Wiggins Discussion thread. - Page 221 - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Old 12-31-12, 17:28

None of that is the point! This is a Wiggans thread and Way Off Topic....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Alberto Contador of Pinto: "And yes, it is true that for me it's the same to finish second or 10th."

Vincezo Nibali makes history and joins Anquetil, Gimondi, Merckx, Hinault and Contador as only the 6th winner of all Three Grand Tours! Bravo Lo Squalo!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Old 12-31-12, 17:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by airstream View Post
Bashing? The talk is about different visions on the same episode.
I just think we saw a different episode
Old 12-31-12, 20:16
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carols View Post
None of that is the point! This is a Wiggans thread and Way Off Topic....
Exactly Carols Back to Wiggo talk folks, please take the Contador/Evans talk to a more appropriate thread. Cheers.
Old 01-04-13, 21:38

Anyone knows how Sky is going to split the team to support Wiggo?

I mean, what will be the core of domestiques? I guess Porte, Cataldo isn't it.

I always think that if Froome wasn't there at Tour perhaps Nibali could gap him on the climbs
Old 01-04-13, 23:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forunculo View Post
I always think that if Froome wasn't there at Tour perhaps Nibali could gap him on the climbs
Like on Peyragudes?
Old 01-05-13, 01:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by webvan View Post
Like on Peyragudes?
Like La Toussuire where Pinot, VdB and Nibali tried something together and when Froome couldn't/declined to pace, he was losing 20 seconds in a half km.
Or when Froome attacked latter the group split in three, with Froome in front, Pinot, Nibali and VdB in the middle and Wiggo dropped.

Peyragudes was at the end of Tdf, so could be a matter of recovery/stamina

In Italy Nibali will have 8 on form guys behind him and Astana hasn't got bad riders. Not the the band he had at Liquigas with the best helpers doing the Giro, an off form Basso and Sagan not caring Nibali's goals (And I think was correct to give Sagan the green light)

A likely scenario is Wiggo taking 2-3 minutes at the long TT and defending the most of stages. And sometimes riding the Tour against a french, Vuelta against a spaniard or Giro against an italian can trigger the local riders helping a little bit the local hope. That has happened many times and it's one of the beauties of cycling to me.

Last edited by Forunculo; 01-05-13 at 02:54.
Old 01-05-13, 05:28

Quote:
Like La Toussuire where Pinot, VdB and Nibali tried something together and when Froome couldn't/declined to pace, he was losing 20 seconds in a half km.
Or when Froome attacked latter the group split in three, with Froome in front, Pinot, Nibali and VdB in the middle and Wiggo dropped.

Peyragudes was at the end of Tdf, so could be a matter of recovery/stamina

In Italy Nibali will have 8 on form guys behind him and Astana hasn't got bad riders. Not the the band he had at Liquigas with the best helpers doing the Giro, an off form Basso and Sagan not caring Nibali's goals (And I think was correct to give Sagan the green light)

A likely scenario is Wiggo taking 2-3 minutes at the long TT and defending the most of stages. And sometimes riding the Tour against a french, Vuelta against a spaniard or Giro against an italian can trigger the local riders helping a little bit the local hope. That has happened many times and it's one of the beauties of cycling to me.
Wiggins will miss Froome's presence in the Giro but I just don't think that Nibali is a much superior climber to Wiggins. He often attacks and just about always gets caught. Rodriguez not riding the Giro won't help either but usually when he attacks it is close to the finish so Wiggins would not lose much time anyway. The Sky team work will protect Wiggins most of the way on mountain stages. I just think that Wiggins will have to have a bad day in the mountains to cancel out the predicted time losses for the other GC riders in the TTs. Of course it's possible. But the other contenders will have to be very aggressive in the mountains to crack Wiggins. I still think Ryder is Wiggin's biggest danger for the Pink Jersey. Sanchez and Gesink could be the surprises if any.
Old 01-05-13, 10:46

Quote:
Anyone knows how Sky is going to split the team to support Wiggo?

I mean, what will be the core of domestiques? I guess Porte, Cataldo isn't it.

Henao is quoted as saying he's keeping his race schedule the same as 2012, meaning that he'll go to giro and i'd guess that Uran will then be kept fresh for the tour. Knees will probably go to the giro as wiggins lives behind him in the first week of GT's. Dombrowski and Kennaugh seem to be on sky's giro long list but it will be interesting to see whether sky go with both as they're fairly inexperienced. Siutsou may not be back to full fitness so yet so il guess that he and Kiriyenka may support Froome.
Old 01-05-13, 12:25

uran says this year that he wants to podium a gt, either the giro or the tour. which to me means he will not want to work for someone else.
Old 01-05-13, 12:37

he'll have to do the vuelta then really bar no crashes to froome and wiggins