National Football League - Page 201 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Cafe > General

General Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Old 12-25-12, 21:23

Old 12-26-12, 02:35

@ Alpe

I still love Vick (the QB, the athlete, NOT the person)

The stat lines:
Vick 3-6 (5.9 Y/PP)
Foles 1-5 (5.5 Y/PP)

And an article:
"Mike Vick probably has a stronger arm, but RG3 is more dangerous, more balanced." Boah... even maybe stronger than the bionic superman
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/87...-espn-magazine

Edit: I know i am too much towards strong armed QBs... OTOH, those are the real ones

Last edited by FoxxyBrown1111; 12-26-12 at 03:59.
Old 12-26-12, 05:00

I love Vick as a player and as a person.
He has been shown the error in his former ways and has truly become a reformed person, unlike many in life without the fame or fortune. Good on him. He'll make a great return with hopefully another team that has an offensive line worth two and half cents.
Old 12-26-12, 12:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganrob View Post
Calvin breaks Jerry Rice's yardage mark last night. Will get 2k next week. He is truly an amazing athlete, in as class of his own. Also a classy and humble guy, works hard all the time. No diva.
Too bad he is all we have in the "D" worth watching righ now.
I agree although they need to erect a statue in honor of Jason Hanson for all the year's in his career that he was the Lions best player and the only one to exceedingly carry out his position's responsibilities.

I foolishly had hope after the Lions' 2011 season but all the off-season drama and trouble that many of the players got involved in led me to believe that they don't respect their coach and that management didn't take the character issue into consideration when selecting some of these clowns.

The coach needs to go. Some of his and his offensive coordinators decisions have left me wondering what the hell was he thinking, if he was thinking at all. The offense play calling in the redzone completely lacks imagination which is reflected in their laughable inability to close the deal. I stopped watching them at about midseason for fear that I might damage my tv by throwing something at it! They are continuing the cycle of Lions teams that are so bad that often the only highlight is to read the media's skewering on the following Monday of their comical playing.

Last edited by Angliru; 12-26-12 at 18:58. Reason: typo
Old 12-26-12, 17:34
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxxyBrown1111 View Post
I still love Vick (the QB, the athlete, NOT the person)
The stat lines:
Vick 3-6 (5.9 Y/PP)
Foles 1-5 (5.5 Y/PP)
I'll again refer to Merckx comments on Y/PP from before, and have repeatedly pointed out time and again why Vick is one of the most over-hyped players in recent NFL history. I have nothing else to say about the guy.

As to the Lions, I don't know that Schwartz needs to go, unless the Lions are sure they can get someone better in there. While you could argue Linehan had poor play calling, the Lions offense ranks second in the NFL, to only the Patriots. Their defense, at 13th in yards given up isn't bad, though they are 27th in points, meaning they are poor against the pass and in the red zone. Even Foxxy's coveted Y/PP they are 12th.

Also, Schwartz has been an emotional shot in the arm to the Lions who were horrible before he came around. So I wouldn't toss him after one bad year. They could however start looking at some of their player personnel. Schwartz did cut Culbrath, and stood up to Titus Young, who likely will never play in a Lion uniform again. He also needs to make waves that they are looking to shore up poor pass defense and poor character in the off season and upcoming draft, and that they are willing to dump name players (like Suh and Fairly) if necessary. That might straighten some of these idiots out, or find replacements for them. If Schwartz can't do that, then he probably should be fired. But I think he can.
Old 12-26-12, 18:01

I like that article about the Lions:

http://wagesofwins.com/2012/12/21/sh...-jim-schwartz/

... so id go with Alpe here: No need to fire the coach.
Old 12-26-12, 19:01
Administrator

Looking back to the start of the season's predictions can be fun. Here are some thoughts that appeared in my crystal ball before the season started :

First on 7/1 and then on 7/13 I thought the Pistol offense would work in the NFL, and Colin Kaepernick would be a good QB to pull it off (right, and mostly right, though SF only runs some pistol).

Also, the Broncos would finish 10-6 or 11-5 in a weak division (close), and the Saints could finish 12-4 (wrong) or 8-8 (maybe!).

On 7/28 I picked five players to bust this year:
1. Mark Sanchez (1000% correct, hand me a prize!).
2. Charles Johnson (right).
3. Michael Vick (right).
4. Pierre Garon (wrong).
5. Reggie Bush (wrong).

