Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Old 12-31-12, 14:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by theyoungest View Post
Yes, I regularly get glasses of beer thrown at me while shopping, riding on my commute, working, etc.

Sports attract morons. Classical music doesn't, for instance.
Have you never seen Last night if the Proms.
Old 01-10-13, 07:39

I am fine with guys standing beside the road dressed as a devil or a chicken or whatever they want, and fine with them running beside the road. The problem is when they are either trying to interfere with riders (like with Nys) or just so stupid that they do it by mistake (like with Guerini) or do it in the thought that they are helping. Having ridden a lot of famous climbs while the fans where there I can tell you that it does make for a great atmosphere if they are keeping their distance, but is scary when they get too close.

People say we should put police there, but police only enforce the rules that society makes. Peer pressure is what it is all about, whether legalised or not. The only way we can solve it is to let the idiots know that it isn't acceptable, and this is much easier for the people on the side of the road (who have time and energy) to do than for the poor guys trying to race. I'm not saying we should start vigilante groups and start hanging or shooting people, but if you think it is wrong then you should say so, to the people doing it. If other people around you join in with telling them it is wrong, then it probably is and they will now know it and will think twice before doing it again. If the people around you side with him, then maybe you need to adjust your standards. That is how societies work.

Personally, I hate people coming out of a crowd to push me. When you are struggling to keep the pedals turning and your momentum going up the hill the absolute last thing you want is some idiot running out of the crowd and pushing you sideways, and I confess to having shouted abuse at people doing this to me (sorry to that kid on Col de Saisies in 2009, I didn't realise how young you were or I wouldn't have used those words...). On the other hand, at last year's Vuelta there were some killer final climbs, and I reckon a couple of people would have had to get off and walk if they hadn't been pushed...

And now, you can follow me on twitter: @Tour_Le_Tour
Old 01-10-13, 07:50

Equip all the riders with tazers!
Old 01-11-13, 00:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pistolero View Post
How much beer do they sell at a concert for classical music?
Just enough to drown the sorrows of the brass section. Based on the brass players I know, this is quite a bit. Seriously though if the cameras didn't show them it would start to solve the problem. Also, Phil Liggett should praise them - the more Phil encourages something, the less cool it will become, I reckon.
Old 01-11-13, 02:00

beer at a concert for classical music??
they serve wine and champagne, which has a higher alcohol percentage... Not that you get too many folks wearing caps with two wine glasses strapped to them and a drinking tube either...

as for banning alcohol being sold at events, that'd be a 'fail' due to those three convenient letters: BYO...

I blame Didi the Devil. He's the pioneer of all this, but his followers/imitators unfortunately don't follow his creed and self-discipline of not crossing the line.
Old 01-11-13, 02:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archibald View Post
beer at a concert for classical music??
they serve wine and champagne, which has a higher alcohol percentage... Not that you get too many folks wearing caps with two wine glasses strapped to them and a drinking tube either...

as for banning alcohol being sold at events, that'd be a 'fail' due to those three convenient letters: BYO...

I blame Didi the Devil. He's the pioneer of all this, but his followers/imitators unfortunately don't follow his creed and self-discipline of not crossing the line.
Musicians drink a lot, man.

The Devil and the publicity he gets undoubtedly influenced the phenomenon.