National Football League - Page 200 - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Cafe > General

General Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1991  
Old 12-24-12, 14:55
FoxxyBrown1111's Avatar
FoxxyBrown1111 FoxxyBrown1111 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Germany
Posts: 5,583
Default

Unbelieveable but true, the NYG are still alive...

Happy holidays to everybody, too.
Reply With Quote
  #1992  
Old 12-24-12, 17:09
ChrisE's Avatar
ChrisE ChrisE is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 3,313
Default

Full blown meltdown on Houston sports talk radio this morning. Was lucky enough to catch some of it on the way to pick up some last minute gifts.

Texan fanboy has gone from booking hotel rooms in NO 6 weeks ago to their offense getting outrushed by Christian Ponder lol.
__________________
"He called me a baboon, he thinks I'm his wife." - Al Czervik
Reply With Quote
  #1993  
Old 12-24-12, 17:21
Alpe d'Huez's Avatar
Alpe d'Huez Alpe d'Huez is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: New England
Posts: 7,928
Default

A few games really stood out to me this weekend, both of which I picked wrong.

First, who wants to play Seattle now? But some questions arose from last night's game more than the answer that yes, the Seahawks really are that good, and in some ways actually managed to beat the 49ers up, taking both Davis and Manningham out. But can the 49ers come from behind, no matter who the QB is? Also, it's Justin, not Alden Smith who the 49ers need. The wrong time of the year for the 49ers to have these problems.

Green Bay's beating of Tennessee wasn't that surprising, but the way they demolished them perhaps was. As I alluded to in recent posts, the Packers are getting healthy and peaking at the right time.

I would have thought the loss to the 49ers would have been a wake up call to the Patriots. I was wrong. Playing well in the 4Q helped, but this doesn't look like a SB team.

Houston holding AP to low yardage, but still losing handily to Minnesota was something. I am starting to think the Colts can beat them next week. Props to them, btw, and to Andrew Luck breaking the rookie passing yardage record. Who thought they would go 11-5, or 10-6 even.

Denver keeps on rolling, but let's see what happens playoff time. I can however see them beating Houston.

The pasting the Ravens gave to the Giants was no where near as close as the 33-14 score would have you believe. It was over early, and the Ravens just pummeled them. If there were concerns in Baltimore, they may be gone. Two weeks in a row, and three of four the Giants have been demolished... But get this. The Giants play Philly next week and can get in with some possible help. So, imagine the Giants squeaking out a win over Philly and eeking into the playoffs as a WC. They travel to SF and beat the injured 49ers again, then go to GB, and then Atlanta, and a few ball bounces their way, they win again. Then in the SB they play non other than the Patriots and become the first 8-8 team to win a SB. Imagine that?
Reply With Quote
  #1994  
Old 12-24-12, 17:25
ChrisE's Avatar
ChrisE ChrisE is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 3,313
Default

Houston will lose in Indy next week mark my words, unless Indy takes it easy due to their playoff seeding being set (I think).
__________________
"He called me a baboon, he thinks I'm his wife." - Al Czervik
Reply With Quote
  #1995  
Old 12-24-12, 18:01
Amsterhammer's Avatar
Amsterhammer Amsterhammer is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Amsterdam
Posts: 3,445
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisE View Post
Houston will lose in Indy next week mark my words, unless Indy takes it easy due to their playoff seeding being set (I think).
I kind of expect that too. It looks like the Texans peaked too soon. The Hawks, on the other hand, are looking seriously awesome right now.

The Ravens murdered the Giants in the first half, Flacco was on fire. But like the Skins, the Ravens never seem to be able to keep their foot to the floor for an entire game, like the Pack and the Hawks have shown in recent weeks.

