The your favorite car thread - Page 6 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Cafe > General

General Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Old 12-28-12, 16:47

Default Another NEVADA story.

Another Nevada story.

I got My 1st car while living in Reno in 1974. A 1966 Caprice Wagon with a 396 V8 and a 4-barrel carb. I left heading east on Interstate 80 and that was when the interstate didnít have entrance and exit ramps. The interstate would turn into a state highway then into a town road through town and back to state highway and then back into an interstateÖ So I was driving and going 115 miles per hour next to a Ford Galaxy and We were going back and forth for the few inches of lead. Fun. We were heading toward Lovelock Nevada and I was feeling hungry for breakfast so I waved the guy driving the Galaxy and I pulled into the diner. Afterwards I came out of the diner and started the Caprice and put it in reverse when I heard a loud metallic pop. It was scary enough so I turned it off and got out and took a look but didnít see anything. Then I got back in and started it up again, put it in reverse and as soon as I back up a few inches the right front wheel broke off at the spindle. Just a few miles earlier I was going 115 mph and if there wasnít an interstate which turned into a town road, I probably would not have stopped and that wheel may have fell off while going 115 mph at the age of 18. I waited for a few days for the Greyhound to deliver another spindle and the mechanic showed Me the crack, which was dirty for about half of it indicating the spindle, was previously cracked already, just waiting to go. True story.
Old 12-28-12, 16:57

That's a seriously great garage you have there Huges I need to work on my technical ability, because there are some serious gems out there which are very affordable once one can do a bit of self-repair.

Anyway, drove a VW Touareg today (3.0 diesel one). Never driven such a pointless car before. It drinks fuel by the gallons especially in town and it isn't going any faster because of it (0-100km/h in over 9 seconds and at highway speeds accelaration isn't special). Sure, it has low gearing, which I didn't try, but other than going off-road and towing big things I don't see the point. That's a car not going in my garage.
Old 12-28-12, 17:46

I also learned something new today.

Guess what car is the fastest around corners (think rather quick corners, not the slow speed fiddly stuff). Porsche 911 (997)? BMW M3? Maybe an Audi R8?

No, you guessed wrong. It's this:

A CitroŽn Xantia Activa. Yes, really. Thanks to active suspension, this car stays totally flat in corners, meaning the tires maintain a bigger contact patch with the road and the ride stays smooth even when driving fast.

The goal of CitroŽn was to build a comfy car that stayed comfortable in corners. At no time they were looking for performance, but in their solution, they created a car that, once it is at speed, can go faster than any other modern sports car.
Old 12-28-12, 19:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Januss View Post
Thanks, actually the black car is a '66 912, the 4 cyl. one. The red 914 has a 300 hp Subie WRX turbo motor in it, I just got it and am still working out the bugs (I bought it for just about what the conversion parts would cost) so there are some bugs.
The only 6 cylinder Porsche that I have is a 914/6 resto project, the 275th 914/6 that Porsche made. I will most likely be pushing retirement age when I get that one done. I hope I can still crawl into it by then.
Before you other guys judge me, I got a lot more bikes than cars.
Agree with Gregod ... awesome, Hugh. But your reply begs the question, what do you have in your stable of bikes?
Old 12-28-12, 20:01

Well here is one, technically I guess all the ones in the background are mine as well, but I don't want to keep them.

Proud member of the Clinic 1200
Old 12-28-12, 21:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by The GCW View Post
*snip for practicality by Parrulo*

Ford Pantera

This is when the Pantera and other Italian sports cars had Campagnolo wheels.

Ferrari / Campy wheel
Ducati on the back wall???

www.justcycling.myfastforum.org

Last edited by Parrulo; 12-29-12 at 01:46.
Old 12-28-12, 22:35

Jensen 1959:

Huge bonnet you say? Well, it needed some space for the engine.

Early version of the 541 from the front:

Last edited by Dazed and Confused; 12-28-12 at 22:42.
Old 12-28-12, 22:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Januss View Post
Well here is one, technically I guess all the ones in the background are mine as well, but I don't want to keep them.

Nice! The obvious next question was what do you do to be able to afford all your fine cars and bikes, but I think you've answered that
Old 12-28-12, 22:55

oh hell, expanding a bit. Two wheeler with an engine:

Norton Commando 850

Yes, the British used to be able to do a bit more than shifting currencies.
Old 12-29-12, 00:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by The GCW View Post
detomasso pantera

Ford Pantera

This is when the Pantera and other Italian sports cars had Campagnolo wheels.

Ferrari / Campy wheel
you can see part of a Bruce Canepa Motorsports license plate frame on the pantera. Bruce is a very interesting guy with a great car, particularly porsche, history.

Last edited by gregod; 12-29-12 at 01:29. Reason: fixed hot link