Caffiene Withdrawal - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Form & Fitness > General

Old 12-20-12, 11:37

Default Caffiene Withdrawal

Anyone else suffered from this? I tried cold turkey a while ago and got the worst headaches I've ever had, trying to just reduce gradually this time and switching to teas and herbal teas. I must be quite affected by caffeine as I only tend to drink 2-3 cups per day max.
Old 12-20-12, 20:00

caffiene withdrawl trouble is fairly common, symptoms include bad headache, migraine, and flu-like pain.

Just cut-back slowly - going 'cold turkey' is looking for trouble.

Jay Kosta
Endwell NY USA
Old 12-21-12, 10:14

Thanks for the replies guys. I must be quite susceptible to caffeine because I only have/used to have 2-3 cups of espresso coffee and maybe couple cups of tea. I've switched to green tea which has about half as much caffeine as coffee. It was about two months ago when I went cold turkey and the headache was hell, like my brain was being hit with a sledgehammer. Also I'm off work at the moment so it's easier to manage.
Old 12-21-12, 14:38

"Withdrawl" symtoms are really of the mind . If you imagine there is a "withdrawl" to experince .... you will.

I go with , or without coffee for long periods of time without any "effects" as I simply don't feed the belief of "addiction" and "withdrawl" .

It's largely a mass conditioned belief of "addiction". We keep repeating that there is addiction so many times we beleive it to be in literally every aspect of our lives. Do question it ! Change it as you wish
Old 12-21-12, 16:27

Lostintime- not sure I agree entirely, I know psychology is a powerful thing but when I've quit cold turkey in the past I wish I could have 'imagined' the headaches away purely by not believing in withdrawals!
Old 12-26-12, 10:01

I drink 2-3 cups a day. I've tried to give it up cold turkey and had the same problem with headaches. It's physiological, definitely not in the mind. I did get it down to 1 cup per day once but then I really do enjoy a coffee after a ride and I'm not sure that my intake is doing me any harm?
Old 12-27-12, 02:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostintime View Post
"Withdrawl" symtoms are really of the mind . If you imagine there is a "withdrawl" to experince .... you will.

I go with , or without coffee for long periods of time without any "effects" as I simply don't feed the belief of "addiction" and "withdrawl" .

It's largely a mass conditioned belief of "addiction". We keep repeating that there is addiction so many times we beleive it to be in literally every aspect of our lives. Do question it ! Change it as you wish
This post must be the most ridiculous thing I've read in a long time.
Old 12-27-12, 08:37
Banned

I've only managed to give the stuff up once, in 2007, whilst preparing for Paris-Brest-Paris.

On the first night of the ride it was freezing cold and ****ing with rain, people were already quitting the event, and the forecast foretold 60 hours of non-stop misery. At about 3am, I stopped by a café that was handing out coffees. Nothing special, just a tiny paper cup of instant coffee.

They might as well have just given me a massive toke on a crack pipe.

It's a strong drug.
Old 12-27-12, 08:52

You know, I'm not certain what's up with the withdraw pains.
I love coffee and drink about 3 12oz coffees a day but sometimes
I go for several days with out it, for no real reason I should add.

I notice that about 1 out of every 3 or 4 prolonged periods of no
coffee I get the withdraw hard. Otherwise, I just don't get it. Strange.
Old 12-27-12, 09:26
Banned

I used to be able to drink coffee and go straight to sleep afterwards. Now, if I have a coffee after 5pm I won't get to sleep before 1am.

I can't drink much alcohol either, these days