Wigans goes there. Cadence! - Page 117 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > The Clinic

The Clinic The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Old 12-15-12, 23:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by acoggan View Post
1. Strength is not a limiting factor in endurance exercise performance.

2. In most cases, training one's self to pedal more slowly is unlikely to provide any major benefit (although dropping your cadence by 7 rpm might make you a tad more efficient).

3. My point in posting the page from Wiggins' book was simply to provide quantitative information re. how much his TT cadence (is claimed to have) decreased. I would consider such data (if correct) to be more reliable than, e.g., spot-checking of rpm on TV coverage.
But if you ride uphill at 50rpm, you will definitely ride faster at 96rpm on the flat in a TT. That's the point you are illustrating, whether you agree with it or not.

Also, if you match another rider's cadence, instead of using your own, world class and gold medal winning ability and experience self-selected cadence, you will be able to beat them. That's all you need to do, is match their cadence.

Something...
Old 12-15-12, 23:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dear Wiggo View Post
But if you ride uphill at 50rpm, you will definitely ride faster at 96rpm on the flat in a TT. That's the point you are illustrating
Please don't try to put words in my mouth.

Quote:
if you match another rider's cadence, instead of using your own, world class and gold medal winning ability and experience self-selected cadence, you will be able to beat them. That's all you need to do, is match their cadence.
You said it, not me.
Old 12-16-12, 00:16

Quote:
Please don't try to put words in my mouth.

You said it, not me.
In both instances, you are quoting the cyclist in question. Your agreement is implicit by your complete lack of comment to the contrary. In fact it's tantamount to an endorsement.
Old 12-16-12, 00:19

Quote:
TT cadence down from 103 to 96 rpm (not that I think that would make much difference):

(Wiggins also makes some comments relevant to how much/little his TT power is impacted by prior stages/races, but that's really a subject for another day/thread.)
acoggan believes this to be true.
Old 12-16-12, 02:03

Quote:
acoggan believes this to be true.
You're right: as I stated in the post in question, I don't believe that lowering cadence from 103 to 96 rpm would make much difference.
Old 12-17-12, 22:42

I cannot find the posts right now, but there was discussion where I believed Brad's CN interview from 2010 had more "truth" vs the Sky-produced film produced this year, 2 years later.

This explains the reasoning behind my trust in the earlier interview better than I could:

http://www.podiumcafe.com/2012/12/17...radley-wiggins
Quote:
Focussing as it does on the Sky years, My Time is more along the lines of On Tour than In Pursuit of Glory, all the autobiographical heavy lifting having already been done, Wiggins serving up pretty immediate reactions to recent history. This is not without value - sometimes there is more truth in an immediate response than in one which has been finessed by having been thought over and over and over - but does comes with the caveat that it is subject to revision, once time and distance are put between events and some of the key protagonists.

Last edited by Dear Wiggo; 12-17-12 at 22:45.
Old 12-24-12, 23:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehog View Post
Also I never said Sky are working with Ferrari. I said Wiggins is. Which he is. 100%.
December 24th is the day this posters credibility died. RIP.
Old 12-24-12, 23:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcrank View Post
December 24th is the day this posters credibility died. RIP.
That post is from September 28.
...[Walsh] thinks we're ahead of the curve. But think about it for a sec. We're building long-lasting, trusting relationships with people who are spending a lot of money - Coke, Nike, Subaru. If we're f***ing lying, we can kiss it all goodbye. And if we were lying we'd do some stupid stuff to try to cover it up, wouldn't we? Does anybody think for a second that a secret that big wouldn't come out? Bill Stapleton
Old 12-25-12, 08:39
Banned

It has been a slow and ugly death. But at least it is over now. For him as much as everybody else.

RIP the hog's credibility June 2009-December 2012
Old 12-25-12, 10:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehog View Post
Also I never said Sky are working with Ferrari. I said Wiggins is. Which he is. 100%.

'You are so cool Lance - and thanks for the doc's telephone number...won't let you down ! Sean is gona get a big bonus for this one !'