Sky - Page 1112 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > The Clinic

The Clinic The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Old 12-31-12, 20:02

Considering that vested interests are ALWAYS going to say "cycling is cleaner now", I'll disregard that and consider that you still can't do it on bread and water. The landscape of cycling hasn't changed enough recently for that to believeable. Also you're talking about a period during which Contador won, who is OLD SCHOOL without doubt. Contador FFS.

Last edited by taiwan; 12-31-12 at 20:05.
Old 12-31-12, 20:07
Banned

Change is possible. We just don't know if or by much it has changed, so far. Remember, certainly by the mid 90's everybody was doping for one reason only, because everyone else was.
Old 12-31-12, 20:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joachim View Post
I understand the point you are making and it is a good point, they can't be certain. I'm not certain. How can anyone be certain?

If I've understood you correctly you are suggesting that they feel able to say Sky are not doping because they are going to rig the testing procedures somehow to ensure that Sky never test positive.

However, that strategy, if such a one existed, did not work for Armstrong, the UCI and by implication the ASO. It didn't matter that he never tested positive, the truth came out in ways beyond the UCI/ASO's control.

* slight point of order: I was using the phrase 'Armstrong never tested positive' to illustrate the above point, and how his ability, with the UCI's help, to cheat tests didn't keep him safe. He did test positive. Also , he didn't make a mockery of the tests singlehandly, he had the help of pretty much the entire peloton.

Not trying to score points here, and would genuinely be interested in if I've understood your point correctly and if so, whether you can accept mine.

@Benotti, read the above, I think it answers your post.
yeah, we understand each other.

So tell me why UCI is pronouncing Sky clean and are screaming it off the rooftops. I have an explanation. You don't.
Old 12-31-12, 20:18
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniper View Post
yeah, we understand each other.

So tell me why UCI is pronouncing Sky clean and are screaming it off the rooftops.
What else can they do? They are in a corner.

Quote:
I have an explanation. You don't.
No you have a theory. Now can you address the third paragraph in my post, please.
Old 12-31-12, 20:23

Quote:
What else can they do?
They could say nothing or say that they have no reason at all to believe Sky aren't clean.

Quote:
They are in a corner.
Why are they in a corner?
Old 12-31-12, 20:30
Banned

Why are they in a corner?

Have you been under a rock these past few months? McQ is under attack from all angles over complicity in doping cover ups, and not fighting the fight. He has to say that things are cleaner otherwise he is acceding to his critics.

What he says is neither here nor there, but the one thing he knows is that is not within his power to cover up doping. The Armstrong Saga demonstrates that.
Old 12-31-12, 20:31

Quote:
Change is possible. We just don't know if or by much it has changed, so far. Remember, certainly by the mid 90's everybody was doping for one reason only, because everyone else was.
Well in the mid 90s some were trying to gain advantage, doping to win, also. But what's your point? At that time they worked to the 50% limit, nowadays they have the BP, but the same people are operating under the new system - the landsape hasn't changed. I'm pretty much satisfied that significant advantage can be gained by doping under the BP and the "not since 2006" is bullshhit too. Otherwise cycling would look radically different.
Old 12-31-12, 21:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benotti69 View Post
Armstrong tested positive in 99 for steroids and the UCI broke their own rules by accepting a backdated TUE.

ASO and UCI did bet everythig on Armstrong so much so that they enabled him to win 7 in a row.
To be fair, Armstrong had cortico's in his body that were below 'the positive' number. Ergo, I believe he had 4 wereas 6 was allowed, with a tue of course. But hell, everyone had a tue for saddledicksore back then. Except Superlance, he was so clean.

Is there an overview on tues for Team Sky or would that be too transparent?
Old 12-31-12, 21:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearless Greg Lemond View Post
To be fair, Armstrong had cortico's in his body that were below 'the positive' number. Ergo, I believe he had 4 wereas 6 was allowed, with a tue of course. But hell, everyone had a tue for saddledicksore back then. Except Superlance, he was so clean.

The funny thing about the cortico's was he was asked before the cortico postive about doping and he replied he would never put anything in his body after having had cancer...

I wonder when Wiggins will make a similar faux pas....
Old 12-31-12, 21:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearless Greg Lemond View Post

A list of TUEs for Sky would be really interesting. Considering they have guys on their books with rare tropical blood diseases and such.