The 2013 CQ Ranking Manager Game - Page 18 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > Games and Fantasy Cycling

Games and Fantasy Cycling Come in and talk about betting, computer games and cycling simulations, and your office's or online fantasy cycling leagues.

Old 12-30-12, 12:27

Oh, boo-hoo. Your unique picks aren't going to win you the game. A huge stroke of luck with getting the combination of as many of the best value for return riders will.

Any*****s, almost finalised my team. I've got 33 riders but 100-odd points to spare, so going to try and figure out who's the best to upgrade.

Last edited by Tuarts; 12-30-12 at 13:06.
Old 12-30-12, 12:34

I don't know about that, Khatuntsev almost won it for me this year.
Old 12-30-12, 13:06

7 invaluable points I'm sure.
Old 12-30-12, 13:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuarts View Post
Oh, boo-hoo. Your unique picks aren't going to win you the game. A huge stroke of luck with getting the combination of as many of the best value for return riders will.

Any*****s, almost finalised my team. I've got 33 riders but 100-odd points to spare, so going to try and figure out who's the best to upgrade.
to play devil's advocate you could, however, lose to someone whose lucky combination includes a couple of riders they'd otherwise forgotten about, until they were hinted at or discussed. I know from my own experience that I wasn't intending to include a certain Slovenian rider last year until I saw people listing the nationalities of their teams.

Also discussion of a rider potentially means that rider is selected artificially more than might otherwise be the case, giving them more significance in the game than might otherwise be the case.

I understand there are others who think its not about finding the bargains but about picking the right bargains.

PS you gonna play the youth CQ game on velorooms?
Old 12-31-12, 13:13

10 UK
6 Australia
4 France
3 USA
2 Italy
2 Belgium
1 Switzerland
1 Luxembourg
1 Spain
1 Brazil
1 Denmark
1 Norway

Here's a collective palmares...

5 Olympic Golds
24 Rainbow Bands (all at senior level)
9 Monuments
9 Other genuine Classics
1 TdF win
1 TdF green jersey
46 TdF stage wins
13 Giro stage wins
14 Vuelta stage wins
Old 12-31-12, 14:07

Cool

6 Italian, 5 Australian, 4 French, 4 Spanish, 3 Belgian, 1 each from 11 other countries.
Old 12-31-12, 14:40

6 Dutchmen, 4 Colombians, 3 Australians, 3 Italians, 3 Belgians, 2 Britons, 2 Frenchmen, 2 Norwegians, 2 Americans, 1 Slovenian, 1 Czech, 1 Luxembourger, 1 from Hong Kong and 1 Venezuelan.
Old 01-01-13, 12:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc_mountain View Post
to play devil's advocate you could, however, lose to someone whose lucky combination includes a couple of riders they'd otherwise forgotten about, until they were hinted at or discussed. I know from my own experience that I wasn't intending to include a certain Slovenian rider last year until I saw people listing the nationalities of their teams.

Also discussion of a rider potentially means that rider is selected artificially more than might otherwise be the case, giving them more significance in the game than might otherwise be the case.

I understand there are others who think its not about finding the bargains but about picking the right bargains.

PS you gonna play the youth CQ game on velorooms?
I think the opposite is true, the more you talk about a rider the less significance he has as a variable. You still have to pick 32 other riders as well and someone just copypasta'ing others suggestions is already behind the eight ball and wont win. Those that do the research and pick the right 20-30 will win. With a lot of luck of course.

Oh, I don't know about any games elsewhere, I haven't been there in a long time. Only around here because I remembered this.
Old 01-01-13, 13:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuarts View Post
I think the opposite is true, the more you talk about a rider the less significance he has as a variable. You still have to pick 32 other riders as well and someone just copypasta'ing others suggestions is already behind the eight ball and wont win. Those that do the research and pick the right 20-30 will win. With a lot of luck of course.

Oh, I don't know about any games elsewhere, I haven't been there in a long time. Only around here because I remembered this.
The more teams that look the same, the less interesting it is for me. With 33 riders on a team it's very unlikely that anyone will have identical teams but when a name like Rafael Valls gets hyped on this thread last year and ends up in 50 odd teams, I think that's daft (although not as daft as those who picked him )
...[Walsh] thinks we're ahead of the curve. But think about it for a sec. We're building long-lasting, trusting relationships with people who are spending a lot of money - Coke, Nike, Subaru. If we're f***ing lying, we can kiss it all goodbye. And if we were lying we'd do some stupid stuff to try to cover it up, wouldn't we? Does anybody think for a second that a secret that big wouldn't come out? Bill Stapleton
Old 01-01-13, 14:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by will10 View Post
The more teams that look the same, the less interesting it is for me. With 33 riders on a team it's very unlikely that anyone will have identical teams but when a name like Rafael Valls gets hyped on this thread last year and ends up in 50 odd teams, I think that's daft (although not as daft as those who picked him )
Yeah. I'd be for relaxing the 33 rider limit for this reason. Larger teams would be more diverse than they are now, despite those over hyped riders.