Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > The Clinic

The Clinic The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Old 12-26-12, 21:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joachim View Post
Because he didn't like the confidentiality clause that required him to check before speaking to the media.

There are several ways you can look at that. One of which is that you'd be crazy not to have some sort of control over what gets released and by whom. If you look at what they do and how judgements are made you can see why. These things are rarely black and white. They are something that is open to interpretation.

Its much the same as the common misconception over drugs testing. You don't just feed a sample into a machine and get a yes/no answer.

Like everyone else, I understand the need for transparency in the light of the alleged corruption at the UCI, but these are not straightforward issues.
Give it a rest. Implying there would be no control over what was released by whom without a draconian confidentiality agreement is a strawman.

Ashenden signed the previous agreement covering confidentiality for individual athletes. He also continues to be bound by WADAs confidentiality agreement. The new agreement required by the lab that holds the UCI biopass contract was designed to prevent scientists speaking about the program in general terms. For example it would probably prevent Ashenden from commenting on unusual gaps in profiles if he observed them.
Old 12-26-12, 21:34
Banned

There are nine people on that panel. They have to have some sort of consensus. What kind of credibility would they have if a dispute gets played out in the media. Get real.
Old 12-26-12, 21:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinvickers View Post
So go after Contador (the cheat) and UCI (the enablers).

Simple, surely?
We are on the same line.
Quote:
There are nine people on that panel. They have to have some sort of consensus. What kind of credibility would they have if a dispute gets played out in the media. Get real.
The UCI is not credible, wake up. Ashenden quit for a reason.
Old 12-26-12, 21:41

Quote:
Other anti doping agencies get by with narrower confidentiality agreements, their disputes are not played out in the media. Get real yourself.
Old 12-26-12, 21:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregga View Post
From Wiggins' book :
- average power at threshold 450w
- weight 69,5 kg

6,5W/kg

Not normal.
You know, I went fishing the other day, and I caught a fish. This big, it was. My mate was pretty impressed. He believed it too, so when I told another mate, I exaggerated a bit and I made out it wasn't just that but this big. True story.

You know before every boxing fight, both fighters always, without fail, come out with the following - 'I'm the best shape of my life, hitting harder than ever, I can't be beaten, I'm a monster". Every single time. Wonder why they do that?

People talk a lot of s***. Sometimes to make out they're better than they are. Sometimes to make themselves sound good in a book they want to sell. Sometimes to try to get in the mind of an opponent who might be listening. God knows, if I was a cyclist trying to win a GT next year, I'd be quoting all sorts of power stats I'm capable of knocking out. It would have the opposition riding for 2nd place before I'd even hit the start line.

Lots of people around here think Wiggins and Rogers talk a lot of s***. They don't believe a word they say. Apart from when they're stat checking their own power files. Very strange.

Of course, I'd love to see some sort of evidence to show that they aren't talking s***.
Old 12-26-12, 22:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrotha View Post
I think Wiggins dopes, but if he were clean, I can't think of anything he could do to prove it.
24/7 surveillance with live filming.

Unfortunately I don't think anyone will ever agree to that, regardless of whether they are clean or not.
Old 12-26-12, 22:07

@ martinvickers - minor point, but Armstrong often did not know what his rivals were up to, and was paranoid about it. In the book I recall that he at times convinced himself that rivals, including Hamilton, were "on some new shiit" (implying some as yet unknown technique) and took action. Hence the anecdote with Hamilton getting a letter from Hein Verbruggen and confronting Armstrong about it.

Hamilton does emphasise, though, that Armstrong was particularly obsessive about training/equipment.
Old 12-26-12, 22:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehog View Post
Good post, Hog.

Such a short memory in some people.
Old 12-26-12, 22:13

Quote:
In your world 9 experts agreeing on everything is credible.

In my world, that's called a whitewash.
Old 12-26-12, 23:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by taiwan View Post
@ martinvickers - minor point, but Armstrong often did not know what his rivals were up to, and was paranoid about it. In the book I recall that he at times convinced himself that rivals, including Hamilton, were "on some new shiit" (implying some as yet unknown technique) and took action. Hence the anecdote with Hamilton getting a letter from Hein Verbruggen and confronting Armstrong about it.

Hamilton does emphasise, though, that Armstrong was particularly obsessive about training/equipment.
In a way, that's my point- I read that as Armstrong DID know the most up to date techniques - and he knew it precisely because of his paranoic need to know more. He was on a constant hair trigger for the next big thing.

Riis, and other, just didn't seem as obsessive.