U.S. Politics - Page 602 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Cafe > General

General Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Old 12-24-12, 22:28

LOL in bizarro parallel universe its the Liberals who are responsible for the drug war, and against gay marriage and a woman's right to choose. Try to do something about affecting the odds of an individuals right to be murdered and all of a sudden libs are the fascist party?

Proud member of the Clinic 1200
Old 12-24-12, 22:32
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphronesis View Post
One, I'm not a lib--whatever you think that means. I guarantee you that if you and Scott sat there and spat out all of the qualifications you assign to "libs" you would find that aside from occupation and education I fit few of them.
Aha! So you admit that you satisfy two of the most basic litmus tests. It's always good to know what we are dealing with.
Old 12-24-12, 22:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroDeal View Post
Aha! So you admit that you satisfy two of the most basic litmus tests. It's always good to know what we are dealing with.
Yes, because as our politicians demonstrate daily, dealing with actual content would take too much effort.
Old 12-24-12, 22:53

Quote:
So now ruhbroma has descended to the "I know you are but what am I" stage of discourse. Nice.
Primitive discourse is meant as response to a primitive mind, Bro.
Old 12-24-12, 23:08
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhubroma View Post
Primitive discourse is meant as response to a primitive mind, Bro.
Well, once the syllables and intellectual affections are stripped from from your typical posts, there is not much not left beyond a condescending primitiveness then you should feel right at home.
Old 12-24-12, 23:11

Handbags at 20 paces, gentlemen.

Proud member of the Clinic 1200
Old 12-25-12, 01:10

Quote:
Well, once the syllables and intellectual affections are stripped from from your typical posts, there is not much not left beyond a condescending primitiveness then you should feel right at home.
Naw, I'm merely really curious.
Old 12-25-12, 03:01

Scott and I obviously have our differences, but I would never accuse him of trolling. Maybe he has done it at some point, but I donít see in the vast majority of his posts an attempt to troll. Of course when a large majority of regular posters in a forum disagree with you, anything you say is likely to seem like trolling. On another forum a long time ago, I used to support making doping permissible, and I was frequently accused of trolling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott SoCal View Post
You are ****ing kidding me right here. Just because conservatives believe there are market solutions versus big government means what, exactly?

Universal care is THE only way forward lest those that oppose are what? When have you seen conservatives (not some freak fringe) turn away fro those truly in need? This is a specious argument. It's not about raising taxes, it's about a government that does what it was designed to do. And that has nothing to do with buying millions of constituients.

This is your worst post I have ever read on this board and there is no close second.
Put it this way, Scott. Before Obama (and for that matter, Clinton before him) made health care a central issue of his administration, how many Republicans were calling for health care reform? Can you name one? If that isnít evidence of support for the status quo, I donít know what is.

Sure, now that everyone is talking about health care, the Republicans do, too. But their proposals strike me as not that different in intent as that underlying the NRAís response to Newtown. When an issue receives so much publicity that everyone is talking about it, you have to join the conversation. You have to pretend that a) you take it seriously as an issue; and b) you have a solution that will avoid the proposals of the other side. As soon as those proposals die, you will very happily give up the conversation, because your sole or main purpose all along was not reform, but just to prevent the reforms suggested by others. It's actually the political equivalent of trolling.

Thanks to Obamacare, the issue will not die. So sure, the Republicans have proposals out there. But if Obamacare were declared unconstitutional or defeated in some other manner, and much of the public were to lose interest in health care as a pressing issue, do you really think Republicans would continue to show interest in health care reform? Seriously? If they didn't prior to Obama, why would they now?

All universal care means is that everyone is covered, for at least some things. If you aren't for that, then yes, it's hypocritical to complain when stuff happens because someone didn't get adequate care. Universal care is not, of course, incompatible with market or private solutions, which are part of the solution in many countries that have universal health care. Yet conservatives as far as I can tell haven't a good word to say about these systems, which virtually every developed country except the U.S. has in place.
Old 12-25-12, 03:38
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhubroma View Post
Naw, I'm merely really curious.
Your problem is that you have been out of the country long enough that you are no longer one of us. You are probably vegetarian. You can no longer survive on the rich diet of salt, grease, and high fructose corn syrup that real Americans use for food. Instead, subsisting on rabbit food has left you feeble and susceptible to the defeatism of the libs, who always have a white flag ready for the slightest possibility of danger. You need to grow a pair, or at least one, rediscover your manliness, and savor the freedom of a good weapon in your hands.
Old 12-25-12, 14:14

Quote:
Your problem is that you have been out of the country long enough that you are no longer one of us. You are probably vegetarian. You can no longer survive on the rich diet of salt, grease, and high fructose corn syrup that real Americans use for food. Instead, subsisting on rabbit food has left you feeble and susceptible to the defeatism of the libs, who always have a white flag ready for the slightest possibility of danger. You need to grow a pair, or at least one, rediscover your manliness, and savor the freedom of a good weapon in your hands.
Indeed all them snagletooth aytalian femine have shriveled my pair away, like prunes. The only hunting I do is looking for porcini in the woods, but you don't need a gun for that. The only meat I religiously eat is wild cingiale, which means boar, in your barbarian tongue. Now, back in the land of the free and the brave, so called, I can't even get pancetta, let alone guanciale, to make my beloved amatricana sauce for pasta, which ain't right. How can these people live in such semi-darkness, it's like living in a museum!

Last edited by rhubroma; 12-25-12 at 14:43.