.

Proud member of the Clinic 1200
Old 12-24-12, 21:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroDeal View Post
The theory works double for the country's own government. It is much easier for politicains to score political points by killing defenseless brown people in other countries.
Really? Which recent politician has gained political points from that in the overall scheme of things?
Old 12-24-12, 21:56
Banned

Quote:
Really? Which recent politician has gained political points from that in the overall scheme of things?
Reagan, Bush 1, Clinton, Bush 2, Obama.
Old 12-24-12, 21:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Januss View Post
Yes internal, as in within his own head.
Well, you know. After irony comes self-parody. Seems to be the trajectory in the making.
Old 12-24-12, 22:02

Quote:
I subscribe to what I will refer to as the free beer theory of conflict. When an aggressor is looking around for a country to invade, they will see 'merica and its every meat eating resident with a shootin' iron close at hand. That won't want any part of that. Instead they will look toward a country like Italy and think, "Whoa, free beer."
Right, like the Taliban. I guess what they say is true. It takes one to know one.
Old 12-24-12, 22:07
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhubroma View Post
Right, like the Taliban. I guess what they say is true. It takes one to know one.
So now ruhbroma has descended to the "I know you are but what am I" stage of discourse. Nice.
Old 12-24-12, 22:09

Quote:
Reagan, Bush 1, Clinton, Bush 2, Obama.
Taking just one of those, Bush the first did have a great run as president didn't he. Gulf War did wonders for him. And I suppose Clinton didn't intervene in the Balkans because, what, the Serbs weren't brown enough? Too many weapons of their own.

Please do carry on.
Old 12-24-12, 22:14
Banned

Quote:
Taking just one of those, Bush the first did have a great run as president didn't he. Gulf War did wonders for him. And I suppose Clinton didn't intervene in the Balkans because, what, the Serbs weren't brown enough? Too many weapons of their own.

Please do carry on.
You seem to have forgotten a lot of military operations. Typical that libs pay more attention to restricting the rights of law abiding Americans.

Please do carry on with your war against the Bill of Rights. I cannot wait for your rationalization for doing away with that pesky first amendment.
Old 12-24-12, 22:23

Quote:
You seem to have forgotten a lot of military operations. Typical that libs pay more attention to restricting the rights of law abiding Americans.

Please do carry on with your war against the Bill of Rights. I cannot wait for your rationalization for doing away with that pesky first amendment.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-20838729
Seems like it might be the right wingers who would like to do away with that pesky little document.

Proud member of the Clinic 1200
Old 12-24-12, 22:26

Quote:

One, I'm not a lib--whatever you think that means. I guarantee you that if you and Scott sat there and spat out all of the qualifications you assign to "libs" you would find that aside from occupation and education I fit few of them.

Second, you seem to have abdicated even basic reading skills as my post began with the phrase "to take just one." I do have the sense that you're able to parse meaning at least that well.

Third, US military policy was argued in this thread some ways back and I was in it (as I recall you weren't); never mind actual activities outside the CN politics forum.

Fourth, I don't even know why this is surprising coming from you, but there are actually many people, liberals and otherwise, who are able to be critical of many fronts--which would mean it's not a choice between criticizing US foreign and domestic policy. That the latter is under discussion this week does not mean that the former is never--not even consistently--scrutinized.

Fifth, I haven't even posted anything yet on this thread that suggests a war on the Bill of Rights or doing away with the Second Am, only that your "defense" of it--if that's what it is--is internally contradictory in almost every post.

Sixth, when in the country I rely on the First almost daily to degrees I suspect don't extend to you in the least--much beyond doing a long slow circuit of forums in between rides and riling the locals. As I suggested to you a couple of days ago, I would be thrilled to see you actually push the envelope of the First Amendment and to see how you react when the Feds take issue with that.

So, please, spare me. The Sky fans seem a little bit more your mettle today.

Last edited by aphronesis; 12-24-12 at 22:32.