2013 Nordic Skiing/Biathlon Thread - Page 9 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Cafe > General

General Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Old 12-31-12, 13:47

I know, it's ludicrous.
Old 12-31-12, 21:31

Sweden had their traditional TdS ski prep fiasco yesterday.

http://translate.google.se/translate...langdakarna%2F
Old 01-01-13, 05:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler'sTwin View Post
Sweden had their traditional TdS ski prep fiasco yesterday.

http://translate.google.se/translate...langdakarna%2F
They are waxers not magicians. Hellner uses too much grip wax. He has payed for it many times in the tour. Usually the waxers get the blame by the Swedish media. He isn't technically skilled enough to adapt his technique to the conditions. No one could expect to have a good grip in that loose snow for too long.

Olsson, technically skilled, and adaptable. He had a good race.
Emil. Uses power. With such loose snow, that is not effective.
Richardsson, great double polling and adaptable when on form. He is not yet in top shape, and his double polling would be less effective because of the loose snow and the thin layer of it over the asphalt.

Halvarsson did a good race, my guess is that he has the skills to adapt to the situation.

Had the Russians not put down the gas for the entire race, and a larger group had come together Helners overdose on grip wax might have been beneficial, since there would have been a lot more tight maneuvering.

But as the race turned out, he was exposed.

I remember the classics race on the second last day from two years ago. All the Norwegians went for maximum glide. On the uphill they were the first in herring bone, but on the downhill they were fast. Hellner had a horrible race, while Richardsson had a good race. The waxers were blamed, but the truth is Hellner used to much wax and had a horrible glide as a consequence.

I think the waxing team is just doing PR. Though they should work on their organizing skills if it was as chaotic as the article implies.
Old 01-01-13, 15:31

quite a comeback by emil jönsson after a fall in the 1st round

my my, a vulgar display of power from randall.

Last edited by meat puppet; 01-01-13 at 16:22.
Old 01-01-13, 16:22

You still get a whole MINUTE of bonus time for this crap?! Thank god there's only one of these this year.

Forever tête de la course.
Old 01-01-13, 17:27

Proof that swedes are more sportsmanlike than norwegians (Østberg vs Steira, Jönsson/Halvarsson vs Hellner).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToreBear View Post
They are waxers not magicians. Hellner uses too much grip wax. He has payed for it many times in the tour. Usually the waxers get the blame by the Swedish media. He isn't technically skilled enough to adapt his technique to the conditions. No one could expect to have a good grip in that loose snow for too long.

Olsson, technically skilled, and adaptable. He had a good race.
Emil. Uses power. With such loose snow, that is not effective.
Richardsson, great double polling and adaptable when on form. He is not yet in top shape, and his double polling would be less effective because of the loose snow and the thin layer of it over the asphalt.

Halvarsson did a good race, my guess is that he has the skills to adapt to the situation.

Had the Russians not put down the gas for the entire race, and a larger group had come together Helners overdose on grip wax might have been beneficial, since there would have been a lot more tight maneuvering.

But as the race turned out, he was exposed.

I remember the classics race on the second last day from two years ago. All the Norwegians went for maximum glide. On the uphill they were the first in herring bone, but on the downhill they were fast. Hellner had a horrible race, while Richardsson had a good race. The waxers were blamed, but the truth is Hellner used to much wax and had a horrible glide as a consequence.

I think the waxing team is just doing PR. Though they should work on their organizing skills if it was as chaotic as the article implies.
Skiers are reluctant to criticize the ski prep team and any criticism is usually toned down. It means something when a skier says "worst skis I ever had". Jönsson would never, ever have said that if the skis did not suck. Even Olsson lost 45 seconds.
Old 01-01-13, 20:32

Martin Fourcade fell on the final lap of the pursuit in the Gelsenkirchen World Team Challenge event, and has injured his shoulder. So far reports are tentative on how long he will be out; he will definitely miss the whole Oberhof meet, but may potentially miss Ruhpolding, Antholz and even the World Championships in Nové Mesto as well, depending on how long it takes to heal. He will be replaced in the French lineup by his brother, who returns from injury this week.

