Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

View Poll Results: Who will win the 2013 GIRO?
Wiggins 52 30.41%
Nibali 51 29.82%
Rodriguez 11 6.43%
Hesjedal 10 5.85%
Gesink 21 12.28%
Sanchez 5 2.92%
Basso 6 3.51%
Scarponi 2 1.17%
A colombian 4 2.34%
Other/Vino 9 5.26%
Voters: 171. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 12-31-12, 10:59

Still not good enough to beat Wiggins, although he did smash that ITT in 2005...
Old 12-31-12, 12:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferminal View Post
Still not good enough to beat Wiggins, although he did smash that ITT in 2005...
How about the ITT in 2006
Take Bradley Wiggins for example, and his claim that he thought Lance Armstrong was clean up until the reasoned decision. I do have a little sympathy for him. While he's not particularly bright or articulate, if you read between his curse words it's clear that he has insecurities resulting from the fact that despite all the measures he took to win the Tour he wasn't even the strongest rider.
Change my pitch up/Smack my bitch up
Old 12-31-12, 17:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekker_Tifosi View Post
lol podium is way out of reach for benat
Not really has long has he avoids a bad day, a couple of proper GC riders underperform and makes a couple of decent moves. OK, maybe it's out of reach with Wiggins, Gesink, Nibali, Scarponi and Sanchez (?) going for it
Old 12-31-12, 17:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by jens_attacks View Post
"But I see myself in the top three and for the others to beat me, they'll have to be at 110%."

the thing we all waited for since 2006. robobasso makes a comeback in may 2013. be afraid.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/bass...uccess-in-2013

_O_

vai ivan!!!!!!!
Does Basso have an explanation for why he sucked so hard this year? Cos to me it looked like it was simply - losing it, and if you are losing it at 35 you wont suddenly get it back at 36
If there's a 1% suspicion or doubt that a team is working with certain doctors, then they shouldn't be invited to the Tour de France - as simple as that.
journalist with integrity.
Old 12-31-12, 17:55
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hitch View Post
Does Basso have an explanation for why he sucked so hard this year? Cos to me it looked like it was simply - losing it, and if you are losing it at 35 you wont suddenly get it back at 36
didn't he crash in the early season? I don't actually remember
Old 12-31-12, 17:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eshnar View Post
didn't he crash in the early season? I don't actually remember
Yeah I seem to remember that he had a pretty bad build up towards the Giro: a crash in the training camp and then again at Paris-Nice if I'm right.
Old 12-31-12, 19:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevim View Post
Yeah I seem to remember that he had a pretty bad build up towards the Giro: a crash in the training camp and then again at Paris-Nice if I'm right.
On April 30 2012
"Ivan Basso (Liquigas-Cannondale) has declared himself pleased with the state of his condition during the Tour de Romandie and is confident that he can continue to improve in the days leading up to the Giro d’Italia."

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/bass...f-giro-ditalia

Obviously he was following the wrong wheels, nothing to do with his fitness.
"Basso has named his former Liquigas teammate Roman Kreuziger (Astana) as perhaps his biggest rival for Giro victory, but he also expects Fränk Schleck (RadioShack-Nissan) to be a strong performer in the coming weeks."
The scientific explanation for Vincenzo Nibali's extraordinary descending ability is his large cojones, which lower his center of gravity, enabling him to corner with confidence on high speed descents

Last edited by cineteq; 12-31-12 at 19:45.
Old 01-01-13, 01:46

In the space of the last 18 months Evans wins the Tour, Basso shows some deterioration but Menchov, what's happened to him ? They are all about the same age but the oldest of the three, Evans still seems to be the most competitive. Menchov had a nice stage win in the Vuelta but compared to what he could do, it's a big step backwards. After Sastre won the Tour in 2008, he seemed to go backwards pretty quickly also. Kloeden and Leipheimer also seemed go off the boil pretty quickly in their mid thirties. The recovery factor over three weeks is probably at the heart of the matter although it does not mean that riders like Horner, Levi and Kloeden don't do well in the shorter stage races as we have seen. Can't see Menchov or Basso making another podium and Evans possibly has one last shot.
Old 01-01-13, 07:39
Administrator

well at roughly the same age evans has ridden 13 GT's while menchov has ridden 21, i honestly think that makes a significant different when declining time comes.

also sastre was still very good in 09 and imo his decline wasn't as bad as some make it sound. he rode all 3 GT's in 09 and 10 and 2 more in 11 so all that should imo be taken into account when considering his decline

Last edited by Parrulo; 01-01-13 at 07:41.
Old 01-01-13, 08:13

Rodriguez will not ride the Giro in 2013 as his focus will be on the Tour the France
http://www.biciciclismo.com/cas/site...a.asp?id=58260

My Vote will go for Gesink. He will come back stronger than ever in 2013 and will win the Giro and with that a new sponsor for his team. (always good motivation)
Closed Thread