On 8/13 I thought: Terrell Pryor could be good if he played (he hasn't). The Chiefs were stacked as a team and could contend (way off). Luke Keuchly, while talented, may be too small for the NFL and get hurt (wrong again).

On 8/16: Luck would not win ROY, and Justin Blackmon wouldn't either, and Bruce Irvin would play well, but no where near ROY. (Right on all counts).

On 8/19: Adrian Peterson was coming back too soon, and Brandon Jacobs could make an impact for the 49ers. (Dead wrong on both counts).

On 8/21. The Eagles had talent, and Nick Foles could be good, but Vick would bust. (Jury still out on Foles, right on Vick, wrong on Eagles fortunes). Saw the Chiefs play pre-season that day and had quick second thoughts they would actually be good. (Should have actually listened to myself!).

On 8/26 when Russell Wilson was named the starter in Seattle I started to move to his fan side and said he could turn out to be a steal of a draft pick (true). But the following day I questioned how good Seattle would be with him at the helm, and called them a team that may be average (dead wrong). Later that day I said the Jets looked like a disaster, and Tebow was being wasted (both true).

On 8/28, leading up to the NCAA season, I questioned whether Logan Thomas would have a good QB year at VT, and questioned similar about Tyler Wilson. I was right. Thomas all but busted, and Wilson struggled. I still had stock in Landry Jones though, and he started slow but played very well in the stretch. Could be next year's draft steal.

On 9/4 I picked Brady to be MVP, and approach 6,000 yards, 500 completions and 60 TDs (probably right on MVP, wrong on stats). I thought Calvin Johnson would break Jerry Rice receiving record though. I liked Luck for ROY mostly due to popularity, and Patrick Willis for DPOY. Potential breakout teams to me were Kansas City (way wrong!), Detroit (wrong!), Houston (meh), Seattle (guessed under), Cincinnati (right) and Philadelphia (way wrong!).

Finally, on 9/4 I gave my NFL season predictions. I won't re-list it here, but point out some things: I liked the Broncos early, and to be "one and done" in the playoffs, we'll see about that one. I said the Eagles would be 11-5 and Vick stink (wrong, right), and the Giants average and miss the playoffs, and the Skins to "improve" to 7-9. I also said Chicago and Detroit would fight for a WC (right, wrong), and the Saints to finish 11-5 (wrong). I said Atl and Car would contend for WC (Atl better, Car some bad breaks). Said TB and Freeman would stink (mostly right). Didn't see SF going past about 10-6 with Alex Smith. Saw Seattle around 9-7. And last, I liked the Pats to finish 12-4 and win the SB over the 11-5 Packers. This could still happen.

Old 12-28-12, 02:18

LOL, Amster, first map I've ever seen where Texas is the only blue state! Congrats to RGIII for making the Pro Bowl, one of only two rookies to do so, and the only one playing on offense or defense.

Justin Smith has a partially torn triceps. This is bad news for the 49ers, not clear if he can play in the postseason. If the defense continues to play the way they have so far without him—second half vs. Pats, the whole game vs. the Seahawks—they will struggle to win the WC game they will probably get, and I can’t see them getting any further, vs. teams like GB, Atlanta or Seattle.

He’s a Pro Bowler and I would expect the defense to be hurt a little by his loss, but not that much. The Pro Bowl squads were just named, and the 49ers lead the NFL with nine players, including six on defense, five starters. If half your defense is Pro Bowlers, you should still be very good with one of them missing. Maybe it’s just a matter of Smith’s replacement getting in synch.

If Smith can play at or near 100%, then the 49ers have the kind of defense that can keep them in games even when the offense struggles. And with Mario Manningham and Vernon Davis out, the offense can be expected to struggle. I think they can survive without Manningham--they didn't have him last year when they almost went to the SB--but they really need Davis, who apparently still has not been cleared to play following a concussion. Though his production has been way down this year, that's in good part because defenses focus on shutting him down, opening up other receivers. They should be able to beat Arizona without him, but they have to him for the postseason.

Without him, they are down to Michael Crabtree—who is playing much better this year than last year—and Randy Moss, who has only been seeing spot duty. The team reportedly will move up one of their reserves, Ricardo Lockette or Chad Hall, but not first round draft pick A.J. Jenkins. Lockette is big and fast, a former track star who had the fastest 40 yd dash of all the WRs at his combine. Might be a great target for Kaepernick going deep. But the big question is, will Moss see more action? With Davis out, I think he has to play a lot more. It was always the plan for him to play more in the postseason, but now he may be needed to play most of the game. Does he want to? Can he?

