Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #2201  
Old 12-31-12, 16:01
LaFlorecita's Avatar
LaFlorecita LaFlorecita is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Utrecht, The Netherlands
Posts: 13,890
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carols View Post
Thought I was in the Wiggans thread, but come to find Airstream bashing Contador...hummm. Shocked = Not.
Haha

when will wiggins get knighetd?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrank
Froome see's how Contador is already dressing himself in yellow in anticipation for July, how he rides with no helmet without fear, how he and his loyal second in command Kreuziger have grown thin, how he takes on the sprinters in a bunch sprint, and how Contador has given previews of what others will face in July in the form of Giro 2011 pictures....

...and he feels fear...
Reply With Quote
  #2202  
Old 12-31-12, 16:28
Carols's Avatar
Carols Carols is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: PA, USA
Posts: 2,537
Default

None of that is the point! This is a Wiggans thread and Way Off Topic....
__________________
Carol S.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Travis you're my Hero!

Alberto Contador of Pinto: "And yes, it is true that for me it's the same to finish second or 10th."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Reply With Quote
  #2203  
Old 12-31-12, 16:48
Miburo's Avatar
Miburo Miburo is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,985
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by airstream View Post
Bashing? The talk is about different visions on the same episode.
I just think we saw a different episode
Reply With Quote
  #2204  
Old 12-31-12, 19:16
ferryman's Avatar
ferryman ferryman is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: LostinFife
Posts: 2,083
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carols View Post
None of that is the point! This is a Wiggans thread and Way Off Topic....
Exactly Carols Back to Wiggo talk folks, please take the Contador/Evans talk to a more appropriate thread. Cheers.
Reply With Quote
  #2205  
Old 01-04-13, 20:38
Forunculo's Avatar
Forunculo Forunculo is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,504
Default

Anyone knows how Sky is going to split the team to support Wiggo?


I mean, what will be the core of domestiques? I guess Porte, Cataldo isn't it.

I always think that if Froome wasn't there at Tour perhaps Nibali could gap him on the climbs
__________________
Supporting Nibali this Giro 2013. Andiamo Vincenzo
Supporting Contador this Tour 2013. Vamos Alberto
Reply With Quote
  #2206  
Old 01-04-13, 22:22
webvan webvan is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 2,836
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forunculo View Post
I always think that if Froome wasn't there at Tour perhaps Nibali could gap him on the climbs
Like on Peyragudes?
Reply With Quote
  #2207  
Old 01-05-13, 00:03
Forunculo's Avatar
Forunculo Forunculo is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,504
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by webvan View Post
Like on Peyragudes?
Like La Toussuire where Pinot, VdB and Nibali tried something together and when Froome couldn't/declined to pace, he was losing 20 seconds in a half km.
Or when Froome attacked latter the group split in three, with Froome in front, Pinot, Nibali and VdB in the middle and Wiggo dropped.

Peyragudes was at the end of Tdf, so could be a matter of recovery/stamina


In Italy Nibali will have 8 on form guys behind him and Astana hasn't got bad riders. Not the the band he had at Liquigas with the best helpers doing the Giro, an off form Basso and Sagan not caring Nibali's goals (And I think was correct to give Sagan the green light)

A likely scenario is Wiggo taking 2-3 minutes at the long TT and defending the most of stages. And sometimes riding the Tour against a french, Vuelta against a spaniard or Giro against an italian can trigger the local riders helping a little bit the local hope. That has happened many times and it's one of the beauties of cycling to me.
__________________
Supporting Nibali this Giro 2013. Andiamo Vincenzo
Supporting Contador this Tour 2013. Vamos Alberto

Last edited by Forunculo; 01-05-13 at 01:54.
Reply With Quote
  #2208  
Old 01-05-13, 04:28
movingtarget movingtarget is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 3,758
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forunculo View Post
Like La Toussuire where Pinot, VdB and Nibali tried something together and when Froome couldn't/declined to pace, he was losing 20 seconds in a half km.
Or when Froome attacked latter the group split in three, with Froome in front, Pinot, Nibali and VdB in the middle and Wiggo dropped.

Peyragudes was at the end of Tdf, so could be a matter of recovery/stamina


In Italy Nibali will have 8 on form guys behind him and Astana hasn't got bad riders. Not the the band he had at Liquigas with the best helpers doing the Giro, an off form Basso and Sagan not caring Nibali's goals (And I think was correct to give Sagan the green light)

A likely scenario is Wiggo taking 2-3 minutes at the long TT and defending the most of stages. And sometimes riding the Tour against a french, Vuelta against a spaniard or Giro against an italian can trigger the local riders helping a little bit the local hope. That has happened many times and it's one of the beauties of cycling to me.
Wiggins will miss Froome's presence in the Giro but I just don't think that Nibali is a much superior climber to Wiggins. He often attacks and just about always gets caught. Rodriguez not riding the Giro won't help either but usually when he attacks it is close to the finish so Wiggins would not lose much time anyway. The Sky team work will protect Wiggins most of the way on mountain stages. I just think that Wiggins will have to have a bad day in the mountains to cancel out the predicted time losses for the other GC riders in the TTs. Of course it's possible. But the other contenders will have to be very aggressive in the mountains to crack Wiggins. I still think Ryder is Wiggin's biggest danger for the Pink Jersey. Sanchez and Gesink could be the surprises if any.
Reply With Quote
  #2209  
Old 01-05-13, 09:46
BlenJones2 BlenJones2 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 207
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forunculo View Post
Anyone knows how Sky is going to split the team to support Wiggo?


I mean, what will be the core of domestiques? I guess Porte, Cataldo isn't it.

I always think that if Froome wasn't there at Tour perhaps Nibali could gap him on the climbs
Henao is quoted as saying he's keeping his race schedule the same as 2012, meaning that he'll go to giro and i'd guess that Uran will then be kept fresh for the tour. Knees will probably go to the giro as wiggins lives behind him in the first week of GT's. Dombrowski and Kennaugh seem to be on sky's giro long list but it will be interesting to see whether sky go with both as they're fairly inexperienced. Siutsou may not be back to full fitness so yet so il guess that he and Kiriyenka may support Froome.
Reply With Quote
  #2210  
Old 01-05-13, 11:25
Ryo Hazuki's Avatar
Ryo Hazuki Ryo Hazuki is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 13,749
Default

uran says this year that he wants to podium a gt, either the giro or the tour. which to me means he will not want to work for someone else.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:03.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2006 - 2009 Future Publishing Limited. All rights reserved. Future Publishing Limited is part of the Future plc group. Future Publishing Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with company registration number 2008885 whose registered office is at Beauford Court 30 Monmouth Street Bath, UK BA1 2BW England.