Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Old 12-08-12, 10:48

9,2 kms at 9,1% is borderline HC I think.
Old 12-08-12, 13:04
Administrator

the carnage amaro antunes produced on the são macário that day was legendary and very likely the best climbing performance from a portuguese u23 on the last decade(and he only was 19 or so back then), i remember reading he put over 2 minutes into the field on the climb itself!!!! shame valongo was so strong that year
Old 12-29-12, 10:22

bump...

I still had to finish my version of the 2013 tour de france.
I'm not really satisfied with the last few stages, as they seem to criss-cross a rather small region, but that is how it is in reality too.

Stage 17: Le Bourg d'Oisans - Embrun, 134km
A rolling stage that starts of with a 2nd category climb, but avoiding as much as possible any decent climb. The last 500m are at 4.5% uphill, and from 1.5 to 1km to go there is an 8% uphill drag, so probably not really something for the pure sprinters.

Stage 18: Embrun -Gap, 51km
A time trial with less elevation gain than the one in the real tour, but it makes up with some 15km extra. This time trial is not completely flat, as after 37km the col de la sentinelle has to be climbed.

Stage 19: Gap - Chorges, 165km
The penultimate stage will be the last deciding stage of the race. There's no mtf or high and difficult climbs, but it crosses the medium mountains around le lac de Serre-Ponçon. With no less than seven climbs and about 4000m elevation gain there are plenty of opportunities to take back lost time.

Included climbs are:
Col des Garcinets: 11,7km @ 4,6%, 1185m, 2nd category
Col des Fillys: 12,3km @ 5,2%, 1322m, 2nd category
Col Saint-Jean: 5,7km @ 4,2%, 1333m, 3rd category
Col de Pontis: 5,5km @ 9,2%, 1301m, 1st category
Montée de Boscodon: 11,6km @ 7,1%, 1621m, 1st category
Côte de Puy-Sanières: 6,2km @ 6.1%, 1165m, 3rd category
Côte de Saint-Apollinaire: 7km @ 7%, 1271m, 2nd category

Stage 20: Paris - Paris, will be the same as the one ASO designed.

Voilà
Old 01-16-13, 22:59

While this marks the end of the Volta, it also marks the end of my using mapmyride exclusively, as for a period now it has decided that I can't map anywhere in France, Italy, Germany, Spain, Belgium, Switzerland, Austria or the Netherlands, which is quite the problem for route designing.

Anyway, here is the end of my Volta, which is to all intents and purposes over anyhow.

Stage 10: Viseu - Viseu, 36,4km (ITT)

A pretty simple way to finish, and to return us to those halcyon days of every year before 2010, when the final stage was meaningful. The city of Viseu is one of the Volta's most loyal stomping grounds and has hosted a stage for each of the last ten editions, as well as stages of the GP CTT Correios and other Portuguese stage races. In accordance with this it seems fitting that it should play the role of final decider once again with this, a mid-to-long ITT.

The time trial itself is based almost entirely on the very similar Viseu ITTs that finished the 2003, 2005, 2007 and 2009 editions, won by Claus Michael Møller twice and Héctor Guerra twice (though Héctor's second win was later conferred to David Blanco after the Liberty Seguros positives that year). It is most similar to the 2009 time trial, which was mostly out-and-back with a starting and ending loop around the city ring road's many roundabouts. However, while that one featured the very gradual climb before turning left into Bassar and descending back into the city, this one continues past that turn and descends gradually towards Pousa Maria, before some slow grinding power uphill to Bassar. These are nothing like steep enough to take the balance of power away from the power rider, however, while the many roundabouts in the early and late stages will test people's acceleration skills, with many short bursts required.

And there you have it - a Volta that uses almost entirely loyal homes to the race, with only a couple of new hosts, and shows a bit more of what could be done with the terrain of Portugal.

Viseu:

Forever tête de la course.
Old 01-16-13, 23:24

Going to try to curb my verbosity, as it does lead to the amount of ideas I have for races vastly outnumbering the amount of posts I'm capable of making or willing to make.