Steve Coll, a prize-winning reporter who wrote a book on Afghanistan (Ghost Wars) that I highly recommend for understanding the background to our involvement there, weighs in on corruption and concussions in the NFL. Coll thinks the pay to injure scheme is very serious:

Quote:
if pay-to-hurt is as endemic as [Saints interim HC Joe] Vitt reportedly suggested, it may eventually lead to game-fixing schemes by professional gamblers. At least a quarter of a billion dollars is wagered weekly on N.F.L. regular-season games. Big dollars, weak refereeing, and corrupted locker rooms are a recipe for organized crime.
Wrt concussions, Coll says there are now about four thousand lawsuits pending against the NFL. I’m pretty sure I read less than a year ago that it was two thousand, so there must be a serious band-wagon effect going on.

I did a rough calculation. Several hundred players are drafted each year. Assume about one hundred go on to have significant careers in the NFL, starting or having a lot of playing time for at least several years. If the average player dies in his early seventies, about fifty years after his pro career begins, that means very roughly there are about five thousand former and current NFL players alive. But current players, as well as recently retired ones say in their early 30s, would presumably not be suing the NFL.

So there are about four thousand former NFL players who might be of an age where medical problems begin to set in. If there are four thousand lawsuits, this means virtually everyone! Even allowing for serious errors in my assumptions—the number could be doubled or tripled if you include marginal players who saw very little action--the figure is obviously a very substantial proportion of former players.

The range of problems I am sure is very wide. At one end of the spectrum you have guys who can no longer take care of themselves, are homeless, etc.; at the other end you have guys who may have very minor problems, even some who are perhaps faking it just to get in on the gravy train. But there must be a large % in the middle who have a real case. I just don’t see how the NFL, as popular as it is, is going to survive this without enormous changes.

Quote:
If Goodell and the owners don’t change the League’s rules fast enough to reduce concussions to a level comparable to that present in baseball and basketball—where concussions are very rare accidents—then the League will face a devastating reckoning. The tobacco and asbestos industries’ experiences show that, in the long run, if a commercial product causes widespread injuries among customers or workers, the manufacturer will pay—and government regulators may step in even before courtroom verdicts are fully calculated.
Coll himself seems to think the NFL will have to change to what practically amounts to touch football rules to survive:

Quote:
But eliminating kickoffs and encouraging players to tackle lower, avoiding each other’s heads—measures Goodell has started to implement or has hinted that he might take up—are not going to get it done. As in rugby, N.F.L. tackling will have to evolve among players into an act of mutual, subtly agreed stoppage in play, when one player gets his arms adequately around another—not the act of all-out assault by one player against another that it is now.
Sounds like the “in the grasp” rule that was instituted a while back to protect QBs. Good luck with that. I'm sure Adrian Peterson will say to some LB, yeah, you got me wrapped up, so I will stop right here. Can’t wait to see the response of James Harrison to this proposal.

Edit: There have been a little more than 19,000 players drafted by the NFL since 1955, which I’m guessing is about the year at which 50% of players drafted would still be alive. About 2500 have been drafted since 2003, and I assume very few of these would be involved in current suits, either because they are still active or because they are at an age when they have not yet experienced symptoms. So a rough estimate is that there are about 17,000 former NFL players who might be old enough (> 30) to be retired and experiencing symptoms. Many of these I’m sure never actually played in the NFL, and many more played very little. But even using this number, almost 25% of them are currently suing the NFL. And that number is growing very fast. Less than two years ago, when I believe these lawsuits were initiated, the number was only 75.

Edit: My preseason predictions:

NFC:

Bears would win the North (wrong, but if Cutler hadn’t gone down for a couple of games, they might have; still can make the playoffs)
Atlanta would win the South, and the Saints would struggle to be second (right on both counts)
Eagles would go to the SB (what was I thinking? But after two or three games I was on the Falcon band-wagon)
Niners would win the West easily (pretty much right, all they have to do is beat Arizona)

AFC:

Ravens might not win the North (they have, but have struggled)
Chargers would win the West (never underestimate the power of Norv to get the leastest from the mostest)
Houston would go to the SB (No longer favorites for that, but I’m sticking to my prediction that they will get to the AFC title game)
Didn’t pick a winner in the East, because like everyone else I assumed it was obvious the Pats would take it. Year in, year out, is there a safer prediction in the NFL?

