National Football League - Page 202 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Cafe > General

General Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Old 12-28-12, 19:35

My picks:

TB @ ATL
NYJ @ BUF
BAL @ CIN
CHI @DET
JAC @ TEN
HOU @ IND
CAR @ NO
PHI @ NYG
CLE @ PIT
KC @ DEN
GB @ MIN
MIA @ NE
OAK @ SD
ARI @ SF
STL @ SEA
DAL @ WSH

Last edited by FoxxyBrown1111; 12-28-12 at 19:40.
Old 12-29-12, 02:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amsterhammer View Post

Plus this vote on who's most likely to make the playoffs: LINK ...for sure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpe d'Huez View Post
Thanks again Merckx for the thoughtful post. I too fear that the NFL may be so fearful of losing lawsuits that they implement too many safety rules. I completely understand the helmet to helmet, but what I don't get are clean hard hits that get penalized, such as Chancellor's hit on Davis that still resulted in a concussion. If you watch the play again Chancellor didn't go for the helmet, and didn't even really leave his feet. It was actually Davis who left his feet and opened himself up to the hit. I don't know a single thing Kam could have done other than let Davis catch the ball, or take his knees out. And to me, that's not football. The way to stop hits like this are for receivers to stop running such routes that expose them to free safetys (and Chancellor one of the hardest hitting in the league), receivers to stop leaving their feet with defenders possibly approaching, and for the QB's to stop leaving their receivers vulnerable with passes like this.
Agree that hit by Cam Chancellor was legal. Well, apparently the NFL agrees that it was legal too according to the fines levied out against various things today... LINK, seeing as how Chancellor was not fined. If the NFL continues to go nuts by overprotecting I may have to stop watching the NFL. What the h-e-double-toothpick is the defense supposed to do? Just let the offense do what they want? Instead of tossing a flag for every hit that is near illegal, they may have to start reviewing those in the booth too. Sooner or later if they don't review them there is going to be a game changing penalty for a hit that really was legal. That could have been a game changer in Seattle vs SF, except that SEA completely stomped on SF.

As a side note related to that LINK, Cam Newton's a good guy based on his fines, huh?

NFL did nail Ed Reed for his high hit on NYG Victor Cruz last week. Now that one was illegal. If you watch the video in the next link starting at about the 2:40 timeline, and specifically at 2:50 to 2:55, you will see Reed's shoulder pad hit the facemask of Cruz, torquing Cruz's head sideways. LINK

On ESPN, John Clayton says Reed is getting close to a suspension (LINK).

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxxyBrown1111 View Post
My picks:

TB @ ATL
NYJ @ BUF
BAL @ CIN
CHI @DET
JAC @ TEN
HOU @ IND
CAR @ NO
PHI @ NYG
CLE @ PIT
KC @ DEN
GB @ MIN
MIA @ NE
OAK @ SD
ARI @ SF
STL @ SEA
DAL @ WSH
I'm going with Foxxy's picks, except I think MIN at home will take GB down. I can see AP and his OL in the huddle. Nobody's spose to talk in the huddle except QB, but I can see all the OLinemen silently mouthing these words to AP, "Adrian, just run behind me". That attitude gets it done.
Old 12-30-12, 19:32

I am starting to get pretty damn nervous....and excited.....and stoked! The rarity value of this game is not unlike West Ham getting to the Cup final..iow, very rare indeed.

Foxxy, are you staying up for THE game?
Old 12-31-12, 00:55

You guys should start listening to me when I talk about the Texans.
Old 12-31-12, 01:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisE View Post
You guys should start listening to me when I talk about the Texans.
I picked Indy.
Old 12-31-12, 01:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amsterhammer View Post
I picked Indy.
And here I thought you had turned over a new leaf and decided to start agreeing with everything I say.

It's ok, I pick Dos Santos over Valesquez last night. What a fight.

The issues are always there, and they have been there all season if anybody cared to look. It was all smoke and mirrors. They have been exposed, and as I noted earlier in this thread it doesn't really matter. It's a unique club down on Kirby Avenue.

If Peyton Manning hadn't broken his neck or left Indy, and Bum's boy wouldn't have caught lighting in a bottle last year with that defense, then they would still have never been to the playoffs. Something tells me that Kubiak would still be here, and Schaub would still have a new $60 million contract. Company men.

I actually think they may win next week, for some reason though Cincy is obviously alot better than last year IMO. If the line is over 6 I would take Cincy. I think the line today was something like that, and I wonder WTF Las Vegas is thinking. They will get rolled the next week, though. Give the points and take whoever they are playing, pronto.

Sports are funny. Cheering for a team is faith based, which doesn't go well with my make up. I want the Texans to win, but I have to hope for their losing over the long haul until by some miracle a change is made at head coach.
Old 12-31-12, 01:46

Wow, the Minn-GB game was one for the ages. A lot on the line: Minn had to win to make the playoffs, GB needed to win to get a first round bye, AP trying to break the rushing record. So late in the 4th quarter, the game is tied, Minn has the ball on the Packer 37. There is time for one running play left. AP is 35 yards short of the record, which means if he breaks one, he could score, win the game and set the record all on one play. Amazingly, he almost does, getting tackled on the 11 yard line. He misses the record by 9 yards, but puts his team in position to win the game with a short FG…Holy Smokes, what a finish. (If the kicker had missed, it would have gone into OT, and Peterson almost certainly would have broken the record).

GB now has to play the Vikings again next week, though at least they will get them at Lambeau. Seahawks will play the winner of Dallas-Washington. Would be really fun to see RGIII vs. the Seattle Defense, plus the head-to-head with Russell Wilson. 49ers get a bye, which could really help. Vernon Davis played a little today, should be 100% in two weeks. Will Justin Smith be able to play then? The answer could be critical to the playoffs.

Houston collapsed again, so Denver and NE get first round byes.

Here are my playoff predictions:

NFC

WC

Minn @ GB. Packers a little better at home.
SE @ Wash/Dallas. Seahawk defense clamps down on RGIII.

DIV

GB @ SF. In the absence of Justin Smith, Rodgers will go wild. But if Smith plays, I will pick SF.
SE @ ATL. Tough game to call, SE looks like the better team in recent weeks, but I think this is the Falcons’ year. This is perhaps not a rational pick.

Title

GB @ ATL. Revenge for that blowout two years ago.

AFC

WC

INDY @ BAL. Ravens will score on Indy’s poor defense.
CIN @ HOU. A rematch of last year’s WC game, with the same result. Even though they’ve slipped a little, Houston still the better team.

DIV

HOU @ NE. Houston’s defense can’t stop Brady and co.
BAL @ DEN. Manning is on a roll, the suddenly vulnerable Raven defense won’t stop him.

Title

NE @ DEN. Brady vs. Manning for the AFC title? It doesn't get any better. Brady wins most of these matchups, but not this time. Denver has a perhaps underrated defense, certainly better than NE's.

SB

ATL > DEN. It’s just the Falcons’ year.

Last edited by Merckx index; 12-31-12 at 01:57.
Old 12-31-12, 02:19

Houston seems to be going in the wrong direction.

AP at 2097 total yards rushing is just 9 yards shy of Dickerson's. Good effort tho.

Eagles boned it, giving coach Reid (who will probably be fired Monday) a horrible send off. Reid deserved better.
Old 12-31-12, 03:28

Alf Morris breaks Portis' single season rushing record and we finally take the lead. Let's close this out now.
Old 12-31-12, 04:42

On such a high! I've been saying all season what a monster Alf Morris is. How to get to sleep now.....?