The Sky-Con-O-Meter. Predictions on how much more ridiculous they can get - Page 73 - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Road > The Clinic

The Clinic The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Old 12-28-12, 10:55
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehog View Post
Men's 200m stood from 1972 until 2000. Men's 800m stood from 1981 until around 2006.
A couple of minor corrections...

Mennea's 200m WR lasted from 1979 to 1996 (Michael Johnson). Prior to that it had lasted since the altitude of Mexico in 1968.

Coe's 1981 800m WR lasted until 1997 (Wilson Kipketer). The new WR is still only 0.7s faster than Coe's record, which shows how far ahead of the game Coe was in terms of talent/coaching/doping (take your pick!) Coaching is my guess. As the saying went at the time: "If Ovett had been coached by Coe's Dad, he'd have been unbeatable."
Old 12-28-12, 10:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinvickers View Post
Noth this years 1500m were 'dodgy' and everyone in the sport 'knows' it - although proving it is another thing. On the other hand, despite his brilliance and red flag times, Bolt and Rudisha are not viewed as suspiciously - they're broadly (though not universally) considered simply a freak of nature.
Why would anyone view.makhloufi as suspicious but not bolt? Makhloufi iis winning races but he isn't breaking the world record or anything while bolt has created a new space the size of 10 world records where only he is allowed to post times in. I get that in 1500 the records don't necessarily come with a top performance because the early pace might not suffice, but still i don't see what Makhloufi has done to ride eyebrows that bolt has not.
If there's a 1% suspicion or doubt that a team is working with certain doctors, then they shouldn't be invited to the Tour de France - as simple as that.
journalist with integrity.
Old 12-28-12, 11:01
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphabet View Post
Basso, doped or clean, is (or at least was) an enormous talent, one of the best GT riders in the peloton. Far better than Porte or Rogers, at any rate. Even at 35, Porte should not be able to put him into serious difficulty.
It would be interesting to see what Basso would do against Porte in the Tour without having ridden the Giro. The Giro reduced Berto to an also-ran in the 2011 Tour, so it would presumably have slowed up Basso by a fair amount in this year's Tour.

Besides, both Porte and Rogers only put Basso et al into difficulty by riding a "short" stage. The went hard for a while then sat up and coasted home, leaving the Big Dogs to bark on their own to the finish.
Old 12-28-12, 12:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by sideshadow View Post
That article is mostly rubbish though. Who ever heard of peaking for a big race?

Close to every single athlete in the world peaks for the Olympics above all else..
Old 12-28-12, 12:37

@Froome19

Yeah sorry. I read the sources and it looks fishy, tried to delete my post before it spread further, but you saw it, haha.
Old 12-28-12, 12:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Froome19 View Post
That article is mostly rubbish though. Who ever heard of peaking for a big race?
I think we heard that before. Regardless whether the article is rubbish or not, what would you call Wiggins' peaking all year long?
Old 12-28-12, 12:43
Banned

A champion
Old 12-28-12, 13:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by cineteq View Post
I think we heard that before. Regardless whether the article is rubbish or not, what would you call Wiggins' peaking all year long?
Unusual if not suspect..

But then again I believe that Kerrison's techniques can produce such an effect.

And @sideshadow no worries..
Old 12-28-12, 13:15
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hitch View Post
Why would anyone view.makhloufi as suspicious but not bolt? Makhloufi iis winning races but he isn't breaking the world record or anything while bolt has created a new space the size of 10 world records where only he is allowed to post times in. I get that in 1500 the records don't necessarily come with a top performance because the early pace might not suffice, but still i don't see what Makhloufi has done to ride eyebrows that bolt has not.
Bolt has been a phenome since his junior days. He is, as sprinters go, a physical freak - his length and stride means he generally runs 100m in 41 strides, as opposed to almost all his opposition running off 44. He's just physically different.

Now Blake? He's already had a 'minor' ping, and I have concerns about the paucity of testing in jamacian athletics generally - though that's not blake's fault. And for the record, I'll be disappointed if Blake pings again, because he seems a good, fun, humble guy.

Sociopathy is not always equal to cheat.

Makhloufi suffers to an extent from being seen as the next Rashid Ramzi - in addition, he clearly got a compliant doctor to write balderdash to get his original 1500m expulsion overturned after his 800m dropout. That alone is very worrying.

But in a sense, I'm not saying he dopes - I'm saying that large parts of the 'athletics world' suspect it. not fans, but journos and athletes. I had a discussion with a couple recently who are both retired top tier athletes -and frankly, they're certain of it - might be right, might be wrong, but my point is the 'industry insiders' tend to have quite a lot of inside knowledge on it - to be fair, they also tend to gossip like old soap opera ladies...
Old 12-28-12, 15:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinvickers View Post
Bolt has been a phenome since his junior days. He is, as sprinters go, a physical freak - his length and stride means he generally runs 100m in 41 strides, as opposed to almost all his opposition running off 44. He's just physically different.
Even now American pro-riders, even those who are fervently and rabidly anti-Lance admit Lance was a phenomenon and certainly had a boatload of talent. I certainly believe this, I think Lance is just Dope is emotional exaggeration.*

But this shows the one thing does not exclude the other thing. In fact I'm convinced doping a thoroughbred race horse can create a race-cheetah

* Lance is also a blight on the sport, a general bad person and needed to be exposed. Seeing his latent talent does not mean this all of a sudden makes it better.