Didn’t predict much in the way of individual performances, except that Luck would not suck. His numbers don’t look good, but the consensus everywhere outside of Foxxy-Foxxy land is that he’s had a really good year. Has to be doing something right to get this team to the playoffs. At least one sportswriter thinks he was snubbed for the Pro Bowl, that he should have been taken over Schaub.

Last edited by Merckx index; 12-29-12 at 01:26.
Old 12-28-12, 02:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merckx index View Post
LOL, Amster, first map I've ever seen where Texas is the only blue state! Congrats to RGIII for making the Pro Bowl, one of only two rookies to do so, and the only one playing on offense or defense.
Thanks Merckx, I'm quietly glowing with vicarious pride. Thanks also for another thoughtful and thought provoking contribution! Why don't you pick along with us for the last week?

Thanks also to Alpe for that summary of your early season foresight. Award yourself the Nostradamus Bowl for Sanchez and Vick.

I'll kick off week 17.

TB @ ATL - A semi lock for the Falcons
NYJ @ BUF - Lock # 1
BAL @ CIN - If last week's Ravens turn up, they can win this - but will they?
CHI @ DET - Again, which Bears will turn up? The real ones, I hope.
JAC @ TEN - Titans should be too good at home
HOU @ IND - Pagano's early return to inspire Colts to revenge win
CAR @ NO - Lock # 2, though it could be close if Cam catches fire
PHI @ NYG - If the Giants play like the last two weeks they could even lose this one, but I don't believe it
CLE @ PIT - Lock # 3 Ben has got much to prove

KC @ DEN - Lock # 4
GB @ MIN - Not quite a lock, but the Pack should be too strong
MIA @ NE - Lock # 5
OAK @ SD - Honestly, I don't want to pick either of these two
ARI @ SF - Lock # 6
STL @ SEA - Lock # 7

DAL @ WSH - Of course, this is the game everyone is really waiting for! I expect a high scoring, offense dominated game. Can the Skin's secondary cope with Dez? Can the Boy's line cope with Morris? Will RG3 play without that brace? If he does, I expect the usual offensive mixed bag of fireworks and I obviously hope and expect that the Skins win this one, even if by a last second FG. We're all so looking forward to getting crushed by the Hawks in the next game.

Lock # 2 looks like the most likely candidate for an upset, so it'll almost certainly be one of the others. There are bound to be more than three away wins too.....stop, don't think too deeply, just go with the flow that led to 14-2 last week.
Old 12-28-12, 16:42
Administrator

Thanks again Merckx for the thoughtful post. I too fear that the NFL may be so fearful of losing lawsuits that they implement too many safety rules. I completely understand the helmet to helmet, but what I don't get are clean hard hits that get penalized, such as Chancellor's hit on Davis that still resulted in a concussion. If you watch the play again Chancellor didn't go for the helmet, and didn't even really leave his feet. It was actually Davis who left his feet and opened himself up to the hit. I don't know a single thing Kam could have done other than let Davis catch the ball, or take his knees out. And to me, that's not football. The way to stop hits like this are for receivers to stop running such routes that expose them to free safetys (and Chancellor one of the hardest hitting in the league), receivers to stop leaving their feet with defenders possibly approaching, and for the QB's to stop leaving their receivers vulnerable with passes like this.

My week's picks:

TB @ ATL - Atlanta nothing to play for, but TB reeling.
NYJ @ BUF - As bad as Buffalo is...
BAL @ CIN - I like the Bengals at home in a playoff-like atmosphere.
CHI @ DET - Bears in a must-win, win.
JAC @ TEN - Both teams with problems.
HOU @ IND - Should be close, but I think having Pagano there turns this into a near playoff frenzy of a game.
CAR @ NO - Two of the best teams not in the playoffs. Saints at home.
PHI @ NYG - The Giants are playing horrible, and Vick may be looking to rejuvinate things, but the Giants must win to have any shot.
CLE @ PIT - After winning 3 of 4, Browns now lost 3 in a row.
KC @ DEN - Denver win means a bye.
GB @ MIN - Near playoff game, with Packers playing for needed bye to rest players. Look for AP to break 2000.
MIA @ NE - Pats flat last week, but will win here.
OAK @ SD - Last win before much needed house cleaning.
ARI @ SF - SF must win, and will. But will Alex Smith see playing time?
STL @ SEA - StL is rather tough and won't roll over, but Seattle on fire.
DAL @ WSH - Winner takes all, and how fitting. Cowboys more tools, but Skins inspired and on a roll.

Biggest injuries leading to the post season, and quick changes after season's end in another post.