Who will win 2013 GIRO? - Page 58 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

View Poll Results: Who will win 2013 GIRO?
Nibali 90 32.03%
Rodriguez 29 10.32%
Hesjedal 16 5.69%
Basso 9 3.20%
Wiggins 106 37.72%
Scarponi 2 0.71%
Others 29 10.32%
Voters: 281. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #571  
Old 12-28-12, 12:07
Dekker_Tifosi's Avatar
Dekker_Tifosi Dekker_Tifosi is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Roermond, the Netherlands
Posts: 18,265
Send a message via MSN to Dekker_Tifosi
Default

And I don't think he can only do little improvement compared to last year. But what the youngest said he has to improve a lot over the vuelta 2012 to win.

He has to be back at very best level, like the La Punt 2010 level of climbing, combined with the 2012/2011 level of time trialling... May might just come too early for that. But we'll see.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by BYOP88 View Post
Great to see that Porte has rediscovered his 2010/11 climbing form. Hope he can keep it for the rest of the Tour and year.
Reply With Quote
  #572  
Old 12-28-12, 12:09
cineteq's Avatar
cineteq cineteq is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 6,337
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferminal View Post
So he finished 11 minutes behind the guy who came 2nd in the Giro...The performances of both bolded riders mean nothing.
You can twist it anyway you like, but you know what I mean. I really question the seriousness of your answer when you said that it meant nothing.
__________________
Quote:
Ban team radios!
Reply With Quote
  #573  
Old 12-28-12, 12:09
Leendert82 Leendert82 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 61
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferminal View Post
Whilst a few people were confident in Hesjedal, he was quite a large outsider. I think Gesink 2013 is comparable, except coming up against Wiggins/Nibali/Hesjedal is far more difficult.



So he finished 11 minutes behind the guy who came 2nd in the Giro...

The performances of both bolded riders mean nothing.
I agree that Rodriquez was better in the Vuelta last year, however he had an optimal preperation for it and was in the form of his life, plus the Vuelta was made for the likes of Contador, Valverde and Rodriguez with the short and steep climbs.
Looking at Gesink he had a far from ideal preparation, he fell in the Tour and had to recover from that and he had to learn how to walk again earlier in the season and due to this, his legs did not had the strength it needed to perform at his best.
Reply With Quote
  #574  
Old 12-28-12, 12:24
movingtarget movingtarget is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 4,163
Default

I think Gesink has to be considered especially if Wiggins can't repeat his Tour form. His TT is good in comparison to Rodriguez, Nibali and Ryder. But he has to find some consistency with his climbing. He often drops time on stages where it isn't expected. Rodriguez used to be the same but is showing much more consistency lately.
Reply With Quote
  #575  
Old 12-28-12, 12:27
theyoungest theyoungest is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 11,892
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leendert82 View Post
When you are a contender for a Podium your also a contender for the Victory imo.
Im sure you did not think that Hesjedal was a contender for victory last year as well, and yet he won.
Actually, I did think Hesjedal would contend, certainly for the podium, if not for the win. That's why I took him on my CQ team last year, as soon as I read he would be doing the Giro.

You're not the only one to underrate Hesjedal, Gesink himself does so as well. He seems to think that if Hesjedal can win the Giro, so can he. But Hesjedal has something which Gesink has never shown: amazing recovery in the third week.

Quote:
Gesink had a for him poor 2011 and 2012 due to various reasons (2011 - Loss of his father in race crash and fall in the Tour, 2012 crash late 2011 and fall in the Tour)
However still within these so called poor years he still managed to get good results:
2011:
Win of Tour of Oman
2nd at Tirreno-Adriatico
3rd in Vuelta al Pais Vasco aka. Tour of the basque country
2nd at GP de Québec (behind unbeatable Gilbert)
2012:
Win at Tour California
4th Tour of Switzerland
6th Vuelta Espania
Of course, I know all of these results, and actually I think most Dutchies underrate the guy (except on this forum, strangely enough). But mostly he's been climbing very averagely and saving his race by an excellent time trial.

Look at how he climbed in Suisse 2010, or the Vuelta 2009. That's a level or two above what we've seen from him the last few years.
Reply With Quote
  #576  
Old 12-28-12, 12:34
Ferminal Ferminal is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 16,383
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leendert82 View Post
I agree that Rodriquez was better in the Vuelta last year, however he had an optimal preperation for it and was in the form of his life, plus the Vuelta was made for the likes of Contador, Valverde and Rodriguez with the short and steep climbs.
Looking at Gesink he had a far from ideal preparation, he fell in the Tour and had to recover from that and he had to learn how to walk again earlier in the season and due to this, his legs did not had the strength it needed to perform at his best.
All we can take out of Gesink's Vuelta is that he can still put a 3 week performance together. Form/fitness wise he was well off his best so it's impossible to translate his Vuelta 2012 placing into a full form GT placing. You cannot say that he has no chance in the Giro because he was well back in the Vuelta, or on the other hand, that his Vuelta performance accounting for his lack of fitness is actually that of a GT winner.

