Who will win the 2013 GIRO? (Second round) - Page 19 - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

View Poll Results: Who will win the 2013 GIRO?
Wiggins 52 30.41%
Nibali 51 29.82%
Rodriguez 11 6.43%
Hesjedal 10 5.85%
Gesink 21 12.28%
Sanchez 5 2.92%
Basso 6 3.51%
Scarponi 2 1.17%
A colombian 4 2.34%
Other/Vino 9 5.26%
Voters: 171. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 01-01-13, 12:58

I know what you mean (you generally diminish everything poor Robert does... interesting phenomenon) but of course VDB went all out. He needed seconds on Vino, to get the biggest result of his career: a podium in the Dauphiné.
Old 01-01-13, 13:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18-Valve. (pithy) View Post
I dunno, Gesink's Allevard level wasn't all that impressive, IMO, or he would have easily gapped Van Den Broeck, who didn't seem to really bother.

Wiggins seemed kind of weak, though. If he climbs like that he might as well not show up.
Allevard is still the last time we saw him tackle a real climb full power(despite not feeling that good) and it's still better than his previous Dauphine showings in terms of climbing. His hilly ITT in 2011 there wasn't very good either, I'd say he's got a chance of riding a good GC if he destroys the TT and then hangs on in the mountains. And Wiggins has improved of course since 2011, like every 30 year old does. He, Hesjedal and Nibali are probably on the podium.

Does anyone know the shark's or Hesjedal's schedule before the Giro? If they are they going to meet Wiggins(probably Tirreno), it will be a good preview of the Giro.
Old 01-01-13, 13:07

Shark will do Tirreno, and the Ardennes classics (why God, why?)

Hesj will do... no idea what Hesj will do. If it's anything like last year, we won't be able to gauge his form until halfway through the Giro.
Old 01-01-13, 13:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by theyoungest View Post
Shark will do Tirreno, and the Ardennes classics (why God, why?)

Hesj will do... no idea what Hesj will do. If it's anything like last year, we won't be able to gauge his form until halfway through the Giro.
Hesjedal idd had his up and downs in his Giro prep last year. His Fleche attack was very strong, and he was in the main group of chasers in LBL. But then he suddenly lost 15 minutes in the last stage of Romandie and a DNS in the final TT. It's very hard to guage him, I thought at that moment that his form was already getting worse, or that he was ill.
Old 01-01-13, 14:10

Quote:
I know what you mean (you generally diminish everything poor Robert does... interesting phenomenon) but of course VDB went all out. He needed seconds on Vino, to get the biggest result of his career: a podium in the Dauphiné.
I'd "diminish" any of the big guns' rides but Rodriguez and Vino's. I mean, Evans was abysmal. Wiggins only decent. That's okay being that it's a prep race, but still, it was pretty embarrassing if you ask me.

Anyhow, VDB needed more than "seconds" on Vino. All he did was secure his 4th spot on GC, and take some extra time, IMO. He didn't even sprint until the finish line. Compare his sprints on MTFs in the Tour de France. That's going all out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentacycle View Post
Allevard is still the last time we saw him tackle a real climb full power(despite not feeling that good) and it's still better than his previous Dauphine showings in terms of climbing.
I think he was much stronger in 2009, despite going for GC back then. VAM is misleading on short-ish, steep-ish climbs like Allevard.
Old 01-01-13, 14:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18-Valve. (pithy) View Post
I think he was much stronger in 2009, despite going for GC back then. VAM is misleading on short-ish, steep-ish climbs like Allevard.
You can hardly call Collet d'Allevard a short climb, it's over 11 kms. And the way Hagen sprinted up the first few kms indicated it was full gas from the bottom.
In 2009 Gesink could hardly finish ahead of the other Tour riders(Evans, Contador and Valverde were looking at each other more then) and he lost almost 2 minutes on the Ventoux to post-Giro Szmyd, instead of the 30 seconds he lost to Rodriguez(who's a much better climber than Szmyd ofc) in post-Giro shape.

Of course the VAM of the Ventoux is an entirely different story, but I don't know these numbers for both races. Do you have a link please?
Old 01-01-13, 15:07

allevard 2011 was one of the fastest ascents of last 7 years. misleading though for one's potential because everyone went really fast, seemed like a kind of engine test
Old 01-01-13, 15:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jens_attacks View Post
allevard 2011 was one of the fastest ascents of last 7 years. misleading though for one's potential because everyone went really fast, seemed like a kind of engine test
But how fast did they go? Could someone post a link of those please, it could clear things up a bit for me as well...
Old 01-01-13, 15:24

around 6,6-6,7 w/kg for purito for 32 minutes. but the rest went fast too
Old 01-01-13, 16:06

Quote:
An Italian sponsor?
Saeco ?
Closed Thread