::::~ Wheelbuilders thread ~:::: - Page 73 - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Bikes & Gear > General

General Which tyres for Paris-Roubaix? Whose time trial bike is fastest? Suspension mountain bikes or singlespeeders? Talk equipment here.

Old 12-14-12, 13:31
Editor-in-chief

Default Edco hub

does anyone know where do I find the specs for this hubs? flange spacing etc...
Old 12-14-12, 13:43

You can go on Sapim website and they will give you directions on how to measure hub dimensions for wheel building purposes.
Old 12-14-12, 14:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euskadi View Post
does anyone know where do I find the specs for this hubs? flange spacing etc...
7900?

45mm flange diameter, 19mm ctr to flange right side..rear hub. LH 33mm I think.

38mm flange diameter, 35.5 ctr to flange front. Front from memory, I'm at home.
Old 12-14-12, 16:02

Google Spocalc
Old 12-16-12, 02:13

Default Going to Dura Ace 11 sp

Apologies if this is a dumb question but I'm not a wheel builder nor do I play one on TV. Also sorry if this has been covered elsewhere on the thread.

I am planning to transition from Dura Ace 10 sp to 11 sp and am nearly 100% sure that my current hub won't work. Question is: Can I have my wheel "re-hubbed" with a new compatible 11 sp hub and if so, is it worth it vs. buying new wheels (original cost of my current wheels was USD 650 for the pair)? Any other considerations?

Looking at the DT Swiss 240 hub and I like my current rims well enough.
Old 12-16-12, 15:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimono View Post
Apologies if this is a dumb question but I'm not a wheel builder nor do I play one on TV. Also sorry if this has been covered elsewhere on the thread.

I am planning to transition from Dura Ace 10 sp to 11 sp and am nearly 100% sure that my current hub won't work. Question is: Can I have my wheel "re-hubbed" with a new compatible 11 sp hub and if so, is it worth it vs. buying new wheels (original cost of my current wheels was USD 650 for the pair)? Any other considerations?

Depending on what hub you have, you may just have to change the freehub.
Old 12-16-12, 17:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by simo1733 View Post
Depending on what hub you have, you may just have to change the freehub.
Il like that idea a lot. Problem is these are Rol Wheels d'Huez model which uses a "proprietary design" hub. So I don't know if it's truly a proprietary freehub design or some OEM design like DT Swiss or whatever. Any ideas on how to ID the freehub and whether or not a replacement could be made? Thanks for any help
Old 12-17-12, 14:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimono View Post

Your 10s shimano freehub on the ROL wheel will NOT accept a 11s DA cogset.

If the ROL hub uses a DT FH body, you CAN replace with a 11s one..and axle end..may have to redish the wheel. If it's unique to that hub(I think it is) cannot convert it unless ROL decides to have one made(unlikely, IMHO).

DT hubs, like 350 or 240 are now being shipped with the DA 11s FH body.
Old 12-24-12, 22:23

Here's a wheelset I built using the Kinlin 23mm wide rims, BHS hubs and Sapim CX-Ray spokes. 20 front spokes laced radially, 24 rear spokes laced 2X both sides. Brass nipples. Weight came in at 1490 grams. I weigh 150lbs.

Old 12-29-12, 08:59

Smile New wheels for an OLD bike...?

Hi Wheelbuilders,

Am going to get back on the bike again with the goal of finishing a Sprint distance Triathlon by the end of 2013.

This means that I need to re-engineer slightly my old (but oh so reliable and comfy) steel framed clunker with a new set of wheels that will be ideal for training and also racing at this low level, ie: strong but lighter than the no-name, tough as old boots and lots-a-spokes ones I have been commuting on for the last few years.

Am looking at a set of Mavic Ksyrium's (or Velocity deep V road) but the issue I have is that my bike is prehistoric in that I still run tube shifters vice STI.

I gather I will have to have the wheels built by someone who can supply 7sp Shimano hubs (if indeed they can be obtained?) because I have no desire to upgrade to STI for a few races at the most.

Are there any other issues that I might come across and if anyone can help, where might be the best place in Melbourne to have these wheels built?

All help will be greatly appreciated,
Cheers