Top ten cyclists of all time which you have actually seen live - Page 3 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Old 12-29-12, 13:50

I don't know. But the Lepard team was in a hotel near mine in Serre Chevalier in 2011, between two mountain stages. I took some photos with Cancellara, the Schlecks, Gerdeman, Voigt and Monfort. And some autographs. By the way, they are all so 'small'. I am 187 cm and 83 kg and Spartacus looked like Chicken near me.
Old 12-29-12, 14:08

Top 8 (started watching approx year 2000)

1. Jan Ullrich - Favourite rider of all time, not much to say Wish I had got to see him win a GT though.

2. Haimar Zubeldia - Best carrot.

3. Lance Armstrong - Well it is an interesting story.

4. Ivan Basso - Only during his comeback (I hated him pre 2006 because he was a rival of Jan), but now I think he's great !

5. Carlos Sastre - Never thought he'd win a GT but that made it so much sweeter when he did!

6. Francisco Mancebo - Sickest head slant in all of pro cycling.

7. Andreas Kloden - I think he had the quality to win a GT, he doesn't seem to mind/care though, shame

8. Peter Sagan - Funnest cyclist.
Old 12-29-12, 15:01

Sella, Ricco, Bodrogi - Tour of Austria/Österreichische rundfahrt

Soler, Cunego, Di Luca, Armstrong, Klöden, Petacchi, Evans - Giro

wanna go to the 100. TDF, but it seems not gonna happen
When the spirits are low, when the day appears dark, when work becomes monotonous, when hope hardly seems worth having, just mount a bicycle and go out for a spin down the road, without thought on anything but the ride you are taking.
Arthur Conan Doyle
Old 12-29-12, 15:29

I really started to follow cycling in 2003, so I'll try to do my best for making up a list of my 10 best cyclist since that.

1. L.Armstrong, yes he doped, but the only cyclist in the history who never failed during his 7 objectives, TDF 1999 to 2005. 100%, nobody can say so.

2.Fabian Cancellara, never seen such a power from a cyclist, his palmares at his end of his carreer will be huge, but not as huge as he deserves because... He was too strong.

3.Alberto Contador, even when he's not the strongest rider during a race he left his print on it. Champion.

4.Philippe Gilbert, In 2011 he was just unbelievable, not sure he could get back at the same level anymore.

5.Tom Bonnen, probably one of the best palmares among the current riders. Several times he found the strenght for coming back after some difficult moments in his career, a great champion.

6.Paolo Bettini, he almost won all the classic he could, most of the time with a great style and he always staid simple and smiling, big champion.

7.Alejandro Valverde, probably one of the best palmares among the current riders And he also did well this year, after 2 years ban. Congrats for being back.

8.Alexandre Vinokourov, maybe he's hated by many people, but I have to include him in my list, a rider with such a panache and who managed to build up a big palmares along his career even if he rarely was the strongest one.

9.Cadel Evans, he got a TDF, world champion, he is regular even if I don't like the person and his style, I have to say he's very efficace.

10.Andy Shleck, Does he deserve to be on this list ? Yes, because I want to believe in him, and he could be bloody impressive...