Moderators - Page 315 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Feedback > About the forum

About the forum Drop in, give us some feedback and talk to the team

Old 12-31-12, 18:29
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Maserati View Post
So, you don't know. Ok.
I don't keep a log of everything I post. I regard all of this as pretty inconsequential, certainly I don't think it is of much interest to anyone outside of it despite the delusions of some who post here. So, no, I don't know, but as far as I can remember none were deleted.

Quote:
Why would you do that when you don't know me, that's neither honest or intelligent.
It was an appeal to honesty. Don't worry yourself with it.

Quote:
Also, are you sure you would like me to start correcting you when you're wrong?
Yes, I'd like to know when I'm wrong. I'm not sure you can deliver that, though, despite the hubristic nature of your posts.
Old 12-31-12, 18:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Westemeyer View Post
And how would you define "better moderation"?

Susan
I think that the problem is that some posters get away with things others don't get away with - this shouldn't be the case so as froome said moderation needs to be fairer.

Also sometimes it seems as if threads, posts and "matters" are just left ignored.

Also I get the impression that once you're on the naughty list there is no good thing you can do. For example myself, I got away with my posting style for months and then BAM started the load of warnings, bans, infractions and deleted posts.

Also I feel like Parrulo could be a bit nicer at times and Susan seems a bit cool which could be a good thing but for example ferryman shows that you don't need to come across that way in order to be a good mod

But I appreciate the time you guys put into it and most of the time it is ok.

And red_flanders, ferryman and Ferminal are my favorite mod/admins

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedaling squares View Post
It's settled, then. La Flo for mod!
and this is the solution to all the problems when is the next election? krabs will vote for me
Old 12-31-12, 19:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Westemeyer View Post
ha ha. You trying to get me fired?

Susan
Chris wouldn't do that, sounds like he is recommending a paid vacation.

Proud member of the Clinic 1200
Old 12-31-12, 20:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_flanders View Post
I think the better solution is that you start a moderation free cycling forum. Then you can post in the style you prefer, and not have to deal with moderation and bans.

If your posting style is the one most people prefer, I would imagine your forum would take off like gangbusters.
no the solution is, have moderators that delete a "pointless" thread and inform the user privately, rather than accusing them of spamming, possibly trolling and warn them publicly.

That is the difference as far as the original argument goes.

If forum members call somebody a troll they get a warning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_flanders View Post
But the other, and potentially most powerful tool is to set the tone by our manner of discourse and how we deal with things when they come up. We can and should (in my opinion) be trying to set examples of how to opine, discuss or even argue in a respectful manner which engages forum members and diffuses rancor and abuse.
Exactly, which begs the question...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaFlorecita View Post
I think that the problem is that some posters get away with things others don't get away with - this shouldn't be the case so as froome said moderation needs to be fairer.
Exactly, a long standing poster is given an awful lot more leeway to cause friction and be rude to other members, than a new user is. The Hog is a prime example, if he were a new poster he would quickly be bombarded with a wave of abuse an troll photos.

Last edited by TheGame; 12-31-12 at 20:48.
Old 12-31-12, 20:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGame View Post
no the solution is, have moderators that delete a "pointless" thread and inform the user privately, rather than accusing them of spamming, possibly trolling and warn them publicly.

I think you're confounding two different posts. What you're addressing does not apply to my (quoted above) response to Chris E's post, rather it seems to be addressing an issue which I haven't commented on. Or I'm missing the connection.
Old 12-31-12, 21:07

Quote:
Exactly, a long standing poster is given an awful lot more leeway to cause friction and be rude to other members, than a new user is. The Hog is a prime example, if he were a new poster he would quickly be bombarded with a wave of abuse an troll photos.
If you have issues with a particular poster's contribution, please specifically point them out in PM or report them.

That said, we get a lot of posts which report behavior that violates no rules of the site. In these cases we do not act. We don't give long-time posters more leeway. What I said in my earlier post is that I (personally and speaking for no one else) consider the poster's history when deciding on a sanction. Please don't assume what that means, it's a case-by-case situation. I don't fail to address things because someone has been here for a long time. Not at all. The action I take may be influenced by what I know previously about the person, good or bad.

It is a constant truism on this forum that people on both sides of discussions here think equally that the other side is being shown preferential treatment. They can't all be correct.

Last edited by red_flanders; 12-31-12 at 21:09.
Old 12-31-12, 21:15
Banned

Quote:

The thread was closed because it was trolling. What was the mod supposed to do, say it was closed because of the font?
Also - you get a warning for calling someone a troll only if they are not indeed a troll.

Quote:

Exactly, which begs the question...

I raised TheHog earlier - very simply they keep most of their trolling under the radar. A lesson Martin missed.
Old 12-31-12, 21:18

Ten characters.
Old 12-31-12, 21:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Maserati View Post
The thread was closed because it was trolling. What was the mod supposed to do, say it was closed because of the font?
Also - you get a warning for calling someone a troll only if they are not indeed a troll.
A thread about a topic that subsequently became newsworthy in most western countries, then subsequently got reported on most cycling outlets. Yes, Martin opened the topic before it was on the homepage here.

If it was trolling and spam then why run the story?
Lo Sceriffo - To call him the Fabian Cancellara of his day would be more accurate when Fabian wins yet another Paris-Roubaix, a few more classics, the World Championship road race, a Grand Tour and continues to kick @rse for another five years. - Velominati
Old 12-31-12, 22:10
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Sport View Post
A thread about a topic that subsequently became newsworthy in most western countries, then subsequently got reported on most cycling outlets. Yes, Martin opened the topic before it was on the homepage here.

If it was trolling and spam then why run the story?
The topic was not trolling.
Putting the topic in the Clinic, stating they could not resist and that they would "walk away" .........that's the trolling part.