Last edited by Ferminal; 12-28-12 at 12:38.
Reply With Quote
  #577  
Old 12-28-12, 12:37
Leendert82 Leendert82 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 61
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by theyoungest View Post
Actually, I did think Hesjedal would contend, certainly for the podium, if not for the win. That's why I took him on my CQ team last year, as soon as I read he would be doing the Giro.

You're not the only one to underrate Hesjedal, Gesink himself does so as well. He seems to think that if Hesjedal can win the Giro, so can he. But Hesjedal has something which Gesink has never shown: amazing recovery in the third week.


Of course, I know all of these results, and actually I think most Dutchies underrate the guy (except on this forum, strangely enough). But mostly he's been climbing very averagely and saving his race by an excellent time trial.

Look at how he climbed in Suisse 2010, or the Vuelta 2009. That's a level or two above what we've seen from him the last few years.
I agree with you on that, Gesink his focus switched from a pure climber to try and be an allrounder. (remember that he was leading the tour of Suisse but he lost everything in the last time trial - even to Frank Sleck).
His Time Trialing has improved and indeed his climbing has reduced a bit. However it is not as bad as you say, otherwise you cant be on the podium on the Tirreno and Tour the Basque plus 4th in Tour of Suisse and win at Oman and California both by winning on a mountain stage.
I think that if nothing goes wrong with Gesink in 2013 we shall see a very strong contender and even a favorite next to Nibali and Wiggins. Who shall win the Giro is up to the form at that time.

About Hesjedal, It did surprise me on his performance as I did not know he was that good. However he did not outshine anybody in the Giro last year and won by batteling his way through the mountain stages and hitting it right at the last time trial
Reply With Quote
  #578  
Old 12-28-12, 12:41
Leendert82 Leendert82 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 61
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferminal View Post
All we can take out of Gesink's Vuelta is that he can still put a 3 week performance together. Form/fitness wise he was well off his best so it's impossible to translate his Vuelta 2012 placing into a full form GT placing. You cannot say that he has no chance in the Giro because he was well back in the Vuelta, or on the other hand, that his Vuelta performance accounting for his lack of fitness is actually that of a GT winner.
Only time will tell whether he will make the progress his needs to be a GT Winner. I think he has the potential and think that the Giro in 2013 is a good chance for him to go for it. Again, beating a Wiggins in form or last season will be hard. However I think that if Wiggins did not have Froome in the Tour he would not be as strong, specially not if Froome was riding for a different team.
Reply With Quote
  #579  
Old 12-28-12, 12:43
Ryo Hazuki's Avatar
Ryo Hazuki Ryo Hazuki is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 14,097
Default

henao will be leader in the vuelta. but still let's hope wiggins will fail quick enough
Reply With Quote
  #580  
Old 12-28-12, 12:52
theyoungest theyoungest is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 11,892
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leendert82 View Post
I agree with you on that, Gesink his focus switched from a pure climber to try and be an allrounder. (remember that he was leading the tour of Suisse but he lost everything in the last time trial - even to Frank Sleck).
His Time Trialing has improved and indeed his climbing has reduced a bit. However it is not as bad as you say, otherwise you cant be on the podium on the Tirreno and Tour the Basque plus 4th in Tour of Suisse and win at Oman and California both by winning on a mountain stage.
The Tirreno and Basque podiums were both due to holding on in the climbs (or being dropped) and strong time trialing. Oman and California were strong climbing performances... but against what opposition? And Gesink is usually very good in a race where there's little battling for position ahead of the climbs, of course you can't get much better than Oman or California in that regard.

Put Gesink on an ergometer and he'll beat Nibali 9 times out of 10... but road racing is a different story.

Quote:
About Hesjedal, It did surprise me on his performance as I did not know he was that good. However he did not outshine anybody in the Giro last year and won by batteling his way through the mountain stages and hitting it right at the last time trial
I suggest you re-watch some stages. In the final week, he was simply the best climber of the Giro.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 16:04.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2006 - 2009 Future Publishing Limited. All rights reserved. Future Publishing Limited is part of the Future plc group. Future Publishing Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with company registration number 2008885 whose registered office is at Beauford Court 30 Monmouth Street Bath, UK BA1 2BW England.