For the "pedaling technique doesn't matter crowd" - Page 71 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Form & Fitness > General

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #701  
Old 12-28-12, 04:09
Tapeworm Tapeworm is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 527
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankDay View Post
...Olympic champion done on the iCranks system...

...This is the area where I think she has the greatest potential to see improvement...
And the jokes keep coming...
  #702  
Old 12-28-12, 04:14
BroDeal's Avatar
BroDeal BroDeal is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Above 5000 feet
Posts: 12,889
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankDay View Post
Here is a pedaling analysis of an Olympic champion done on the iCranks system. I don't believe this rider is PowerCranks trained...
Not PowerCranks trained. Instead she spent her time doing useful training.
__________________
"Listen, my son. Trust no one! You can count on no one but yourself. Improve your skills, son. Harden your body. Become a number one man. Do not ever let anyone beat you!" -- Gekitotsu! Satsujin ken
  #703  
Old 12-28-12, 05:22
FrankDay FrankDay is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: N. California
Posts: 2,500
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachFergie View Post
Improve what?
Really, you had to ask that question? I take it you (and some of the others who have had nothing to say) see absolutely no useful information coming from that data? Since the total power being generated is also equal to the average power generated around the entire pedal circle I guess trying to figure out how to improve the average power generated around the circle is a silly exercise to those who think technique unimportant. I guess we will have to differ as to whether such information could be useful.

Also, I take it you have no comment as to what is happening on the backstroke as the power changed. As they say, ignorance is bliss.
__________________
Life is short, both reading my posts and training with PowerCranks will make it seem longer
  #704  
Old 12-28-12, 05:36
CoachFergie's Avatar
CoachFergie CoachFergie is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand
Posts: 2,174
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankDay View Post
Really, you had to ask that question?
Oh yeah I went there!

Quote:
I take it you (and some of the others who have had nothing to say) see absolutely no useful information coming from that data? Since the total power being generated is also equal to the average power generated around the entire pedal circle I guess trying to figure out how to improve the average power generated around the circle is a silly exercise to those who think technique unimportant. I guess we will have to differ as to whether such information could be useful.
Knowing where the power is applied around the pedal stroke has been studied for the last 30 years and has added very little to the improvement of cycling fitness compared to research on training methods, recovery, nutrition and psychology.

Quote:
Also, I take it you have no comment as to what is happening on the backstroke as the power changed.
n=1 so pretty irrelevant. Do some research with a decent sample size and get back to us!
__________________
Hamish Ferguson
http://coachfergblog.blogspot.co.nz/

Power Meters like Powercranks don't improve performance one bit. But at least with a Power Meter you can see yourself not improving because of it
  #705  
Old 12-28-12, 21:29
coapman coapman is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 611
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankDay View Post

2. She is doing essentially no work across the top. This is the area where I think she has the greatest potential to see improvement.

Let's say, she uses every possible means of improving her across the top torque, what percentage of 3 o'c torque could she expect to apply at 12. You have the powermeters now and should be able to answer that question
  #706  
Old 12-29-12, 00:34
FrankDay FrankDay is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: N. California
Posts: 2,500
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by coapman View Post
Let's say, she uses every possible means of improving her across the top torque, what percentage of 3 o'c torque could she expect to apply at 12. You have the powermeters now and should be able to answer that question
Well, according to you she should be able to apply 100% of the torque at 12 o'clock that she does at 3 o'clock. My guess is that it would take years for her to develop that ability without lowering the torque seen at 3 o'clock. The reason for this is it takes time for the CV system to adapt to the increased metabolic load such a pattern would demand. One thing I thought looked quite impressive in her pattern is at power she seemed to have a very constant torque from about 2 o'clock to 5 o'clock. If she just started her push 30º earlier I suspect she could easily improve that sustained maximum effort start at, say, 1 o'clock and continue to 5 o'clock. Bet that could be done in one season.
__________________
Life is short, both reading my posts and training with PowerCranks will make it seem longer
  #707  
Old 12-29-12, 01:40
coapman coapman is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 611
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankDay View Post
Well, according to you she should be able to apply 100% of the torque at 12 o'clock that she does at 3 o'clock. My guess is that it would take years for her to develop that ability without lowering the torque seen at 3 o'clock. The reason for this is it takes time for the CV system to adapt to the increased metabolic load such a pattern would demand. One thing I thought looked quite impressive in her pattern is at power she seemed to have a very constant torque from about 2 o'clock to 5 o'clock. If she just started her push 30 earlier I suspect she could easily improve that sustained maximum effort start at, say, 1 o'clock and continue to 5 o'clock. Bet that could be done in one season.

The earlier a natural pedaler starts the downstroke, the more of that power will be lost.
  #708  
Old 12-29-12, 04:54
CoachFergie's Avatar
CoachFergie CoachFergie is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand
Posts: 2,174
Default

Classic, you can just see that extra power coming from nothing

What vivid imaginations you both have.
__________________
Hamish Ferguson
http://coachfergblog.blogspot.co.nz/

Power Meters like Powercranks don't improve performance one bit. But at least with a Power Meter you can see yourself not improving because of it
  #709  
Old 12-29-12, 12:07
coapman coapman is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 611
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachFergie View Post
Classic, you can just see that extra power coming from nothing

What vivid imaginations you both have.


Extra power comes from muscles. Use your own imagination for a minute and have a look at the effectiveness and efficiency of your own power application. Your pedalling ignorance restricts your max force application to between 1 and 5 o'c and even more important to consider, what percentage of that applied force is converted into crank torque. Knowing how to make better use of your muscles means you can extend max force application from 11 to 5 o'c with 100% torque return from that force from 12 to 3 o'c. How is that for pedaling effectiveness and efficiency.
  #710  
Old 12-29-12, 16:51
CoachFergie's Avatar
CoachFergie CoachFergie is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand
Posts: 2,174
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by coapman View Post
Use your own imagination for a minute and have a look at the effectiveness and efficiency of your own power application.
I will stick to using the data gained from well performed studies rather than half baked assumptions from watching one person on videos from the 1950s.
__________________
Hamish Ferguson
http://coachfergblog.blogspot.co.nz/

Power Meters like Powercranks don't improve performance one bit. But at least with a Power Meter you can see yourself not improving because of it
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 17:40.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2006 - 2009 Future Publishing Limited. All rights reserved. Future Publishing Limited is part of the Future plc group. Future Publishing Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with company registration number 2008885 whose registered office is at Beauford Court 30 Monmouth Street Bath, UK BA1 2BW England.