For the "pedaling technique doesn't matter crowd" - Page 71 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Form & Fitness > General

Closed Thread

Old 12-28-12, 04:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankDay View Post
...Olympic champion done on the iCranks system...

...This is the area where I think she has the greatest potential to see improvement...
And the jokes keep coming...
Old 12-28-12, 04:14

Quote:
Here is a pedaling analysis of an Olympic champion done on the iCranks system. I don't believe this rider is PowerCranks trained...
Not PowerCranks trained. Instead she spent her time doing useful training.
Old 12-28-12, 05:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachFergie View Post
Improve what?
Really, you had to ask that question? I take it you (and some of the others who have had nothing to say) see absolutely no useful information coming from that data? Since the total power being generated is also equal to the average power generated around the entire pedal circle I guess trying to figure out how to improve the average power generated around the circle is a silly exercise to those who think technique unimportant. I guess we will have to differ as to whether such information could be useful.

Also, I take it you have no comment as to what is happening on the backstroke as the power changed. As they say, ignorance is bliss.
Old 12-28-12, 05:36

Quote:
Really, you had to ask that question?
Oh yeah I went there!

Quote:
I take it you (and some of the others who have had nothing to say) see absolutely no useful information coming from that data? Since the total power being generated is also equal to the average power generated around the entire pedal circle I guess trying to figure out how to improve the average power generated around the circle is a silly exercise to those who think technique unimportant. I guess we will have to differ as to whether such information could be useful.
Knowing where the power is applied around the pedal stroke has been studied for the last 30 years and has added very little to the improvement of cycling fitness compared to research on training methods, recovery, nutrition and psychology.

Quote:
Also, I take it you have no comment as to what is happening on the backstroke as the power changed.
n=1 so pretty irrelevant. Do some research with a decent sample size and get back to us!

Power Meters like Powercranks don't improve performance one bit. But at least with a Power Meter you can see yourself not improving because of it
Old 12-28-12, 21:29

Quote:

2. She is doing essentially no work across the top. This is the area where I think she has the greatest potential to see improvement.

Let's say, she uses every possible means of improving her across the top torque, what percentage of 3 o'c torque could she expect to apply at 12. You have the powermeters now and should be able to answer that question
Old 12-29-12, 00:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by coapman View Post
Let's say, she uses every possible means of improving her across the top torque, what percentage of 3 o'c torque could she expect to apply at 12. You have the powermeters now and should be able to answer that question
Well, according to you she should be able to apply 100% of the torque at 12 o'clock that she does at 3 o'clock. My guess is that it would take years for her to develop that ability without lowering the torque seen at 3 o'clock. The reason for this is it takes time for the CV system to adapt to the increased metabolic load such a pattern would demand. One thing I thought looked quite impressive in her pattern is at power she seemed to have a very constant torque from about 2 o'clock to 5 o'clock. If she just started her push 30º earlier I suspect she could easily improve that sustained maximum effort start at, say, 1 o'clock and continue to 5 o'clock. Bet that could be done in one season.
Old 12-29-12, 01:40

Quote:
Well, according to you she should be able to apply 100% of the torque at 12 o'clock that she does at 3 o'clock. My guess is that it would take years for her to develop that ability without lowering the torque seen at 3 o'clock. The reason for this is it takes time for the CV system to adapt to the increased metabolic load such a pattern would demand. One thing I thought looked quite impressive in her pattern is at power she seemed to have a very constant torque from about 2 o'clock to 5 o'clock. If she just started her push 30 earlier I suspect she could easily improve that sustained maximum effort start at, say, 1 o'clock and continue to 5 o'clock. Bet that could be done in one season.

The earlier a natural pedaler starts the downstroke, the more of that power will be lost.
Old 12-29-12, 04:54

Classic, you can just see that extra power coming from nothing

What vivid imaginations you both have.

Power Meters like Powercranks don't improve performance one bit. But at least with a Power Meter you can see yourself not improving because of it
Old 12-29-12, 12:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachFergie View Post
Classic, you can just see that extra power coming from nothing

What vivid imaginations you both have.

Extra power comes from muscles. Use your own imagination for a minute and have a look at the effectiveness and efficiency of your own power application. Your pedalling ignorance restricts your max force application to between 1 and 5 o'c and even more important to consider, what percentage of that applied force is converted into crank torque. Knowing how to make better use of your muscles means you can extend max force application from 11 to 5 o'c with 100% torque return from that force from 12 to 3 o'c. How is that for pedaling effectiveness and efficiency.
Old 12-29-12, 16:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by coapman View Post
Use your own imagination for a minute and have a look at the effectiveness and efficiency of your own power application.
I will stick to using the data gained from well performed studies rather than half baked assumptions from watching one person on videos from the 1950s.

Closed Thread