U.S. Politics - Page 605 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Cafe > General

General Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Old 12-27-12, 19:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott SoCal View Post

We aren't that much in the dark. The only thing we are really missing here are the hookers on the highway turnouts.
They were hard at work on the N6 in the forêt de Fontainebleau on Christmas day.

A sure sign of a civilised nation.
Old 12-29-12, 20:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroDeal View Post
So Gerard Depardieu, the only frenchman with a backbone, is going Galt. How long before Americans do the same?
Looks like the coast is clear for Monsieur Depardieu.

French court rejects 75 percent millionaires' tax

I wonder if he'll get his passport back?

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...8BS05M20121229
Old 12-29-12, 20:37

Quote:
Looks like the coast is clear for Monsieur Depardieu.

French court rejects 75 percent millionaires' tax

I wonder if he'll get his passport back?

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...8BS05M20121229
There is still the ISF (Impôt de Solidarité sur la Fortune, virtually all new taxes include the word "solidarity") that will eat up his net assets at the rate of 1.5% a year, not to mention the inheritance tax that gives up to 60% to the state. The "rich" have been leaving France for years, long before any mention of the 75% income tax rate.

The scary part is that despite the incredibly high level of taxes the deficit has been huge every year for decades and yet the infrastructure is in poor shape.
Old 12-31-12, 22:00

I sure hope that all the usual suspects here haven't been murdered by maniacs! It's been worryingly quiet in here.

Rather than get into this last gasp fiscal cliff business, I'll just wish you all a happy and healthy 2013!
Old 12-31-12, 22:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amsterhammer View Post
I sure hope that all the usual suspects here haven't been murdered by maniacs! It's been worryingly quiet in here.

Rather than get into this last gasp fiscal cliff business, I'll just wish you all a happy and healthy 2013!
Nah, don't worry we're all fine, I've been off racing cyclocross, Brodeal has been stuck in a long line in the gun department at Walmart, ChrisE is probably too grumpy to post anything and Scott, Rhubarb and Glenn have been drunk since Xmas.

Proud member of the Clinic 1200
Old 01-01-13, 15:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Januss View Post
Nah, don't worry we're all fine, I've been off racing cyclocross, Brodeal has been stuck in a long line in the gun department at Walmart, ChrisE is probably too grumpy to post anything and Scott, Rhubarb and Glenn have been drunk since Xmas.
You mistake my intolerence of stupidity with grumpiness.

On a lighter note, I see some deal has been reached while kicking the can of cuts down the road. What makes me think that on the evening of Feb 28 we will have the same mass media hysteria that we have had the last couple of days?

We will see if this passes the pandering nutjob house:

Payroll taxes returning? Good. No more stealth dismantling of SS. I was always confused why the wingnuts were against this.

$400k taxes going up 5%, along with their capital gains? Meh.

AMT fixed? WTF took so long?

Inheritance tax goes up 5%? Meh.

Unemployment benefits extended? I'm not a fan of this, though I understand the reality of the situation both politically and as a result of economic policies the last 30 years. Still, eventually individuals and society will need to adapt and take ownership of their situation, however that may be. "We" cannot keep paying for our bad decisions in political leadership forever, but there is no political leadership to fix this problem.

"The deal passed by the Senate would cap itemized deductions for individuals making $250,000 and for married couples making $300,000." I'm not sure what that means...does it mean if you make more than $250k no more itemized deductions? So, theoretically somebody making $249k could take home more net than somebody making $251k? Or, will it be phased in to a point one is not penalized for making more money? That must be right.

I say 'meh' above on taxes....it is not that I don't like paying taxes. I don't mind at all, as long as what those taxes are being used for is productive. These small increases would have zero impact on my lifestyle and I blow alot of $, and I would think that would be the case for 95% of the others affected. That is what makes the wingnut position so assinine, but which perfectly illustrates how broken the system is that spineless Dems would put this on the table, and wingnuts would go to bat for such a small constituency.

I don't like my taxes being used the way they are being used, and that is what it mostly boils down to when it comes to arguing with somebody like Scott about tax rates. He doesn't know the "magic" rate that would be of most benefit to society any more than I do.

The bloated military budget is not productive, as well as the military decisions being made by this country are making us less safe IMO. I would bet my life savings that it will not be cut on Feb 28 to the level in the bill. Those tax increases as well as a cut to something like, oh I don't know, just 10 times more $ spent on military than the next country, could be used to invest in infrastructure and education opportunities to help the middle class recover and be used for more economic incentive in terms of tax credits for companies. Alpe, I, etal have posted this before in here.

There is nothing to see in all this BS until the middle class is restored with opportunity, and as a bonus that 47% number will come down. What a deal, that is why it won't happen. Gotta keep bombing the evil doers with democracy bombs so they will start liking us, and pandering to people and entities that are wasting this country.
Old 01-01-13, 15:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Januss View Post

Chris isn't grumpy. He's just been in a really bad mood the last 20 years.
Old 01-01-13, 17:51

Quote:
The last 20? No way...only periodic fits of angst followed by longterm smugness.

I have pretty much trained myself not to worry about anything I cannot control. I let loose in here...you shouldn't try to extrapolate that onto my every day life.
Old 01-01-13, 20:24

Quote:
I see that you avoided denying that you've been drunk since Xmas?

The info and stats on this excellent link go some way to explaining where a lot of the deficit has been going to, and continues to go to.

http://www.cepr.net/calculators/hc/hc-calculator.html

Dear God, that was another post from ChrisE where I caught myself nodding in agreement.......
Old 01-01-13, 20:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amsterhammer View Post

Dear God, that was another post from ChrisE where I caught myself nodding in agreement.......
I know, scary huh?

Proud member of the Clinic 1200