Here's an attempt at a mixed route for a short stage race on the Continental calendar: the Tour de Slovénie. The terrain in Slovenia means that this is usually an interesting event with a really nice mix of levels in the field, while the views will remain stunning, as the natural beauty of Slovenia remains still a mostly undiscovered treasure.

Stage 1: Murska Sobota - Novo Mesto, 172km

Climbs:
Donačka Gora (cat.3) 1,7km @ 5,0%
Vrenska Gorca (cat.3) 2,1km @ 5,9%
Podsreda Sedlo (cat.3) 1,4km @ 8,3%

The first stage of the race is pretty much a flat stage, running from the storied city formerly known as Olsnitz and still harbouring a large Hungarian population in northeastern Slovenia to the picturesque riverside town of Novo Mesto, itself one of the oldest settlements in the region (despite the name that means "new town") and formerly known as Rudolfswerth. Through the stage we head through the city of Ptuj, which sponsored a team (Perutnina Ptuj) that has contributed to the careers of the likes of Robert Vrečer, Gregor Gazvoda, Jure Kocjan and Kristijan Koren. We go over a couple of climbs in the middle section of the stage, close to the Croatian border, but these are far enough out that the stage ought to finish with a sprint in Novo Mesto, although the run-in may catch some out, with a few corners in the last few kilometres.

Murska Sobota:

Novo Mesto:

Forever tête de la course.
Old 01-17-13, 00:02

Good idea to resurrect the thread.

I have an idea that I may get around to completing some time.

In short. 5 Tours of Switzerland.

Constraints:

1) only within the borders of the Confederation
2) using completely different climbs in every edition (opposite sides of 1 climb count as different climbs)
3) try to avoid using loops as much as possible

Right now I am somewhere around number 3 if the original "TdS under 2000 meters" is included.
Old 01-17-13, 07:50

I think Tracks4bikers is better than MapMyRide anyway. The profiles look much more realistic and easier to understand. Only drawback is the 200km limit, but you can bypass it with other programs like bikeroutetoaster.

Looking forward to that Tour of Slovenia of yours. It's certainly an appealing country for cyclists. Are you going to climb the Mangart?

Let me fetch the Deutschland Tour I drew a while ago.
Old 01-17-13, 08:02

I am going to copy Libertine's habit of including one stage per post, posting some pictures of the hosting towns. It's fitting, since this Tour of Germany is quite scenic.

This is going to be a ten-stage Deutschland Tour. Unlike the defunct one, this will take place entirely within German borders, with the exception of some 2kms in the middle of the Rossfeld climb where the riders will enter Austria.

Tour of Germany

Stage 1, Bremen-Münster

Cuz I live here and because it's considered the "bike capital of Germany". There are around 600,000 bicycles here, for a town of 280,000 inhabitants. And it's quite a nice town!

It might not have featured much in the Deutschland Tour, but it's even been the finish of a Giro d'Italia stage, won by none other than Super Mario: http://autobus.cyclingnews.com/road/...=stages/stage1

Bremen:

Münster:

Last edited by Descender; 01-17-13 at 08:05.
Old 01-17-13, 08:07

Stage 2, Münster-Altena

First important stage for GC. We move south towards the Sauerland mountains. The stage includes the climbs of Veserde, Wiblingswerde and Wixberg and a slight ascending finish in Altena, not far from its beautiful castle.

Altena

Last edited by Descender; 01-17-13 at 08:11.
Old 01-17-13, 08:18

Stage 3, Rennerod - Heidelberg (Königstuhl)

We continue moving south and this time we'll visit Germany's most beautiful town: Heidelberg.

The college town of Heidelberg is one of the few German cities of more than 100,000 inhabitants that was spared from allied bombing in WWII, due to an agreement between Nazi Germany and the UK according to which the Germans would leave Oxford and Cambridge be if the allies didn't touch Heidelberg.

The Königstuhl overlooks the whole city, and it has three separate sides. In this stage, I climb the hardest side first, then an easier one later to finish on top.

Königstuhl 1, 5kms at 9%.

Königstuhl 2, 10kms at 4%.

Rennerod

Heidelberg (Königstuhl)

Last edited by Descender; 01-17-13 at 10:09.