Do you ever let the hair grow back? - Page 7 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > General

General Discuss your experiences road riding, share knowledge or other general road cycling topics. A doping discussion free forum.

Old 11-10-12, 15:14

Don't really shave, I use hair clippers don't like the shaved look. Like the clipper look, looks nice and trim best of both worlds.
Old 11-16-12, 20:52

I used to shave my legs to fit in with the crowd, but I know kinda equate it with wannabe's. There's no sensible reason to do it except to look like the other guys in their pro team replica kits. Far enough, if you like the look of it, do it. If you don't then let the hair grow. I'm not sure I want to align myself with pro riders or their "traditions" anymore or be told by supposed "rule-setters" what's right or wrong.

Do what you think is right but don't judge other people's ability on a bike on how much they want to fit in with the crowd.
Old 11-21-12, 10:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boeing View Post
Do you let the locks grow back on your legs?

I typically shave year round for comfort. It is growing back now after a crash out opened a world of hurt. Cant reach. First time in maybe 10 years

So a question for all : is there ever a point in the season where you allow the hair on your legs to return?
Right now. Because I wear long tights and because I don't ride hard any more so massage is not as important and because i am lazy.

Not for long (pun not intended), though because I don't like them hairy.
Old 11-21-12, 10:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by laziali View Post
Any time you like, princess

Signs you are a Fred:

1. Hairy legs
2. more than 8% body fat (14% for the ladies)
3. Mirror
4. Chainring "tat"
5. Kit doesn't match
6. kit isn't race fit (see sign 2)
7. tape and saddle don't match
8. insufficient stem slam vs saddle height
9. non-existent or non-sharp tan lines
10. riding slow
Love no. 9.
Old 01-01-13, 01:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fowsto Cope-E View Post
I think part of the argument here stems from the fact that, at least where I live, racers and others that ride on road bikes with all the appropriate gear are referred to as cyclists while everyone else who rides a bike would be called a bike rider. So, it would be the opposite of what Redheaddane has been saying. And a fred does not include commuters. A fred would be a cyclist, not just anyone who rides bikes, who does not shave his legs, wears loose fitting clothes, has a mirror on his bike, etc.
I've been riding a bike long enough to have a number of pet peeves and the disambiguation between "fred" "serious bike rider" "commuters", and worse still "recumbent riders" is high on my list.

The more riders on pretty much any safe bike, the better. Yeah, yeah I know the Freds can be a handful if you are trying to ride in a group with one. But it's no excuse for the typical high-strung roadie shunning they get.

I am riding again and don't shave. Not shaving violates the unspoken standard of behavior (fast == shaven) in the subculture and the violation makes some uncomfortable. I like that! Clobbering the shaven on bikes 2-5x the cost of mine in kit that doesn't match, and "high" stem, is a sweet, sweet pleasure. Now, I'm not crushing all local talent, but I'm riding enough now to clobber many of them that have bought the look and will not be riding 2 years from now.

Last edited by DirtyWorks; 01-01-13 at 01:48.
Old 01-01-13, 03:50

I like smooth legs.
Old 01-01-13, 05:43

I have blond, sparse hair on my legs, so I have the best of both worlds: I look like a wannabe-pro d--khead, without having to be one.

PS. I like smooth legs, too.
Old 01-02-13, 06:22

I get them waxed - so much quicker and easier. About 4-5weeks is the longest I'll let it grow back - any longer and it becomes a problem at the next waxing appointment.

As that classes me as a "non-shaver", I'll wait to be told just what category I fit into...
Old 01-02-13, 20:30

Yes, and I fear it is permanent...
Old 01-06-13, 05:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyWorks View Post
I am riding again and don't shave. Not shaving violates the unspoken standard of behavior (fast == shaven) in the subculture and the violation makes some uncomfortable. I like that! Clobbering the shaven on bikes 2-5x the cost of mine in kit that doesn't match, and "high" stem, is a sweet, sweet pleasure. Now, I'm not crushing all local talent, but I'm riding enough now to clobber many of them that have bought the look and will not be riding 2 years from now.
DW, you're very likely crushing the wannabes who still fail the Fred-test - they are falling foul of rules 2, 9 and 10 above - the other rules people can buy their way into, but those three take talent, hard-work and dedication to the cause. If you're smashing guys who meet all 10 rules, then I'm impressed and you can ride just as hairy legged as you damn well please with no criticism from this quarter Strava doesn't lie ...