Wiggins - Hour Record - Page 8 - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Track > General

General From the kilo to the hour record, if it's on the velodrome it goes in here

Old 12-22-12, 20:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobbleStoner View Post
world cups and world championships you compete for your nation, 6-Days are kind of an old boys network where each race decides what sponsers get what riders, the riders will wear their trade team shorts, but not jerseys, and not always paired up with trade teammates, and Sky is not part of that network, so the Revolution series is the only one they can do as Team Sky, and they do them all.
I just hope Cav's move to OPQS will give him to opportunity to get back on the boards, him and Iljo would be unstoppable in the 6-days
I believe it was the track world cup event a couple of years ago where Britain fielded two teams.. one called GB and one called Team Sky.

Though the Team Sky one consisted of Vicky, Hoy rather than actually the riders from Team Sky.
Old 12-29-12, 03:31

Default lance's illustrious idea

From what I heard, he kept comparing his watts and speed on a time trial bike to the old-style bike record. Turns out he was way short of the speed needed. The track bike he was 'testing' wasn't round tubes anyway and his wheels had aero spokes. Some say it was just a publicity stunt. The talk switched to altitude, which was his best chance to get his speed near 50.

Maybe Wiggins can win the Giro and take the summer to train for the hour?
How about a tandem hour record with Cancellara?
Old 05-21-13, 09:14
Banned

He goes with TdF form he wins it easy, but that's the point of winning that?
Old 09-19-14, 13:41

Default Here we are again

Wiggins can probably still beat Jens with some heavy track training, especially now that the new rules are in place. Still not sure why Colby Pierce's 'legal bike' record of 49.8 was discounted (not his attempt on the Lotus, which is deemed illegal).
Jens smashed many expectations, but he has never been in the status of Wiggins, Cancellara, and Martin.
I'm guessing Wiggins could do 51.55, Cancellara 51.85, Martin 52.01.
I haven't seen Jens attempt yet. However, Wiggins is known for painting the line and with that many laps, he could ride much closer to 52 than either Cancellara or Martin riding at 52 (and missing most of their turns by a meter each time.) I have raced with a front disc and I know it takes much more concentration, esp. in the turns.
If Wiggins puts the number much higher, Cancellara may seek a higher altitude.
Old 09-19-14, 14:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by TShame View Post
.......... Still not sure why Colby Pierce's 'legal bike' record of 49.8 was discounted (not his attempt on the Lotus, which is deemed illegal).
Not sure of the timing but now riders attempting the UCI hour record must be using the biological passport program. Terrible rule as there are amateurs (in the UK) who believe they can break it.
Old 09-20-14, 04:57

Quote:
Wiggins can probably still beat Jens with some heavy track training, especially now that the new rules are in place. Still not sure why Colby Pierce's 'legal bike' record of 49.8 was discounted (not his attempt on the Lotus, which is deemed illegal).
Jens smashed many expectations, but he has never been in the status of Wiggins, Cancellara, and Martin.
I haven't seen Jens attempt yet. However, Wiggins is known for painting the line and with that many laps, he could ride much closer to 52 than either Cancellara or Martin riding at 52 (and missing most of their turns by a meter each time.) I have raced with a front disc and I know it takes much more concentration, esp. in the turns.
I don't understand why Boardman's 93 world record is diqualified.Seems like a legal bike/position.
Old 09-20-14, 20:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by simo1733 View Post
I don't understand why Boardman's 93 world record is diqualified.Seems like a legal bike/position.
Aero bars are too far past the front hub would be my guess.

http://www.photoshelter.com/img-get/...00/DSC0533.jpg

edit: also not a commercially available bike, not with that headtube/handlebar configuration.
Old 09-20-14, 22:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by twothirds View Post
Aero bars are too far past the front hub would be my guess.

http://www.photoshelter.com/img-get/...00/DSC0533.jpg

edit: also not a commercially available bike, not with that headtube/handlebar configuration.
Yet his pursuit record on same bike set up stood until 2011.
Old 09-21-14, 13:22

Quote:
i am reasonably sure that (when properly trained within the latest uci rules) wiggins' potential is at least 53 k and martins around 54 k. both imo have much bigger natural aerobic engines than jens...
Old 09-21-14, 14:40

Quote:
Boardman did 52.27 in 1993 with 410W. Wiggins went 445W for 66 minutes at the 2013 world's TT, and technology has moved on in the last 21 (!) years. 54km for Wiggins, close to 55km for Martin would be a more reasonable guess. Voigt wasn't even wearing a proper aero helmet