Forever tête de la course.
Old 01-01-13, 23:13

Quote:
Proof that swedes are more sportsmanlike than norwegians (Østberg vs Steira, Jönsson/Halvarsson vs Hellner).
I had problems making sense of your statement. For me the Østberg/steira situation was a beautiful sacrifice, and a sign of team spirit. While the Jönsson/Halvarsson vs Hellner situation was a heat were the Swedes were borderline unsportsmanlike in the way Jönsson and Halvarsson went about sabotaging a competitors chances in a race.

The fact that Hellner didn't make it through was to me poetic justice. All the stuff they did against Northug to get Hellner to the final, and they still managed to mess it up by out sprinting Hellner. And even more comical Jönsson/Halvarsson ended up last in the final.

So for me ethically, it is sabotaging your opponent vs. sabotaging your self to get a team mate a head.

When the Swedes did that during the race, I was about to chop off my foot( I'm 1/16th Swedish), drive to Sweden and burn down my parents cabin there, to cleanse the shame of being connected to Sweden.

But I remembered that my blood alcohol level might still be above the 0,2% level so I got a cup of coffee instead.

And luckily Cologna got caught on something putting him only 7 seconds ahead of Northug for the next stage. So the damage was minimal in the end.

But back to your original statement, I really was puzzled so I decided to get some info from the other side of the border.

http://www.expressen.se/sport/langds...nte-mina-ogon/

http://www.aftonbladet.se/sportblade...cle16005890.ab

http://www.aftonbladet.se/sportblade...cle16005946.ab

The story seems to be that the Jönsson/Halvarsson beat Hellner to the finish as it would never cross their mind to think tactically like those devious unsportsmanlike Norwegians.

Though they seemed to do all in their power to keep Hellner in the game in the earlier heats though.

Strange.

For balance here is one from a Norwegian tabloid:
http://www.dagbladet.no/2013/01/01/s...thug/25041759/

No sour grapes there.

To be frank I found the Swedish tactics a bit irritating. Unsportsmanlike? I don't know. Perhaps it was more annoying how successful they were in blocking him? Perhaps I'm too biased to asses it?

As for Steira/Østberg, I don't see it as unsportsmanlike at all. Perhaps i'm too biased here too?

Quote:
Skiers are reluctant to criticize the ski prep team and any criticism is usually toned down. It means something when a skier says "worst skis I ever had". Jönsson would never, ever have said that if the skis did not suck. Even Olsson lost 45 seconds.
Back to waxing.

I agree. Dissing your wax technicians is a big no no. That's why I am skeptical when tabloids refer criticism from skiers.

On his blog he is much more diplomatic:
http://annaoemil.se/2012/12/30/typiskt/

Now I'm not saying the swedes had great skiis, it's more that under the conditions some skiers are going to have problems no matter how good the skiis are.

And the conditions were really bad for everybody.
http://www.aftonbladet.se/sportblade...cle16001362.ab

And Olsson lost a lot of time because he got stuck in traffic. Also he was working on his own while Legkov and Vyleg. were alternating on keeping the pace. Had Olsson been in Hellners position from the start he would have had no problems keeping up.
Old 01-01-13, 23:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by meat puppet View Post
quite a comeback by emil jönsson after a fall in the 1st round

my my, a vulgar display of power from randall.
and good freestyle tecnique. She has certainly improved over the the years. Since there is a rest day tomorrow we might see another great race from her on thursday. But my guess is lack of recovery time will begin to take a toll at the end of the week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine Seguros View Post
You still get a whole MINUTE of bonus time for this crap?! Thank god there's only one of these this year.
What did'nt you like?
I thought it was quite exciting.
Old 01-01-13, 23:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine Seguros View Post
Martin Fourcade fell on the final lap of the pursuit in the Gelsenkirchen World Team Challenge event, and has injured his shoulder. So far reports are tentative on how long he will be out; he will definitely miss the whole Oberhof meet, but may potentially miss Ruhpolding, Antholz and even the World Championships in Nové Mesto as well, depending on how long it takes to heal. He will be replaced in the French lineup by his brother, who returns from injury this week.
That's bad news. He did race oddly that final lap, I guess this explains why.

Do you know if the injury only affects his shooting, or does it affect his skiing too?

I'm hoping he goes all out for Val di Fiemme in the 15k freestyle and the mens relay. He would strenghten the team in the relay, and due to bad skiis we never really got to see what he could do in the 15k in Gallivare.