Who will win the 2013 GIRO? (Second round) - Page 14 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

View Poll Results: Who will win the 2013 GIRO?
Wiggins 52 30.41%
Nibali 51 29.82%
Rodriguez 11 6.43%
Hesjedal 10 5.85%
Gesink 21 12.28%
Sanchez 5 2.92%
Basso 6 3.51%
Scarponi 2 1.17%
A colombian 4 2.34%
Other/Vino 9 5.26%
Voters: 171. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 12-24-12, 21:55
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pistolero View Post
Meh, no prologue. I don't think his team is capable of winning the TTT either.

2011 also had a couple of great early stages and he wasn't there either. The main difference now is that he's skipping the Tour next year. In all other years he did the Tour.

Cancellara is talented enough to ride excellent in both the classics and the Giro. If Pippo Pozzato can, so can Cancellara.
- He could win the first stage.
- He could win the third attacking on the descent.
- He could win the fifth.
- He could win the seventh.
- At this point he could be very easily ahead of Wiggo before the ITT so he could just limit his losses and wear pink already.
- The ninth stage will be the test on the WC circuit and he could definitely be with the best. He probably would end the Giro there.
if not,
- He could win stage 13 and 17 too.

on the contrary, the Giro 2011 had only 3-4 stages suited to him, considering that by stage 7 he would already be in serious trouble going to Montevergine.

So yes, this is his better chance ever. A short prologue may be slightly better, but it would be a one-only try instead af an entire week where he can take the pink any day.

WARNING: Location says Germany, but I'm Italian...
Old 12-24-12, 21:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eshnar View Post
- He could win the first stage.
- He could win the third attacking on the descent.
- He could win the fifth.
- He could win the seventh.
- At this point he could be very easily ahead of Wiggo before the ITT so he could just limit his losses and wear pink already.
- The ninth stage will be the test on the WC circuit and he could definitely be with the best. He probably would end the Giro there.
if not,
- He could win stage 13 and 17 too.

on the contrary, the Giro 2011 had only 3-4 stages suited to him, considering that by stage 7 he would already be in serious trouble going to Montevergine.

So yes, this is his better chance ever. A short prologue may be slightly better, but it would be a one-only try instead af an entire week where he can take the pink any day.
But considering Cancellara has only ever won one stage in a GT that isn't a time trial I wouldn't give him as many chances as you seem to give him lol...

The hilly classic-type stages will only be paying off if more hilly riders are coming to the Giro... Cancellara is basically unbeatable in a prologue. It's where he gets all his leader jerseys. I think this year's Giro was his best chance ever, but he obviously could not start there.
horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hitch
Goss will woop boonens candy ass in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week

Last edited by El Pistolero; 12-24-12 at 22:01.
Old 12-24-12, 22:01
Administrator

Quote:
But considering Cancellara has only ever won one stage in a GT that isn't a time trial I wouldn't give him as many chances as you seem to give him lol...
you should probably tell him, so he won't waste his time chasing a jersey he can't win.

I'm not saying he'll win 7 stages. I say he can win 7 stages. Quite different, actually. Especially since his objective is not "winning stages" but taking the jersey.

Old 12-24-12, 22:05

Quote:
you should probably tell him, so he won't waste his time chasing a jersey he can't win.

I'm not saying he'll win 7 stages. I say he can win 7 stages. Quite different, actually. Especially since his objective is not "winning stages" but taking the jersey.
You misunderstand me. He can win the jersey, and it will be a motivation for him, but a prologue would always have been better for Cancellara. He's basically unbeatable there.

I'm still convinced the main reason he's riding the Giro is because he's fed up with riding the Tour de France as a domestique for the Schlecks.

If it was really an important goal for him he'd have started in a Giro that kicked things off with a prologue. I'm not sure, but I don't think he ever lost a prologue in a GT... Hence why he doesn't like the long time trials.
horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato
Quote:
Goss will woop boonens candy ass in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week

Last edited by El Pistolero; 12-24-12 at 22:08.
Old 12-24-12, 22:11
Administrator

Quote:
But I'm still convinced the main reason he's riding the Giro is because he's fed up with riding the Tour de France as a domestique for the Schlecks.
That's the main reason he won't race the Tour.
Starting from "I don't wanna race the Tdf for a reason X" you need another step to decide "I'll race the Giro" because a guy like Cancellara is certainly not forced to ride one of the two.
I don't think he would race a GT he's not really interested in (because let's face it, he doesn't give a **** about the Giro, he just wants the last piece of his collection), placed in an awful period of the year for a classic rider, in which there's only one stage he would win.

Old 12-24-12, 22:18

Quote:
That's the main reason he won't race the Tour.
Starting from "I don't wanna race the Tdf for a reason X" you need another step to decide "I'll race the Giro" because a guy like Cancellara is certainly not forced to ride one of the two.
I don't think he would race a GT he's not really interested in (because let's face it, he doesn't give a **** about the Giro, he just wants the last piece of his collection), placed in an awful period of the year for a classic rider, in which there's only one stage he would win.
Let's just say I'm not too convinced of that yet!

I have seen some amazing things over the last few years from classic riders in May-June.

http://www.sporza.be/permalink/1.1034272

^ An example if you want(my favorite )

If he didn't give a **** about the Giro I doubt he'd give a **** for the leader jersey by the way. It's just that he always had obligations in the Tour until now. Even if you're a big rider you can still be forced to ride a certain race. Especially if that certain race happens to be the Tour.

You can't peak for the classics, Giro and the Tour, but I think the classics and Giro are a do-able combo. It's just that many cobbled classic riders really don't care at all about the Giro unlike Cancellara.
Quote:

Last edited by El Pistolero; 12-24-12 at 22:37.
Old 12-24-12, 22:53
Administrator

Quote:
It's just that many cobbled classic riders really don't care at all about the Giro unlike Cancellara.
So that's why he raced the Giro 2009 so hard, right?

Old 12-24-12, 23:05

Quote:
So that's why he raced the Giro 2009 so hard, right?
He was pretty bad at the classics as well that year.

He already agreed to ride the Giro that year in 2008 though. Probably because it was the 100th year anniversary of the Giro.
Quote:
Old 12-24-12, 23:24

We'll know Wiggins support quite quickly in the season.

The whole Giro team will do together Oman, Tirreno & Trentino as prep ( if not few races more ). Dombrowski is the first rider officially confirmed to do Giro after Wiggins through recent interview.
Old 12-24-12, 23:31
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gloin22 View Post
We'll know Wiggins support quite quickly in the season.

The whole Giro team will do together Oman, Tirreno & Trentino as prep ( if not few races more ). Dombrowski is the first rider officially confirmed to do Giro after Wiggins through recent interview.
Wiggo included?

Closed Thread