RG3 was really 'looked after' by the Shanahans, no pistol offense, no fancy stuff, he hardly ran at all. The Skins play calling was 'traditional', for lack of a better word. Finally, the powers that be have recognized the importance of, and widespread interest in, the NFCE decider at Fedex, and have moved the game from 1 pm to Sun. evening prime time. Which means a very late night for me, but one not to be missed on any account!
__________________
The LOTE has won, all hail the LOTE.
Reply With Quote
  #1996  
Old 12-24-12, 18:02
Oldman Oldman is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Great Pacific NW
Posts: 4,702
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpe d'Huez View Post
A few games really stood out to me this weekend, both of which I picked wrong.

First, who wants to play Seattle now? But some questions arose from last night's game more than the answer that yes, the Seahawks really are that good, and in some ways actually managed to beat the 49ers up, taking both Davis and Manningham out. But can the 49ers come from behind, no matter who the QB is? Also, it's Justin, not Alden Smith who the 49ers need. The wrong time of the year for the 49ers to have these problems.

Green Bay's beating of Tennessee wasn't that surprising, but the way they demolished them perhaps was. As I alluded to in recent posts, the Packers are getting healthy and peaking at the right time.

I would have thought the loss to the 49ers would have been a wake up call to the Patriots. I was wrong. Playing well in the 4Q helped, but this doesn't look like a SB team.

Houston holding AP to low yardage, but still losing handily to Minnesota was something. I am starting to think the Colts can beat them next week. Props to them, btw, and to Andrew Luck breaking the rookie passing yardage record. Who thought they would go 11-5, or 10-6 even.

Denver keeps on rolling, but let's see what happens playoff time. I can however see them beating Houston.

The pasting the Ravens gave to the Giants was no where near as close as the 33-14 score would have you believe. It was over early, and the Ravens just pummeled them. If there were concerns in Baltimore, they may be gone. Two weeks in a row, and three of four the Giants have been demolished... But get this. The Giants play Philly next week and can get in with some possible help. So, imagine the Giants squeaking out a win over Philly and eeking into the playoffs as a WC. They travel to SF and beat the injured 49ers again, then go to GB, and then Atlanta, and a few ball bounces their way, they win again. Then in the SB they play non other than the Patriots and become the first 8-8 team to win a SB. Imagine that?
My small brain can only imagine Seattle....seattle....Merry Christmas.
Reply With Quote
  #1997  
Old 12-24-12, 18:36
Amsterhammer's Avatar
Amsterhammer Amsterhammer is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Amsterdam
Posts: 3,445
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldman View Post
My small brain can only imagine Seattle....seattle....Merry Christmas.
I believe I'm right in thinking that if the Skins win their division, their 'reward' is a home game against the Seahawks - unless the Hawks win their division, in which case the Skins would face the Niners.

Foles played the whole second half with a broken hand, Vick to start against the Giants, which might just change the odds slightly.
__________________
The LOTE has won, all hail the LOTE.
Reply With Quote
  #1998  
Old 12-24-12, 21:30
Alpe d'Huez's Avatar
Alpe d'Huez Alpe d'Huez is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: New England
Posts: 7,928
Default

Making a blind guess, I'd say the playoffs look like this:

AFC

Den and NE get byes
Cincy at Houston
Indy at Balt

Presuming the winners are Cincy, Baltimore that means Cincy would go to Denver, and NE would host Baltimore

NFC

Atl and GB get byes
Seattle at Wash
Chicago (or Minn, or NYG) at SF

Presuming the winners are Seattle and SF, that means Seattle would go to Atl and SF at GB.

Lot of assumptions there.
Reply With Quote
  #1999  
Old 12-24-12, 23:11
Merckx index's Avatar
Merckx index Merckx index is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 2,109
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpe d'Huez View Post
Making a blind guess, I'd say the playoffs look like this:

AFC

Den and NE get byes
Cincy at Houston
Indy at Balt

Presuming the winners are Cincy, Baltimore that means Cincy would go to Denver, and NE would host Baltimore

NFC

Atl and GB get byes
Seattle at Wash
Chicago (or Minn, or NYG) at SF

Presuming the winners are Seattle and SF, that means Seattle would go to Atl and SF at GB.

