Who will win 2013 GIRO? - Page 55 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

View Poll Results: Who will win 2013 GIRO?
Nibali 90 32.03%
Rodriguez 29 10.32%
Hesjedal 16 5.69%
Basso 9 3.20%
Wiggins 106 37.72%
Scarponi 2 0.71%
Others 29 10.32%
Voters: 281. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-17-12, 01:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by serfla View Post
Evans could really be cat among the pigeons.

Menchov is the other name which is falling on my mind, but I'm very reserved regarding him.
Menchov's done. Too old, steadily declining over the years. Capable of a stage win, perhaps, but not much more than being on the 20th+ place list.
Old 12-17-12, 11:06

I voted Purito, but I don't think he will ride anymore. If the issue with Katusha is not resolved, I reckon he'll join a WT team that has no viable leader for the Tour, such as Astana. Either way, it's likely that he'll go for the Tour instead.

Still a strong field of climbers, IMO. Nibali won't win easily... or more likely, not at all.
Old 12-17-12, 11:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentacycle View Post
Could be true, his crashes were worse than they first appeared. Wiggins' 2011 collarbone fracture, even if that looked bad, healed quite well. He was already training on rollers a few days afterwards, which meant he was able to do a sufficient preparation for the Vuelta, even without racing days.
Fact remains that we haven't seen the 2011 Dauphine Gesink in a while, and there's no reason to believe he'll be back for next season. He's definitely not a Giro favourite, like Wiggins(?), Purito, Hesjedal or Nibali obviously are.
Why would he not be a favorite. If he can recover.from injuries - and time is the great healer, then it is very likely he will get his.climbing form.back.

And with his climbing form.i can't see who.would drop him. Samu of 2 years ago maybe and purito 200m.from the finish but that's about it.
If there's a 1% suspicion or doubt that a team is working with certain doctors, then they shouldn't be invited to the Tour de France - as simple as that.
journalist with integrity.

Last edited by The Hitch; 12-17-12 at 14:46.
Old 12-17-12, 12:05

So Wiggo will aim for the Giro-Tour double...

Do you think he will give the Giro absolutely everything then, or do you think he will save something for the Tour?
When a rider refuses to take a pull even though it is tactically and/or strategically more sound to take a pull
*Refusing to pull when it is tactically and/or strategically more sound not to is therefore not wheelsucking
Change my pitch up/Smack my bitch up
Old 12-17-12, 12:11
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netserk View Post
Really? I must have missed the news.

Logic says he'll fail, so he'd better go all out at the Giro

WARNING: Location says Germany, but I'm Italian...
Old 12-17-12, 12:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netserk View Post

Do you think he will give the Giro absolutely everything then, or do you think he will save something for the Tour?
The latter. I think he mistakenly thinks he can win the Giro without having to go all out. It's just a gut feeling, though.

Props to him if he's serious about the double.
Old 12-17-12, 12:38
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18-Valve. (pithy) View Post
The latter. I think he mistakenly thinks he can win the Giro without having to go all out. It's just a gut feeling, though.

Props to him if he's serious about the double.
Would be awesome to watch Wiggo in pink blowing out spectacularly on the Tre Cime , like Evans 2002

WARNING: Location says Germany, but I'm Italian...
Old 12-17-12, 13:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hitch View Post
Why would he not be a favorite. If he can recover.from injuries - and time is the great healer, wounds, then it is very likely he will get his.climbing form.back.

And with his climbing form.i can't see who.would drop him. Samu of 2 years ago maybe and purito 200m.from the finish but that's about it.
I know that his 2009-10 level was even better than Samu's, in the Vuelta he blew everyone away with his accelarations in the final kilometre of Aitana and Velefique. His first Tour result was also unexpectedly good. If he can achieve this level again he'll be a favourite ofc, but I don't see it happening. That's still wishful thinking atm.
Old 12-25-12, 01:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxmartin View Post
I or someone else will make a new poll when dust settle down a little bit, there is just too much going on right now. Nobody is for sure who is going to ride the GIRO maybe except Nibali and Hesjedal
LOL we should wait a little bit to make a new poll about GIRO, if JR wants to win Tour, he will most certainly skip Giro

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/rodr...tour-de-france

Merry Christmas and happy new year, everybody
Old 12-25-12, 10:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxmartin View Post
LOL we should wait a little bit to make a new poll about GIRO, if JR wants to win Tour, he will most certainly skip Giro

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/rodr...tour-de-france

Merry Christmas and happy new year, everybody
I voted JR because I would like to see him win. Not sure he will ride though.