Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #2181  
Old 12-29-12, 17:32
McLovin McLovin is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 594
Default

I know what a wall is. He said Wiggins lacks explosion. My reply was about that. Planche has last 500m with 16% or something. And Wiggins was right there with a Fleche winner.
Reply With Quote
  #2182  
Old 12-29-12, 17:37
Miburo's Avatar
Miburo Miburo is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,982
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLovin View Post
I know what a wall is. He said Wiggins lacks explosion. My reply was about that. Planche has last 500m with 16% or something. And Wiggins was right there with a Fleche winner.
That was after a climb of 6km.

Different, btw Evans was not great in that tour.

Let him in do that on a climb of 1km average 12% against the likes of purito and Contador. We'll see how far he'll go

Btw Contador should have won the FW evans won, he went too early because he didn't know the muur.
Reply With Quote
  #2183  
Old 12-29-12, 17:40
Miburo's Avatar
Miburo Miburo is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,982
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by airstream View Post
In my view guys most of you vastly overrate explosiveness itself. I sincerely don't know why maybe because you don't like Sky or prefer attacking cycling. Explosiveness really gives some advantage, but after 400-500 meters a rider hits necessity to keep up the same tempo which is possible no matter how strong he is. And in this case a steady climber's advantage starts working. That's the main reason why:
- definetely good explosive climbers like Rodriguez or Cunego so rarely try to make a move induvidually;
- why we see attacks from big pack overly seldom.

I'm sure while being in form Wiggins will defend very strongly.
In 400-500 meters they can gain easily 15 seconds on Wiggins when it's on a 'muur'.

Look at mur de bretagne, and that wasn't even a real 'muur'
Reply With Quote
  #2184  
Old 12-29-12, 18:34
airstream airstream is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Minsk
Posts: 4,202
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miburo View Post
In 400-500 meters they can gain easily 15 seconds on Wiggins when it's on a 'muur'.
Not against Wiggins of 2012.
Quote:
Look at mur de bretagne, and that wasn't even a real 'muur'
Well, we are looking a GT situation where Contador and Wiggins can collide right?

Quote:
Different, btw Evans was not great in that tour.
Yes, because the others were too good. Or they are doomed to suck when Evans is great according to some invisible class division lol?
Quote:
Look at mur de bretagne, and that wasn't even a real 'muur'
Even Andreas Kloden held on back then. He is one of few climbers for who always have catastrophic trouble with steepness. Rather this year's Wiggins would have sprinted against Contador at Mur-de-Bretagne

In general our talks hit one problem. I tell about riders, you tell about names. Riders =/= names. Nobody is going to compare Contador and Wiggins in terms of palmares, contribution into the sport and role in cycling, but to declare others by far weaker because of that as you adore to do is just laughable.

Last edited by airstream; 12-29-12 at 19:57.
Reply With Quote
  #2185  
Old 12-30-12, 13:02
movingtarget movingtarget is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 3,739
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miburo View Post
That was after a climb of 6km.

Different, btw Evans was not great in that tour.

Let him in do that on a climb of 1km average 12% against the likes of purito and Contador. We'll see how far he'll go

Btw Contador should have won the FW evans won, he went too early because he didn't know the muur.
Evans loves those climbs. His margin in the Fleche was huge. If Contador is serious he should ride more one day races. I don't think the result would have been different as Evans has proved plenty of times that he can sprint on those finishes and sprinting is not really one of Contador's strengths unless it's on a mountain with a km to go.
Reply With Quote
  #2186  
Old 12-30-12, 13:24
Miburo's Avatar
Miburo Miburo is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,982
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtarget View Post
Evans loves those climbs. His margin in the Fleche was huge. If Contador is serious he should ride more one day races. I don't think the result would have been different as Evans has proved plenty of times that he can sprint on those finishes and sprinting is not really one of Contador's strengths unless it's on a mountain with a km to go.
Huge? Contador was pretty much standing still in the last 150 meters. That's the only reason into why he lost.

His first classic in 3 years and he almost wins it. Anyway classics is always somehow a gamble while winning a GT or a stage race is pretty much gonna happen with Contador.
Reply With Quote
  #2187  
Old 12-31-12, 09:16
Joachim Joachim is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 531
Default Basso hails Wiggins as "a Champion"

Not new, but thanks to thehog for drawing my attention to this article full of praise for Wiggins:

http://velonews.competitor.com/2012/...top-sky_230769

Quote:
“I don’t judge Sky for just what they did this spring,” Basso told VeloNews. “For me, what they did at the Vuelta was incredible. Wiggins pulled off a miracle: crashed at the Tour, broke his collarbone and went strongly there. Only a champion can do that. You understand? They showed that they can handle three weeks, they have the ability to manage a race. Then, don’t forget, there are still 53 kilometers [of time trialing] to race here!”
Reply With Quote
  #2188  
Old 12-31-12, 09:38
Joachim Joachim is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 531
Default

Oh look. A thread I started has been buried as a post in a long thread. What a surprise.
Reply With Quote
  #2189  
Old 12-31-12, 10:01
Alphabet's Avatar
Alphabet Alphabet is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: The yard
Posts: 798
Default

Quote:
What they did at the Vuelta was incredible. Wiggins pulled off a miracle.... Only a champion can do that. You understand?
That's just so ambiguous. What one perceives as admiration and respect, another could see it as loaded with Clinic references.
Reply With Quote
  #2190  
Old 12-31-12, 10:10
Vino attacks everyone's Avatar
Vino attacks everyone Vino attacks everyone is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 4,051
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphabet View Post
That's just so ambiguous. What one perceives as admiration and respect, another could see it as loaded with Clinic references.
Yes, you have to decode the whole statement to find out what he really means.
__________________
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9LBsWCNE9I

Quote:
Originally Posted by iZnoGouD View Post
Nibali will make one of his useless attacks
Vuelta 06 - the greatest gt in history!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24TQdI7csHs
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:35.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2006 - 2009 Future Publishing Limited. All rights reserved. Future Publishing Limited is part of the Future plc group. Future Publishing Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with company registration number 2008885 whose registered office is at Beauford Court 30 Monmouth Street Bath, UK BA1 2BW England.