2013 Nordic Skiing/Biathlon Thread - Page 6 - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Cafe > General

General Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Old 12-15-12, 19:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by maltiv View Post
Skiing times from today:

1. Miriam Gössner
2. Kaisa Makarainen +44,1
3. Tora Berger +1:13,3
4. Andrea Henkel +1:17,6
5. Synnøve Solemdal +1:24,0
6. Olena Pidhrushna +1:31,8
7. Magdalena Gwizdon +1:33,3
8. Anais Bescond +1:37,4
9. Marie Dorin Habert +1:39,2
10. Gabriela Soukalova +1:42,4

Insanity...Mäkarainen isn't exactly slow either, so to beat her by 44 seconds is just out of this world. I'm sure Gössner could have challenged Bjørgen.
She was fast for sure, but Kaisa and Tora got stuck in traffic on several of their loops. There is also the added effect of racing for the win, compared to racing for a top ten. I would never bet against Bjørgen, if she is any where near her peak.
Old 12-16-12, 23:10

Interesting changes to the TdS schedule.

Quote:
Oberhof, 3/4 km F individual start

Oberhof, 9/15 km C pursuit

Val Müstair sprint F

Cortina-Toblach 15/35 km F pursuit

Toblach 3/5 km C individual start

Val Di Fiemme 10/15 km C mass start

Val Di Fiemme 9/9 km F pursuit (Alpe Cermis)
Removing one of the sprints and bonus heavy mass starts is bad news for the puncheurs and moving the 35k pursuit to stage 4 will probably make the first 3 stages (including the single sprint) almost irrelevant. I would expect the field to come together on that one, as time gaps will be much smaller than usual. I don't see anyone opening up a huge lead in the short classical individual start or the shortened (meaning less sprints for bonus seconds) classical mass start, which was already less decisive last year, following rule changes (moving the IM sprint to the top of a hill, bonus secs for the top 10 rather than top 3) presumably put in place to prevent Northug and Cologna from going 1-2 in all 6 sprints and leaving everyone else in the dust overall. For the first time in 3 years, Cologna will be tested on Alpe Cermis.

This should be a climber's Tour , but the importance of the classical stages in Toblach and VDF could leave strong climbers like Hellner and Manificat out of contention on the final day of the race. Lukas Bauer would be the overwhelming favourite if he was a couple of years younger. The race looks like it was designed by the Czech ski federation.

I will be hugely impressed if Petter wins it.
Old 12-17-12, 09:41

i have a feeling that cologna will again come on the top at the tds...with legkov perhaps wedging in between him and northug...

cologna looked very imposing at the 3-day alpen cup in st. ulrich am pillersee. 3 races 3 poidiums, destroying everyone in a 10k individual skate.
Old 12-18-12, 19:29

Cologna will probably own it again.

I hope the 35km race will be as good as usual even though they've moved it, or perhaps even better. It's usually my favorite stage.
Old 12-22-12, 23:30

Evi Sachenbacher-Stehle has put the poor ski times at Pokljuka behind her and won the Deutschlandpokal sprint at Ruhpolding today. Nevertheless, while these national Cup races are often used as qualifiers for them, it is already confirmed that Evi will not play a part in the two home World Cup events upcoming in Oberhof and Ruhpolding, as she will be rotated back onto IBU-Cup duties. She won with one penalty, finishing ahead of Karolin Horchler (younger sister of Nadine) and Maren Hammerschmidt (who has been rotating in and out of the World Cup team herself). I haven't seen the shooting records other than that Evi had one penalty as this was reported, however. Most interesting, however, is that the junior women raced the same course as this, and 18-year-old Franziska Preuß won her race in a time that was 0,8" better than Hammerschmidt's podium time. Also notably, the race saw the first return to action of Kathrin Lang (née Hitzer), who has been talking at length with other competitors such as Anastasiya Kuzmina about the balance of sporting career and motherhood. She finished 9th. In the Juniors there was also Anna Neuner, younger sister of Magdalena.

The men's race was interesting in that it was so tight. Again, the juniors covered the same course as the elite, and the top 10 times were separated by under 30 seconds. The best time was from 22-year-old Hannes Schandl, but less than a second ahead of 18-year-old prodigy Philipp Horn, with a 19-year-old Roman Rees just 2 seconds behind. Of the top 10, 7 are under 21, 5 under 20. Only former World Cup competitor Alexander Wolf in 10th breaks up the parade of youthful hopefuls.

Forever tête de la course.
Old 12-23-12, 13:53

this could be a big news...

if i read it right, tv2.no just reported that bjoergen could be out of the tds. she had some dangerous heart arrhythmia and was check to a hospital briefly.

the norge national team doctor thinks it could be serious enough so that she will have a pacer/monitor placed on her.

this is a sad news as i was anticipating a particularly feisty racing with justyna given the other news (see the clinic) tv2.no dug up on kowalczyk.
Old 12-23-12, 17:29

She won't be participating if I'm reading the articles correctly.

Johaug ftw.
Old 12-23-12, 17:39

I think they should remove the prologue from TdS and add an extra longer (perhaps skiathlon) before the Cortina-Toblasch stage which is a lovely route.
Old 12-28-12, 14:44

TDS to start tomorrow. Have not done my homework properly, tbh. Hopefully it'l be a tight race.

Any links to livestreams?
Old 12-29-12, 09:13

So they've removed one of the sprint stages this year? Think it gives Johaug a chance?