Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Cafe > General

General Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Old 12-30-12, 09:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by python View Post
First race - first impressions…no bearing on the remaining 6 stages.

no surprise at all:
northug, randall, kowalczyk, kalla, hellner, legkov, harvey...

these performed as expected at a customary high level

slight surprise:

cologna (outside podium), vylegzhanin (he normally does not feature this high in shorter races), joensson (i thought he was capable of a higher position yesterday), johaug (the 13th is OK but the 17 seconds back of randall feels a bit too much since she was reported to improve her sprints…)

today i think justyna will quickly catch randall and stomp the field…

northug told nrk that he wont insist on fighting it alone all the way in todays pursuit and would rather carve a good position for a final acceleration. i think the russians have the goods and will try some team tactic to thwart his plans…
I think it's an improvement for Johaug compared to last year. She was very happy with her position.

What Justyna will do only Justyna knows. I'm hoping they go slow so Weng can catch up.

But knowing Justyna she will go hard all the way. I think Johaug will catch up to Justyna probably followed by Kristoffersen and Steira. I see Justyna winning with Johaug closely following if it is the usual go hard all the way womens race. The group behind will contain the Norwegians, Randall and hopefully Kalla if she gets the skis right. Kalla is very vulnerable to less than perfect skis in classic.

As for the mens race. The prologue is a strange race. It's difficult to get the pace right. And knowing the times of your competitors is a huge benefit. Northug used this for all it was worth yesterday. As for Emil, he could probably have skied faster, but didn't want to pay the price today.

As for tactics today, I think you are right regarding the Russians. I think Vylegzhanin is the one to watch. He is very good at maneuvering in the field in classic style.

But this race will come together. There is a very strong group of classics skiers coming from behind.

I'm looking forward to seeing Olsson and Richardsson, if they are in shape and their skis are good they have the capacity to break the field. Hellner like Kalla is vulnerable in classic, if he can avoid loosing too much time he should be happy.

Angerer and Teichmann might also show something. It's their home soil, and their forms seems to be better than previous seasons.

Northug and Cologna will be watching each other and are also contenders. I expect them to place highly.
Old 12-30-12, 12:19

Justyna destroying the field today. Johaug also impressive, and Steira and Kylloenen.

Commentators complaining that they give bonuses here, because they help Kowalczyk, but they were so happy about the bonuses yesterday because they're huge Kikkan Randall fans. To the level that they were saying we needed more sprints so that Randall could give Kowalczyk a challenge as with no Bjørgen they couldn't think of anybody bar her or perhaps Kalla who could be any threat at all. Then they suddenly remembered Johaug only after she appeared in 4th position in the race today.

Forever tęte de la course.
Old 12-30-12, 12:20

What was the top5? Only Mens is live here for some reason.
Old 12-30-12, 12:25

Justyna
Johaug +41 + 5 =46 behind in overall
Kyllonen
Herman
Steira

Yep Justyna destroyed the field.

Hopefully she will totally boink in the sprint to make this exciting again.
Old 12-30-12, 12:32

Cheers, so she put 20-30" into the lot of them.
Old 12-30-12, 13:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by jens_attacks View Post
and the russians to kick aszes today
Day late
Old 12-30-12, 13:53

Women's: Justyna impressive.. completely destryoing the field. A show. And Kyllönen impressed me yet again. Unsalted tracks and the conditions made this so difficult, and the less technically skilled like Kalla suffered big time today. Randall also seemed to suffer a great deal. Let's hope for a sprint that narrows the field tomorrow. Johaug only did an OK race too, because she can't sprint to save her life.

Men's: The Russians owned the field in the end, Vyleghzanin getting a deserved stage win. Northug played it smart, conserving his energies at every moment possible. He's going to give Cologna a real challenge this tour. I'm not sure how the Russians will do in the long haul now, and I'm not sure how Bauer and the Swedes will do - but it's very possible that the field gets narrowed down on stage 4. Hellner has traditionally done well on that stage, so with a good sprint and a good pursuit he is up there again.

There's a lot of potential for this tour to go well, but it could also go sour... we'll see.
Old 12-30-12, 14:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsem94 View Post
Johaug only did an OK race too, because she can't sprint to save her life.
That's because she's a real skier.

Forever tęte de la course.
Old 12-30-12, 15:50

Heh. I'm rooting for her in the overall, so you better be right .
Old 12-30-12, 20:45

For those of you who haven't seen it yet, here's Northug's bus:

And no, that's not for the entire Norwegian team, it's only for Northug himself...