Lot of assumptions there.
Houston should beat Indy this week for a very simple reason. The Colts are locked into 5th seed, can’t finish higher or lower. Not to mention that being 5th seed is not always better than being 6th seed, and this year in the AFC is a good example, since no one knows yet who the third and fourth seeds will be. NE could yet finish fourth, but I’d rather play the Ravens than Brady and co. With no advantage to a win, the Colts should be resting some players, including Luck. Not for the whole game, but for some of it.

So I still think Houston will be no. one seed, followed by Denver, NE and Baltimore. Indy will play Baltimore and Cincy at NE. I think the home teams will win those games, but Indy could upset Baltimore. And I’m sticking to my prediction that Houston will make it to the title game. If the seeds are as I predict, Houston will not have to face either NE or Denver to reach the title game.

Your NFC view looks right, except I give Minn a decent chance to beat GB. The Vikings are fighting for a playoff spot and will be very motivated. The Packers are fighting for a first round bye, which IMO is a big advantage, but I’m told by those who know that teams have trouble motivating themselves for a higher seed after they make the playoffs.

The Giants still have a shot at the playoffs, but not at eight and eight. Seattle has one WC locked up, and the Vikings and Bears have won nine games. The Giants have to win their last game, the Vikings and Bears have to lose, and Washington has to beat Dallas. Actually, that is a fairly likely scenario, but with the postseason on the line, the Bears ought to be able to beat the Lions. So I'm guessing the Bears will be the sixth seed, and even with some troubles on defense, the Niners should be able to handle them again. Should be fun watching RGIII vs. the Seahawk defense--and RGIII vs. Wilson--but I agree the West Coast Washington team wins that one. Seattle at Atlanta could be one of the most interesting of all the playoff games.

I think Wilson has locked up ROY after his latest performance, though it will certainly be close with RGIII. What a year for rookie QBs, seven if you count Noles and Cousins, and nearly one third of the teams have a QB in his first or second year.

How about Pete Carroll as COY? The only team that has been more surprising than Seattle is Indy, but their coach has been on the sidelines for much of the season, and so shouldn’t really be eligible IMO. John Fox in Denver should get some votes, too, and maybe Jeff Fisher. As Alpe noted before, the Rams seem poised to be contenders next year.

Edit: Apparently the talk is that Indy's interim coach will win the award. I didn't realize he has been the de facto coach for nearly the whole season. The Colts are nine - three since he took over.

Last edited by Merckx index; 12-25-12 at 00:07.
Reply With Quote
  #2000  
Old 12-25-12, 05:12
Alpe d'Huez's Avatar
Alpe d'Huez Alpe d'Huez is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: New England
Posts: 7,928
Default

My gut tells me Minn doesn't have what it takes to stop GB. The Packers wont coast (much) and their offensive firepower is too much for the Vikings, but we'll see. The reason I picked Indy over Hou is that Pagano will be back on the sidelines for the Colts which will be a huge emotional boost, and I honestly think the Texans are somewhat on a slide. But the Colts defense isnt strong, and it could be a 38-34 type of game.

So, if Houston gets the bye, who is going to take out Den and NE, as you suggest? Right now, if the Texans get to the SB and have to play Atl, GB, Sea or SF, I see them losing by double digits, unless they can pull a serious turnaround.

Agree the Seahawks-Falcons match, should we get there, would be intriguing.

Mario Manningham meanwhile is out for the season with a torn ACL and PCL for San Francisco. Vernon Davis is likely to miss this week's game against AZ, resting a concussion. If you didn't see the hit Seattle's Kam Chancellor put on Davis (I thought legal), watch it. No helmet contact (either player), and Davis head didn't even hit the turf, but the impact was so hard Davis cme away with a concussion anyway. That hit alone encapsulated the entire game. Who thought the Seahawks would not only win, and win big, but beat up th 49ers the way they did?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:37.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.